Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Linux Kernel Update?? My @$$!

Any Noticeable Difference?

• Yes, browser is faster

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, for another reason

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, the same...

Votes: 10 100.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can confirm that I got the 17.24.30 update on my AP1 model S and it does indeed come with a new kernel.

Previous kernel : "Linux cid 2.6.36.3-pdk25.023-Tesla-20140430 #see_/etc/commit SMP PREEMPT 1202798460 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux"

New kernel : "Linux cid 4.4.35-release-03mar2017-84029-g4ddb263-dirty #see_/etc/commit SMP PREEMPT 1202798460 armv7l armv7l armv7l GNU/Linux"

Like you, I don't see any improvements but I wasn't expecting any...

edit : Oh.. and the browser wasn't updated, still the old WebKit from 2011. Not sure why people thought that a new kernel would make the whole thing 200% faster....

• Informative
Reactions: scottf200
You wouldn't notice any difference in speed from a kernel update alone. It simply lays some more capable foundations that Tesla can now build on. It's now up to Tesla to update the software that runs on top of it.

The sensible thing to do would be to release a bunch of stuff, including a new browser, probably as part of 8.2... that would make sense to me, but I mean... it's Tesla... who knows anymore!

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: Drewflux and Matias
hmmmmm that article about "next week" was dated 6/12 (almost 3 weeks ago!). Never received any of these "coming soon" updates, still on 17.17.4 on May 10th.

I am so frustrated with all the BS tweets and broken promises (well, broken for me.... perhaps others get the promised goodies). WTH why can't they belly up to the bar and commit to a twice monthly update push with whatever the latest is even if its just "bug fixes". I don't wan to hear about how Tesla is saving $$$ by delaying OTA pushes until its a "major release" or some other BS.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been a Tesla owners since 2012 and this has gone beyond rediculous.

hmmmmm that article about "next week" was dated 6/12 (almost 3 weeks ago!). Never received any of these "coming soon" updates, still on 17.17.4 on May 10th.

I am so frustrated with all the BS tweets and broken promises (well, broken for me.... perhaps others get the promised goodies). WTH why can't they belly up to the bar and commit to a twice monthly update push with whatever the latest is even if its just "bug fixes". I don't wan to hear about how Tesla is saving $$$ by delaying OTA pushes until its a "major release" or some other BS.

Sorry for the rant, but I've been a Tesla owners since 2012 and this has gone beyond rediculous.
The word on the street is anything beyond 17.17.17 (or 17.17.4) is detrimental for now on HW2 anyway, so you might not want it just yet.
New kernel started with 17.18x that was quite behind 17.17 on AP front and then 17.22 and 17.24, while catching up and adding parallel park, there are still plenty of complaints about them.

While I agree with you that Elon's tweets about timing are mostly worthless, the new linux kernal update did roll out on 6/16 (17.24.28) and a large portion of the fleet have received it. Both my S's got it within a day of each other. How they decide which cars get update is voodoo but if it's really important to you maybe you can contact service and have it pushed to your car.

• Disagree
Reactions: BigD0g
While I agree with you that Elon's tweets about timing are mostly worthless, the new linux kernal update did roll out on 6/16 (17.24.28) and a large portion of the fleet have received it. Both my S's got it within a day of each other. How they decide which cars get update is voodoo but if it's really important to you maybe you can contact service and have it pushed to your car.

This update has only been "pushed" to AP1 cars, AP2 cars only receive it with a SC or ranger visit. And frankly I hope they stop putting it on AP2 cars, because it has some serious issues with geofencing and phantom braking events.

Reactions: alcibiades
Doesn't appear to be any changes on UI and release notes are identical to 17.24.30. The web browser seems the same as well. Will have to take a drive later to test out AP2 but I suspect this is the actual kernel upgrade release.
there have been many updates with the new 4.4.35 kernel (which only applies to cid anyway, ic and ape are still on old 2.3x kernels)

This update has only been "pushed" to AP1 cars, AP2 cars only receive it with a SC or ranger visit. And frankly I hope they stop putting it on AP2 cars, because it has some serious issues with geofencing and phantom braking events.
Geez, Having a bad day? You may not like the way they rolled it out or the AP2 performance but that doesn't negate the fact that they did release the Linux Kernel update on a fairly widespread basis within 4 days of the article I referenced.

Geez, Having a bad day? You may not like the way they rolled it out or the AP2 performance but that doesn't negate the fact that they did release the Linux Kernel update on a fairly widespread basis within 4 days of the article I referenced.

Yah, I guess, I have the beloved kernel update with the "silky" update and nearly been rear ended twice in my AP2 car because of phantom braking, so yah, I would rather go back to 17.17.4 until they get their crap together.

I'm in the same boat as bigdog, this has taken my highway driving to an almost unusable level if I'm in the carpool lane. If traffic is light I can go to the middle lanes with better marking and it's as good or close to the last one, but the phantom bridges are back in a big way for me. If anyone drives with me now I just won't use it anymore.... it's that bad for me.

I've never understood why we have to wait for the updates to be pushed at us. Why not do like the App Store, let us update as soon as one becomes available for our particular build? Perhaps for safety related updates, still retain push capability, but otherwise let the owner decide when to update?