Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Linking front foot well lights to ambient lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone attempted to link the front foot well lights to the ambient lights in the doors? On the Model 3, I noticed that the foot well lights are on at night. On the Model S, the foot wells are pitch black at night, and I thought it would be nice to have it linked to the ambient light setting. I know it could/should be controlled via software, but the likelihood of having that feature added is probably very low, So before I go and tear apart the door to figure out the wiring harness, I was wondering if anyone has figured this out already.

I have the upgraded extra bright LED foot well lights, I'll likely cut an extra hole in the liner and install the original lights as secondary ambient lights. I guess I could just add the secondary lights and have them wired to a switched 12V source, so they would be on anytime the car is on, but I thought it would be clever to link it to the ambient light toggle.

Model S is supposed to receive ambient footwell lights via firmware update?

I would love to have some lighting in the footwell area. It is so dark up front.

I am adding the light in the center console via the usb mod that was posted in another thread.

If I could have some additional footwell lighting would be great.

So the 2017 Model S and X don't have ambient footwell lights when driving at night? Our '21 MY has them and we love them. The MX is just pitch black, and there are also no lights at all for the cupholder/center console except the tiny USB lights.

All I can control now on my MX is ambient door lighting. That's nice and all, but we love the footwell lights and hope they can make this happen. I really don't want to install aftermarket crap.

So the 2017 Model S and X don't have ambient footwell lights when driving at night? Our '21 MY has them and we love them. The MX is just pitch black, and there are also no lights at all for the cupholder/center console except the tiny USB lights.

All I can control now on my MX is ambient door lighting. That's nice and all, but we love the footwell lights and hope they can make this happen. I really don't want to install aftermarket crap.
Sounds like right now your choices are "aftermarket crap" or "pitch darkness", or ask Tesla if they can retrofit you Tesla OEM lights and how much that will cost, or buy a new Tesla model which has the lights you want. This forum is probably only useful to help with "aftermarket crap", which is second least expensive after "pitch dark" but you seem to have eliminated, so gotta go with more expensive options.

• Funny
Reactions: acoburn73
Sounds like right now your choices are "aftermarket crap" or "pitch darkness", or ask Tesla if they can retrofit you Tesla OEM lights and how much that will cost, or buy a new Tesla model which has the lights you want. This forum is probably only useful to help with "aftermarket crap", which is second least expensive after "pitch dark" but you seem to have eliminated, so gotta go with more expensive options.
They are coming out Friday to replace the bulb on the driver side footwell, but confirmed there is no lighting down there except when the doors open or when the car is first put into park after driving (assuming I have dome lights on auto on). Not a big deal and I can live with the darkness.