Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited to 50A - ordered with a HPWC - what to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had the estimate guy from Mr Electric check things out today - he seems to think that I have the room for it, but then again he just checked for breaker space. Did not look like any calculation has been done by him. They will get me quote next week but I am worried that they will get paid and in the middle of the job say "oops we really can only do the 60A". I guess I better get that in writing from them!

Hi, Sam.

Literally just plugged into my 60A HPWC. Here's a picture of the charging rate:

FYI, 55 km/hr charging = 34 mi/hr.
2013-09-07 00.05.20.png

Client called me today on short notice, wants to look at a house 40 miles away. That's 80 miles round trip and I had a 120 mile charge at the time. No problem! Plugged into my HPWC and added the additional mileage in about 90 minutes. I couldn't have done that with anything less than the HPWC at 80A. Thank goodness!

1. Keep the HPWC and install it. It is high quality & long lasting. Hook it up as best you can knowing that the car sets the rate: if car is @18A then it will draw 18A every time you plug it in.

2. Keep the UMC in trunk where it belongs.

3. Electricians can be clueless or hustlers; no telling where these relationships will end up.
--

Thanks! I am getting a second opinion just in case - SolarCity does not service my area any more, so they recommended MrElectric, who apparently has done 5 Tesla charger installs in the last week alone!

I guess that King of Prussia mall store is really generating some traction in the Philly area...

If I can get the HPWC going at 80A inside my garage, I might see how much extra a 14-50 outlet outside might be for the occasional guest PlugSharer.

Sam.

85 kWh | Grey | Tan Leather | Obeche Matte | 19" Primacy | Tech Pkg | Parking Sensors | Fog Lights | Parcel Shelf | Body Colored Roof | Air Suspension | HPWC | Ordered 8/22/13 | Confirmed 9/1/13 | Assembly Date: 10/7/13 | Delivery Date: ~10/15/13 | #?????

Mr. Electric--stay away, unless you have money to burn. Search the forum, example simple 14-50 they wanted $650, found local electrician $200. I would steer clear of Mr. Electric, find a good electrician on Yelp!

Took your advice already texex91 - just had a 3rd opinion show up for estimate. Actually recommended by a local P85+ owner.

Already have my first electrician's estimate that said all he can put in is a 60A breaker connected to HPWC @ $700. Mr. Electric said they will put in 2 x 50A to get 100A which I thought was weird, but they haven't gotten back to me yet for me to tell them I really want 100A in one breaker. And then finally these last guys who said they can do 100A by moving some stuff around.

Mr. Electric said they will put in 2 x 50A to get 100A which I thought was weird, but they haven't gotten back to me yet for me to tell them I really want 100A in one breaker.

Erm, just... no. I don't know who, or why they told you this, but they can't do that and the person you talked to doesn't really have a clue. I'd be scared to talk to them again.

So finally got actual estimate from Mr. Electric - to install a 100A breaker and HPWC is $1450 including the permit. I asked how much was to run a 14-50 outlet outside, and they quoted $599 if included in the same permit.

Just waiting on the last contractor and then I guess I get to make a decision on whether to go for $1000 or so for 60A HPWC, $1450 for 100A HPWC, or $2050 for 100A HPWC and 14-50 outside.

In my case I doubt my house could have even handled a 50A outlet for charging. I had my main panel replaced and a second meter installed. It was a good thing too. Any electrical work the previous owner of my house did was wrong. In the main breaker panel we found he put 30A breakers on 15A circuits! Generally I wasn't having any problems using the NEMA 14-30 for my dryer (I have a gas dryer) but it is nice to be able to charge faster when needed and to have the second meter for a better rate. I went with Gray Electric and was pleased with the work he performed.

Well, looks like I found the optimal way to go about it... a HPWC installation @ 100A without any other outlets will run me a quoted price of $703. I will use an Angie's List coupon to further reduce that ($119 for $200 of work) to $622!

I guess for those that will want to PlugShare the HPWC I will have to open the garage while they charge. The 14-50 outlet externally was actually quoted to be more expensive at $748 additional!

So finally got actual estimate from Mr. Electric - to install a 100A breaker and HPWC is $1450 including the permit. I asked how much was to run a 14-50 outlet outside, and they quoted $599 if included in the same permit.

Just waiting on the last contractor and then I guess I get to make a decision on whether to go for $1000 or so for 60A HPWC, $1450 for 100A HPWC, or $2050 for 100A HPWC and 14-50 outside.

I maybe it will would help to know that I received several quotes between $400-$800 to install a 100amp 240v HPWC on a 200amp pannel. The requirement for the panel was to have a 200amps. So if your home has a 100amp panel you must upgrade the panel to 200amp if you want a 100amp breaker just for the HPWC. if you have a 100 amp panel Really the cheapest route would be to stay with a 50amp 240vt dryer plug.

I think you can find someone to install the 50am 240vt for around $500, on a 100amp panel and the cost is about the same for a 100amp / HPWC on 200amp panel. If you have to upgrade the panel you are looking at $1800 - $2500 in addition to your HPWC. It would be almost better to submitter just for the car in addition to the HPWC.

good luck