Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limited Windshield Wiper Use in Camp Mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my favorite things to do in my M3 is go to the drive-in. There's nothing better than finding a great parking spot, putting up the blackout screens in the windows, placing the car in Camp Mode, and settling in for a double feature.

But I've had an issue come up sometimes with being unable to use the windshield wipers when in Camp mode. I hit the button on the stalk, and nothing happens. I change the setting from auto to something else and still nothing. When I take the car out of Camp, the wipers work normally.

I usually will only need the wipers when it's really humid, but the last time I went it started raining. I ended up having to go back and forth from Camp to turning the car "on" (I'm sure there's a better word than that) as needed. If I just leave the car on and don't use Camp mode in these instances, the vehicle will automatically power down after a few minutes. And that's quite jarring since I need the car on because the audio is from the radio.

So, has anyone else experienced something like this? Any suggestions? I appreciate any help!

Attachments

• 20220909_201917.jpg
    20220909_201917.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 135
  • 20220812_224921.jpg
    20220812_224921.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 59
If I just leave the car on and don't use Camp mode in these instances, the vehicle will automatically power down after a few minutes.
Open a door slightly and leave it ajar. On my Model S that increases the screen-on to 20 minutes, and when it shuts off I tap the screen and it instantly turns back on. If it starts raining, I guess tuck a black hand towel into the small window crack.

If you REALLY want the car to stay on, you have to keep it in neutral (with no parking brake, I've done that for over 24 hours 🤣) Bonus, you'll be able to use your wipers. Yes, it annoys me as well that the car disables the wipers while charging, camp mode, anytime the car isn't in Ready mode (to drive, that's what Prius calls it.)

I have a drive-in just 2 minutes from my house. It's OLD, older than I am, yet still operating and popular! There's also 2 more drive-ins 45 minutes away from me.