Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of 70A or 80A publicly accessible charging stations in California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like there might be some value to having a specific thread for higher amp publicly accessible charging stations in California, other than the obvious supercharging stations, available for Model S. I'm aware of the Tesla Highway on Google Maps, but it seems there are some missing based on perusing a few threads. [Mods: please merge if this thread is covered elsewhere as a search didn't reveal anything this specific.] And searching plugshare.com doesn't seem very easy to readily identify the 70A or 80A stations.

I'm aware of the one in downtown Davis on 4th & G.

It seems like there might be some value to having a specific thread for higher amp publicly accessible charging stations in California, other than the obvious supercharging stations, available for Model S. I'm aware of the Tesla Highway on Google Maps, but it seems there are some missing based on perusing a few threads. [Mods: please merge if this thread is covered elsewhere as a search didn't reveal anything this specific.] And searching plugshare.com doesn't seem very easy to readily identify the 70A or 80A stations.

I'm aware of the one in downtown Davis on 4th & G.

I made the suggestion to Recargo that they differentiate by color or ??? the difference between the high power J1772 and the 30 amp stations. They said they would look into it, but that was months ago. Perhaps a few more suggestions along those lines would help the process!

I made the suggestion to Recargo that they differentiate by color or ??? the difference between the high power J1772 and the 30 amp stations. They said they would look into it, but that was months ago. Perhaps a few more suggestions along those lines would help the process!

I agree, that would be helpful, and this was one of the reasons for my suggestion to start a separate thread. I'm happy to write a similar suggestion to them.

I made the same suggestion to Recargo long ago. They gave me some pushback that the amperage isn't in the network DBs (like Chargepoint) but then I argued that they already have the fields in the station form, so they just need to have it as a search variable and we the users will populate it.

BTW, at CES I asked the Chargepoint guys about offering > 30amp stations and they said they had just introduced a 70amp Chargepoint station. So hopefully we'll see some of those start to appear. Whenever I suggest to a business that they put in a station, I suggest they make it higher amperage to future proof it as more and more cars will accept higher amperages like Tesla IMO.

I'm only aware of the longstanding and well known ones at Rabobank in Salinas, Santa Maria, and Goleta, as well as ones in San Luis Obispo.

I have just recently removed my Roadster one at my house in Solana Beach to put up an 80amp Model S station instead (sorry Roadsters--you'll be missed). I need to get that updated on the Tesla Highway map.

BTW, at CES I asked the Chargepoint guys about offering > 30amp stations and they said they had just introduced a 70amp Chargepoint station. So hopefully we'll see some of those start to appear. Whenever I suggest to a business that they put in a station, I suggest they make it higher amperage to future proof it as more and more cars will accept higher amperages like Tesla IMO.

Keeping my fingers crossed we start to see Chargepoint 70amp stations up here in NorCal. Would make day trips to some remote places like wine country with a 60kWh a little easier to plan.

Need to go up to June lake near mammoth ski resort this next week from LA. A 70 amp charger in Lone Pine would make it a lot more feasible. It looks like either I have to spend the night hooked up to a 50 amp RV site in Lone Pine or have to take the Gasser.:mad:

I've had no luck getting information from either Blink or ChargePoint on the deployment of higher capacity J1772 charing. I suppose for now we're all stuck with just the converted Robobank 70 amp units at the five locations throughout the state when we're not near a Supercharger!

If anyone has any further news, it would be great to hear about it..

I've had no luck getting information from either Blink or ChargePoint on the deployment of higher capacity J1772 charing. I suppose for now we're all stuck with just the converted Robobank 70 amp units at the five locations throughout the state when we're not near a Supercharger!

If anyone has any further news, it would be great to hear about it..

Unfortunately that seems to be the case. I did use the 70A charger at Davis the weekend before last and it worked great with twin chargers.

I know the following reference is to a very old post (almost 2 years), but I believe the info is still useful, if not 100% accurate due to its age (for example: Newport Beach Tesla Store: was probably converted to J plug ?). But the public locations (non-Tesla-store) should still be the same.

Hope this helps: Nissan Leaf - Page 94 (scroll down to post #934)

Edit: I should add that where the old post refers to "Tesla plug" it means Roadster (not Model S).

Last edited:
I made the same suggestion to Recargo long ago. They gave me some pushback that the amperage isn't in the network DBs (like Chargepoint) but then I argued that they already have the fields in the station form, so they just need to have it as a search variable and we the users will populate it.

Any more info on Chargepoint and plans to roll out more 70 amp stations?

I see you guys mention Roadster chargers. I have never used one, and understand that we need to buy the adapter to be able to use these charges. Is this correct?

Here it is on the shop.teslamotors.com site. Though I hear it's getting harder and harder to get it from Tesla.

Additionally, the Barstow location for the Roadster is gone.

LA to Vegas in a Roadster just became harder (shame too, lots of NEMA 14-50 and Roadster chargers on the Strip.)