Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Line Voltage Lost Sync when using J1772 charging at Eaton chargers and CAN JR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've noticed this error twice when using public J1772 chargers with the CAN JR on my 2.0 Roadster.
"Line Voltage Lost Sync"

I'm realizing it may have been the same Eaton charger in both locations. It seems to happen when the Roadster is nearly fully charged. Restarting charging seems to work for a while, then trips it again.

Is this normal? Do I need a firmware upgrade to improve charging? I'm not sure what firmware I have. I should check that.

Here are the locations:
Village Green | Pinehurst, NC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Chapel Hill Visitors Bureau | Chapel Hill, NC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Thanks,
Jon

P.S. The CAN SR is working great. I'm using it nearly every day to charge the Roadster with the Model S UMC. It's a great combination that saves a lot of trunk space.

I've noticed this error twice when using public J1772 chargers with the CAN JR on my 2.0 Roadster.
"Line Voltage Lost Sync"

I'm realizing it may have been the same Eaton charger in both locations. It seems to happen when the Roadster is nearly fully charged. Restarting charging seems to work for a while, then trips it again.

Is this normal? Do I need a firmware upgrade to improve charging? I'm not sure what firmware I have. I should check that.

Here are the locations:
Village Green | Pinehurst, NC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare
Chapel Hill Visitors Bureau | Chapel Hill, NC | Electric Car Charging Station | PlugShare

Thanks,
Jon

P.S. The CAN SR is working great. I'm using it nearly every day to charge the Roadster with the Model S UMC. It's a great combination that saves a lot of trunk space.

FYI: I have had the exact same experience with a Roadster 2.0 #635. Charges fine until about 160-165 miles on a standard rate charge, then trips the Eaton breaker, resulting in a "Line Voltage Lost Sync" fault.
The first was in Columbus, Ohio at an Eaton charger on the street. I thought it was because it was raining that night. But then it happened again several years later at an Eaton charger at an Illinois Institute of Technology parking lot in Chicago, IL. on a warm sunny day.

It is not the CAN JR. I was using the Roadster to J1772 adapter sold by Tesla. I have the latest firmware update for 70 amp charging at Clipper Creek stations. It is more than likely an Eaton problem. Others I have spoken with have experienced similar symptoms.
Tesla examined my Roadster logs and was not able to determine the cause.

FYI: I have had the exact same experience with a Roadster 2.0 #635. Charges fine until about 160-165 miles on a standard rate charge, then trips the Eaton breaker, resulting in a "Line Voltage Lost Sync" fault.
The first was in Columbus, Ohio at an Eaton charger on the street. I thought it was because it was raining that night. But then it happened again several years later at an Eaton charger at an Illinois Institute of Technology parking lot in Chicago, IL. on a warm sunny day.

It is not the CAN JR. I was using the Roadster to J1772 adapter sold by Tesla. I have the latest firmware update for 70 amp charging at Clipper Creek stations. It is more than likely an Eaton problem. Others I have spoken with have experienced similar symptoms.
Tesla examined my Roadster logs and was not able to determine the cause.

I thought it might be related to the point at which the charge current tapers down from 30A.