Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Available Wheel Replacements for Yoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unleashed doesn't use a tesla core - they sent me the below diagram and said they use a magnesium alloy one piece core with no welds. Other than some of the labels being different I can't visually see really any difference (like the hole on the right side where the airbag plugs in - on the Tesla yoke it's labeled DAB, on the Unleashed it's labeled as AG1; and the hole on the right also is labeled differently you can see if you zoom in to the image in my earlier post with the two wheels next to each other). The screws from the yoke transfer over fine that hold the bracket for the airbag and the one at the bottom for the panel. The shap of what is visible looks identical to the yoke, and the panel transferred over fits very well, I wouldn't have known it was not a tesla core had they not told me.

@strider did the heating wires have a plug attached at the end? Mine are just completely loose wires, I'm not sure there is anything I can plug it in to without a wiretap of some kind, but will wait for more info from Unleashed. The stock yoke had a nice plug at the end (see second image below) which I thought the Unleashed wheel would have something similar instead of the 4 loose wire ends it came with.

View attachment 847485

Stock yoke heating wiring harness:
View attachment 847492

So an update - after reaching out to Unleashed, they realized they forgot to finish the wiring and solder on the wiring and plug so that it would be plug and play for the heating element, so they sent me a shipping label to send it back to them to install it (they offered as an option to send me the wiring to install myself but I don't have a soldering iron or the time, and would probably mess up). Since I was sending it back anyways I asked if they could wrap the sections of the wheel behind the airbag in leather as well and if so the cost. They said they would have had to wrap that when they built the wheel and couldn't do it on a completed wheel. Then a couple days later they messaged me - they accidentally damaged the steering wheel (put it on top of a hot soldering iron that burned a hole through some of the leather on the wheel - see image below) and need to build me a new steering wheel now so they would wrap that portion of the wheel in leather for free due to the inconvenience, and would send me the original damaged wheel to use until the new one is ready (the original took about 7 weeks, hopefully this is faster but having the damaged wheel in the interim isn't bad as the damage is pretty small and not even really visible since it is on the backside). Kind of a bummer but nice that they will add the additional leather wrap on the replacement wheel. As that portion not being wrapped in leather kind of bugged me, although not that noticeable unless you look for it and I probably would have forgotten about it after a few weeks. But if you want that portion wrapped in leather make sure to ask about it when ordering!

damagedwheel.jpeg

Reactions: strider
I was taking issue with the fact he said the thread is pathetic. I'm compley with you on your points you discussed. I'm one of those folks who's not happy with the yoke and looking for a replacement.
Apologies if I was not clear. It is pathetic in a sense that no one should have to create a whole tread with options how to address a serious shortcoming of a $100k+ brand new car.

Wheel ordered from this eBay supplier. Matte carbon fiber, perforated leather, red stitching and red center line. Didn't opt for the heated element which would invoke removing then soldering the connector from the yoke. Was 4-5 weeks estimated bulld and shipping for $1015 including tax and shipping. Seller was very responsive and emailed to confirm config once ordered.

Will review once I've received and installed it.
00FCB581-2FEC-4E93-B4FC-39426C70F07F.jpeg

My Secret-EV one came in today

Flawless on the leather and stitching, surprisingly, the grip feels is way better than to the one I got from China. I’ll soon do an review between the two.

View attachment 852858
Very interested to see your review! For benefit of "watchers," i tried the T-Sportline one earlier this year and returned. Not only was it more trapezoidal in shape, but even raised to highest setting, it blocked the top third of Driver's screen which was annoying. I like that this one is more rounded at top, and that I can pay them to install the core so it's easily reversible if needed (and I don't break anything!) Thread below:

T Sportline 360 Yoke Replacement: review in ~2 weeks

As others have mentioned, the rumor of a 2023 Model 3/Y rumor of a round wheel is intriguing, but if they don't move to a driver's console in those models, the new 3/Y steering wheel may still block the view on an S/X.

No. Pimpmyev.com
I love it. Changes the whole experience. It's thick and the carbon fiber matches the interior.
I didn't dislike the yoke and "got used to it" like everyone else.
For me, the yoke was a cool idea, poorly executed.
FWIW, I pulled the electronics while the yoke was still attached. Then reinstalled with the new wheel attached.
Was an easier install that way vs. some of the videos I've seen.

Reactions: Dirty Dog
Drove the yoke for a few thousand miles. I learned to live with it, but it was always a handicap. Fine for everyday driving, freeway cruising might even be an advantage over a round wheel. In EVERY other scenario this 360 wheel is superior. Will never go back.

Unleashed Custom wheel (perf leather with white stitch, matte carbon top and bottom, flat top and bottom, with heating element)

br0SwcR.jpg

Drove the yoke for a few thousand miles. I learned to live with it, but it was always a handicap. Fine for everyday driving, freeway cruising might even be an advantage over a round wheel. In EVERY other scenario this 360 wheel is superior. Will never go back.

Unleashed Custom wheel (perf leather with white stitch, matte carbon top and bottom, flat top and bottom, with heating element)

br0SwcR.jpg
That’s how it should have come from the factory. Tesla botched it.

At the very minimum, make the yoke an option and nothing more.

br0SwcR.jpg
So you have a picture of this from the front angle?

I am looking to sell my brand new wheel which I no longer need. It's never been fitted, only taken out of the box. I believe it's from the same Hong Kong manufacturer as the Exclusive Steering Wheels. It's really well made. Real matte carbon fiber, perforated leather, red stiching and red center line. No heater element. Does not come with a core, you need to use your own. Asking for offers in the region of $1400 . Buyer pays shipping from Connecticut. Can ship right away. Please send PM with questions.
1F8F2B9D-1610-4AE5-A220-E037318AAF1A.jpeg