TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Limo - Taxi Services using Teslas

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by vfx, May 5, 2013.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Those of us that travel for work want to continue the Tesla experience. Now some Car pickups are offering Teslas for Taxi or Limo service

Please use this thread to document with links and or phone numbers where they are in the US. This might make a good Wiki.

Tesla Rentals already have a thread.

I'll edit this list as the contact info is listed.

• This guy in LA has been talking (offline) about getting an S
    • There was a guy in Marin CA who posted he had put in extra sound deadening in his MS for his service. Can't find his thread.
    • Strack Transportation has reported to have a MS. http://www.stracktransportation.com/our-fleet/
    • UBERX in Boston had (has?) an "Easter Egg" MS
    • Others? Post em here!

2. scriptacus

scriptacus Member

I saw a Strack Model S yesterday at the Space X supercharger. Black with the standard TCP badging on the back. Sounds like electric could be a win for some limo services with how much the driver said they send on gas per month for their fleet. Only downside I could see is time spent charging cutting into drive time.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Eco Limo in LA has a hydrogen car in their fleet. Only 3 places to fill it and they are all pretty near each other. I'm told they manage that OK.

It's in the nature of the business to have many things to juggle.

4. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

Most limo's and taxi's do ~200 miles per day. The charging requirements for the Model S fit that nicely, and especially if you have access to a SuperCharger like you do in Los Angeles. An enterprising individual wanting to move in this direction might inquire about purchasing SuperCharger's and installing them for their own use (perhaps also charging access fee's for private owners?).

5. ORB

ORB Member

6. GSP

GSP Member

7. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

8. jcstp

jcstp Active Member

9. JPP

JPP Active Member

Tesla Tours & Transportation in the SF Bay Area (Wine Tours Napa - Curated Wine Scenic Tour in Napa Valley) has 2 black Model S. I used them over the Xmas week to get to and from SFO. They do wine country tours, and since the S has so much cargo space, they can load up the trunk & frunk with cases of wine.

10. Reykjavik

Reykjavik Member

The total cost of ownership may still be a little high for the model S for regular taxi usage. As you drive more, the total cost of ownership per mile drops, but I'm not sure if it is quite enough to make the cut for a regular cab.

For higher end limo service, the S is great, the quiet drive train and spacious interior should be solid selling points.

11. AEdennis

AEdennis Active Member

Agreed. I used them to shuttle my wife and I to the Fremont Factory to pick up our S in November 2013. I would recommend them.

12. Sharkdiver76

Sharkdiver76 Member

This car makes for a perfect taxi, normal fleets of crown vics average $24k(or so) for fuel and normal maintenance a year. Most of the time the are sitting in idle, or short trips. Probably average less than 250 miles per shift. This is more valuable the more it is driven. I would think cost of taxi rides would go down significantly, figure average taxi probably gets 15-20mpg.

13. Vexar

Vexar Member

14. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Won't beat a Prius. They do much better than 15-20mpg and don't need much maintenance. But the Model S' nicer ride and copious luggage space would I'm sure be a nice premium experience.

In NYC, IIRC, the yellow cab average is something like 280 miles per day and the car runs near 24 hours. But I think NYC is an extreme case.

15. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Makes me wonder if there is a private package delivery service developing in the US a la Bjorn in Norway and Uber.

16. Tesss

Tesss Member

17. Gillfoto

Gillfoto Member

Nice car and view, where is it operating? Thanks.

18. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

I don't think he reads this forum often, but he's in the Quebec City region. Here's his instagram: http://instagram.com/teslataxi

19. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Ripped from the headlines:

Chicago limo service, all Teslas:
    emotionchicago.com

Cincinatti hire car sevice, all Teslas, cheap! :
    drivr.com

20. Acmykguy

Acmykguy Member

Western Chicago suburbs electriclimo.com. They have the new 85D's with executive seats. Also have total of 3-4 cars. Great guys to work with.