TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Limited trim options

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by flar, Dec 20, 2016.

1. flar

flar Member

Now that they've switched Model X ordering to a limited set of interior combinations I find that my desired configuration is no longer possible. I was hoping to order the white seats with the Figured Ash trim, but now the only way to get the white seats is with the Dark Ash decor. (And yet Model S continues to allow full customization on interior choices.)

Has anybody been successful in getting them to custom order the different interior panels? My salesman tried and the best he could come up with was to order the trim pieces as replacement parts and spend a couple of hours of labor to swap them to the tune of about $1100.

I guess, as a backup, anybody order any of the 3 leather seating options that would rather have Dark Ash and we could swap?

2. flar

flar Member

Replying to my own post...

I don't remember what the costs were prior to the shift from customization to decor packages, but I just realized that the Figured Ash decor is a $750 upgrade over the Dark Ash for a Model S, so $1100 isn't as far fetched as it might seem at first. Especially because the parts quote for that was less than $750 so if I want to try my own handiwork I could possibly save some money by just ordering the trim parts.

Anybody go inside one of these doors and know how hard it would be to swap the trim pieces myself?

3. andrewket

andrewket Well-Known Member

You can no longer order obeche on the S, so there were changes there as well.

4. flar

flar Member

True, but you can't order that anywhere so that's more of an issue of eliminating an option completely out of their supply chain than tying options to each other. Both cars are now limited to "Dark Ash", "Figured Ash" or "Carbon Fiber", but the selections are independent on the S and batched on the X.

I feel comfortable going through with my order and just ordering the Figured Ash replacement parts on the side at least financially, but it would be so much nicer to have the car just built that way rather than pulling apart the doors on a brand new car...

5. Casey_S

Casey_S Member

I feel you on this. Wanted to order black headliner with tan seats but that's been eliminated as well. OA said these were the most ordered configurations anyway, personally none of them do anything for me.

6. mohanman

mohanman Member

I got the Tan seats with the white headliner. I wish I went with black headliner, does anyone know does tesla do after sales replacement of headliner for customers?

7. flar

flar Member

Everything can be replaced, the question is cost and time. If something happened to your headliner in a crash, or if there was a defect with the original part, they'd have to replace it so there must be a process to do it, but it may not be cost effective. I was quoted an approximate labor estimate for replacing all of the wood trim pieces and it works out to around 3 hours of labor which makes the process only about 50% more expensive than if I ordered the trim option from the Model S line (where the figured ash is a separate paid option).

I can imagine that the headliner might be glued in in large parts and so the labor might be a bit more intensive, though.