TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lincoln Navigator Gull Wings?

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by J1mbo, Mar 23, 2016.

1. J1mbo

J1mbo Member

Looks like Falcon Wing Doors might be a "thing" after all...

[​IMG]

Lincoln Navigator Concept

Now they just need to dump the ICE - looks like plenty of room for a battery under that huge floor :)

• Like x 1
  2. HustleSimmons

HustleSimmons Member

3. ElectricTundra

4. Vitold

Vitold Member

"Navigator’s design is, fittingly, inspired by the world of luxury boating. This includes its swept-back style"

Unlike any other car Navigator's swept-back was 'inspired' by luxury boating! I bet 3.5 liter, 400hp engine was inspired by the formula 1. Sometimes I miss marketing talk.

5. siai47

siai47 Member

I always like concepts--then reality steps in. Speaking of steps, where is the handrail so you don't fall off when they are wet or covered with snow? And seeing how it is IC powered, where does the exhaust system go when the steps retract? I doesn't even look like there is enough room between the steps under the vehicle (assuming the drivers side has them also) to leave enough room for anything powertrain related. If it is truly 'inspired' by luxury boating where is the mandatory swim platform? Maybe the liftgate folds down to form that necessary component.

6. scaesare

scaesare Active Member

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...

7. PGeer

PGeer Member

As much as I love the FW for the rear, it would drive me crazy to have to wait for them every time I wanted to get into car. I'm finding I love them for passengers, but I no longer put my daily "stuff" (e.g. briefcase, shopping bags) in the back seat. Rather I use the trunk door instead. If other carmakers decide to go this route, they should pay VERY close attention to the experience with the X.

8. MrBoylan

MrBoylan Member

It has begun! Now when will we see one of the big three come out with a bold new design for a panoramic, extended length front windshield? :)

9. patrick42h

patrick42h Member

Can we talk about the hilarious staircase that leads up into the car? It's like what you see on RVs but bigger.

10. labfm

labfm Member

11. Roamer

Roamer Member

Would work better if the bottom 12 inches of the door flopped down and was an entry step. Then the top falcon would be shorter and you would have an integrated step that was also the lower part of the door.

• Like x 1
  12. JER

JER Member

Like the Model X doors, but not nearly as good.

13. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

14. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

I searched for more info and pictures to see if these were falcon winged or gull winged. Could not find anything that said they were articulated as falcon wings. If not it will be a big failure.

And the Lincoln Navigator is a big hog like it always has been.

15. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

It looks like they're more like Delorean doors. Not really falcon wing doors which hinge at the top window/roof line. But yeah - nice try Lincoln. haha. We'll see if they can bring this out of the concept world and into production.

16. loganintx

loganintx Member

How big will your garage need to be for those doors to open??

17. HookBill

HookBill Member

Hmmmm, big, heavy big-butt Detroit SUV. I wonder how many dinosaurs this beast will suck out of the ground?

18. ABCCBA

ABCCBA Member

Look at the archaic design that still has armrests and a center console in the second row. I bet those same seats even fold down flat like to vintage Navigator. When will Lincoln ever catch up with the times?

• Like x 2
  19. JimmyAZ

JimmyAZ Member

HA!!! +1 to ^. Good point. I know people will disagree, but I can't wait until gas prices spike again. That seems to be the only way to get people to change their thinking about fossil fuels. When gas hit $4+ a gallon here in the US, GMC and Chevy were GIVING their trucks away - $18k off MSRP and such. You'd think we'd be happy with the savings, but I was furious that their trucks had that much profit built into their pricing. Yuck

20. longwait

longwait Member