TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Limiting Power?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by R²B, Nov 22, 2014.

1. R²B

R²B All Star

Whenever I accelerate hard I get the dashed yellow line indicating that the Model S is limiting power output. The manual says it will limit power for reasons such as low battery or temperature extremes. I was driving with 150+ miles remaining in 65 degree Phoenix weather, so it doesn't sound like either of those apply. Any idea why my power is being limited?

2. scottm

scottm Active Member

Wife hacked the car from the app while you were driving because she noticed your speed?

3. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Ask Tesla to pull the logs, if you can remember the time when it happened.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Does it happen all the time or just some of the time?

Had you been driving hard in the minutes prior to this?

It's possible the drivetrain was already warm from previous hard driving. If you hadn't been driving hard before, that's unusual and I'd call Tesla.

5. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

mine happens all the time, even when full in any weather (hot or cold). now that I think about it, I really need to check to see if it's limiting to 160kW 100% of the time bc thats my perception every time I slam on it...

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Has your P85 always done that? I haven't seen the limiter yet on my P85 and I've floored it a number of times from a stop.

7. Aargau

Aargau Member

Were you driving straight line or in high lateral g's? I've seen the limiter comes on in tight corners in videos of the car on racetracks.

8. R²B

R²B All Star

#8 R²B, Nov 22, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
    It was straight lines but it was after a little bit of aggressive driving. I'll have to see if it does it every time.

9. LazMan

LazMan Member

I get this all the time. I thought it was the cold. Maybe I should tell Tesla as well.

10. wk057

wk057 Senior Tinkerer

Occasionally I see the limiter line up near the 320kW mark under full accel... doesn't happen every time (pretty sure, but I'm usually paying attention to the road more under full accel....), and it isn't limited much if it actually is at all. My assumption has just been that the yellow dashed line there is showing that max power has been reached, regardless of if it is actually limiting it below max... similar to when the regen limiter line disappears, but appears again when it is hit (like 40kW-ish usually).

11. slcuervo

slcuervo Member

I have seen this very often, but not always. Up until now there's always been a reason behind it: either cold, or low battery, or demanding drive style.

But I've never seen it happening on optimal conditions. I agree with the posts that say you should report it if it is systematically doing it (you can use the report function as soon as it happens, this should help TM).

12. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

The only time I've been power limited because of heat was on the track, and it took a few laps. At all other times it was obvious as to why: cold or low battery.