Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Link ABRP to Tesla map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are thousands of posts about a better route planner (ABRP), but I haven’t been able to find how to link the directions from a ABRP to the Tesla map. Is that possible? If so how, thanks!

Thanks!
I can share it to my calendar but get an error message attempting to share to Tesla app
11D3D46E-13E4-4BB3-A010-3C4A53204954.jpeg

If I understand correctly, you're trying to have a ABRP route display on the dedicated tesla nav map. You can't do that, it only works with it's own directions. If you want to display it on the screen, you can try doing it in the browser. That works to some degree, although it looses connection enough that I don't bother with it.

If I understand correctly, you're trying to have a ABRP route display on the dedicated tesla nav map. You can't do that, it only works with it's own directions. If you want to display it on the screen, you can try doing it in the browser. That works to some degree, although it looses connection enough that I don't bother with it.
Year later, so maybe this wasn't there at the time, but what is the function "send to Tesla" from the share button supposed to do then? All I ever get is "Error".

The only thing you can share with your car, nav wise, from any app, is the address of your final destination....I do this frequently with google maps for example on my phone.

Not the route, not waypoints, not anything but "Route to address X"

Can't speak to that button on ABRP, as without being able to send all the other info I never saw any reason to try sending ABRP stuff to the car.

…I never saw any reason to try sending ABRP stuff to the car.

Tesla NAV doesn’t allow customization. It seemingly plans ‘route to first supercharger as soon as car is expected to be below 20%‘ and advises charging to a higher level, possibly leading to fewer stops, but possibly greater total (travel plus charging) time
ABRP allows customization for route planning, with choice for less total time (presumably more quicker, charging stops)
If one plans a complex long distance route, most likely ABRP routes will differ greatly from Tesla NAV, thus the need for specific route planned to be exported to car

Tesla NAV doesn’t allow customization. It seemingly plans ‘route to first supercharger as soon as car is expected to be below 20%‘ and advises charging to a higher level, possibly leading to fewer stops, but possibly greater total (travel plus charging) time
ABRP allows customization for route planning, with choice for less total time (presumably more quicker, charging stops)
If one plans a complex long distance route, most likely ABRP routes will differ greatly from Tesla NAV, thus the need for specific route planned to be exported to car
Given the fact a route cannot be sent to the Tesla Nav, a workaround is to manually recreate the ABRP route in the Nav by adding all the waypoints. Obviously more time consuming but still doable.

I mean, you cut off the part of my post that already explained why there's no point in sending from ABRP to the car- to instead make it seem like I didn't understand what ABRP does... which is not remotely the case.

Me said:
without being able to send all the other info I never saw any reason to try sending ABRP stuff to the car.

tl;dr

Since you can't send the route and stops, there's no point in sending stuff from that app to the car.

I'm very familiar with how to use ABRP, but it has be used manually because you can not send all that other stuff to the car because the car can not accept via an app any nav info at all other than a single destination.

Now if Tesla ever fixes that to where you can send a whole route with waypoints that'd be another story... but it took them nearly 10 years to add even basic waypoint functionality to the nav system at all so I'm not holding my breath on that.

Last edited: