Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Limiting output at ~60% charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This has happened a few times recently, but my 2014 S60 has been limiting the power output even when I have plenty of battery left, and I don't understand why. I know the car will automatically limit power output under certain circumstances (low charge to preserve range, extreme temperatures to minimize degradation, etc), but as you can see in the pics I had almost 60% charge and it was 70 degrees outside.

What other scenarios would the car limit its output? Is it possibly related to the health of the battery? Are there any good third-party battery diagnostics apps/tools that I can use? What's going on here?

Attachments

• IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    414 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_6119.JPG
    IMG_6119.JPG
    425.3 KB · Views: 159
This has happened a few times recently, but my 2014 S60 has been limiting the power output even when I have plenty of battery left, and I don't understand why.

My 2015 90D sometimes slows charge, same scenario. Sometimes I have just pulled off the freeway after doing 75 or 80 or so, and I'm guessing the battery is warm. Sometimes, I see I'm paired with some other car at the charger. Sometimes I just switch. Last week I was getting 60 amps, moved to another charger and got 105, more normal, but five minutes later another car pulled into where I had been and got 105. You might check to see if the plug is hot, meaning that the inverter is probably hot, too. Lots of things affect charge level, and Tesla is out to protect the battery FIRST. As they should.

My 2015 90D sometimes slows charge, same scenario. Sometimes I have just pulled off the freeway after doing 75 or 80 or so, and I'm guessing the battery is warm. Sometimes, I see I'm paired with some other car at the charger. Sometimes I just switch. Last week I was getting 60 amps, moved to another charger and got 105, more normal, but five minutes later another car pulled into where I had been and got 105. You might check to see if the plug is hot, meaning that the inverter is probably hot, too. Lots of things affect charge level, and Tesla is out to protect the battery FIRST. As they should.

His question has nothing to do with charging. It's about power output being limited while driving.

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva
This has happened a few times recently, but my 2014 S60 has been limiting the power output even when I have plenty of battery left, and I don't understand why. I know the car will automatically limit power output under certain circumstances (low charge to preserve range, extreme temperatures to minimize degradation, etc), but as you can see in the pics I had almost 60% charge and it was 70 degrees outside.

What other scenarios would the car limit its output? Is it possibly related to the health of the battery? Are there any good third-party battery diagnostics apps/tools that I can use? What's going on here?

Wow, that is strange. I would expect some sort of message to accompany that limiting. When I was having drive unit problems, I got a "Power Reduced" warning message and power was reduced to 100kw. Without any indication, you will probably have to have your service center pull the logs and see what is going on. Note the exact time and day it happens and give that to them.

Power and regen are also limited based on battery temperature. Was it 70 degrees outside when you took that picture, or did you take it after pulling into a garage? When it gets cold and especially if you had your car parked outside in the open where wind blows, it may take you 20miles or more to regain full output power. Another reason for power limit could be overheating, I've had my P85D limit power before after some driving though mountainous terrain.

How long did the power limit stay and did it show up as soon as you started driving or some miles into your drive?

Power and regen are also limited based on battery temperature. Was it 70 degrees outside when you took that picture, or did you take it after pulling into a garage? When it gets cold and especially if you had your car parked outside in the open where wind blows, it may take you 20miles or more to regain full output power. Another reason for power limit could be overheating, I've had my P85D limit power before after some driving though mountainous terrain.

How long did the power limit stay and did it show up as soon as you started driving or some miles into your drive?

I have had this happen on my 2012 P85 as well. I had been driving for 30+ minutes and it was 75-80 degrees F outside. SOC was right around 40%, just above if I recall, and I started to get limited output, not regen, just output. If I got in to it a bit it would put the limit on and then it would go back away. I hadn't been running it hard or particularly fast on the interstate, pretty normal drive. Didn't get a pic though and haven't had the SOC back to that level to test again.

Maybe I should and see what happens. Could maybe be that this is a symptom of the pack aging?

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I have had this happen on my 2012 P85 as well. I had been driving for 30+ minutes and it was 75-80 degrees F outside. SOC was right around 40%, just above if I recall, and I started to get limited output, not regen, just output. If I got in to it a bit it would put the limit on and then it would go back away. I hadn't been running it hard or particularly fast on the interstate, pretty normal drive. Didn't get a pic though and haven't had the SOC back to that level to test again.

Maybe I should and see what happens. Could maybe be that this is a symptom of the pack aging?

This is exactly what is being reported by a couple of members of the danish Tesla owners facebook group as well, so you are not alone with this issue.

According to the users, there have been no official explanation from Tesla on why this is happening, one of them had the battery checked with no faults detected on the pack.

I think you should check again, and if the problem persists, contact Tesla.

• Informative
This is exactly what is being reported by a couple of members of the danish Tesla owners facebook group as well, so you are not alone with this issue.

According to the users, there have been no official explanation from Tesla on why this is happening, one of them had the battery checked with no faults detected on the pack.

I think you should check again, and if the problem persists, contact Tesla.

I will do exactly that... should be able to run it down a bit today.. though it's colder now but that shouldn't matter once I get the pack warmed up a bit.

I've only had my 2013 85 for about a year -- but it has almost always done this. I guess I just assumed it was normal. Anytime it's under 50% it almost always limits. My limit bar is in the exact same place as the yours when it occurs.

Last edited:
My '14 P85 starts limiting around 85%. Usually it exhibits this behavior getting onto a highway or overtaking someone on a country road. The Tesla engineers have pulled logs and don't see it. But they have suggested I may have a BMS problem. Car was supposed to go in for servicing today, however, was rescheduled due to a them losing a transport.

• Informative
I've only had my 2013 85 for about a year -- but it has almost always done this. I guess I just assumed it was normal. Anytime it's under 50% it almost always limits. My limit bar is in the exact same place as the yours when it occurs.

That does not seem right. My S85 pops up with the limit bar only when below 50% and under WOT. It disappears when you back off.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric

Yeah it was a nice day outside that day, so around 70. I think I was driving home from lunch or something and the car had been outside for a while.

What software version are you running? The dash looks different to my car, not sure if it's because I'm in Australia or if it's version.
If you're running a very old version could that have something to do with the battery management? (long shot)