Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited trim options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

flar

Apr 20, 2013
Now that they've switched Model X ordering to a limited set of interior combinations I find that my desired configuration is no longer possible. I was hoping to order the white seats with the Figured Ash trim, but now the only way to get the white seats is with the Dark Ash decor. (And yet Model S continues to allow full customization on interior choices.)

Has anybody been successful in getting them to custom order the different interior panels? My salesman tried and the best he could come up with was to order the trim pieces as replacement parts and spend a couple of hours of labor to swap them to the tune of about $1100.

I guess, as a backup, anybody order any of the 3 leather seating options that would rather have Dark Ash and we could swap?

Replying to my own post...

I don't remember what the costs were prior to the shift from customization to decor packages, but I just realized that the Figured Ash decor is a $750 upgrade over the Dark Ash for a Model S, so $1100 isn't as far fetched as it might seem at first. Especially because the parts quote for that was less than $750 so if I want to try my own handiwork I could possibly save some money by just ordering the trim parts.

Anybody go inside one of these doors and know how hard it would be to swap the trim pieces myself?

True, but you can't order that anywhere so that's more of an issue of eliminating an option completely out of their supply chain than tying options to each other. Both cars are now limited to "Dark Ash", "Figured Ash" or "Carbon Fiber", but the selections are independent on the S and batched on the X.

I feel comfortable going through with my order and just ordering the Figured Ash replacement parts on the side at least financially, but it would be so much nicer to have the car just built that way rather than pulling apart the doors on a brand new car...

Everything can be replaced, the question is cost and time. If something happened to your headliner in a crash, or if there was a defect with the original part, they'd have to replace it so there must be a process to do it, but it may not be cost effective. I was quoted an approximate labor estimate for replacing all of the wood trim pieces and it works out to around 3 hours of labor which makes the process only about 50% more expensive than if I ordered the trim option from the Model S line (where the figured ash is a separate paid option).

I can imagine that the headliner might be glued in in large parts and so the labor might be a bit more intensive, though.