TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

List of changes for the Model S since production began?

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Shumdit, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

#1 Shumdit, Oct 10, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    Is there a thread or post about changes since production began?
    As a couple of examples:
    Nose cone change, rear hatch scuff guards changing from chrome to black, rear facing seat changing to all cloth from to dual material, etc.

Also, in the same vein, changes to options and pricing.
    For example:
    Signature and Founders models had this pricing and options/standard equipment (including exclusive features).
    original production cars were base priced at $xxxx and available options were ....., ..... Etc. with prices at those times. Then when the first price increase and content changes occurred late last year, and so on.

Sort of a history of the car that can be updated as things evolve (I would guess the latest entry would reflect the additional options of foglights, parking sensors, and the subzero package and would also explain how the P85 model decreased, but what was lost/made optional as a result of that?

I did a lot of research on the car through both of the major forums and while there is a lot of great info, it's not put into a easily digestible format. I thought ,before the knowledge of what changes have occurre, is lost to time and failing memories, it would be nice to lay it out. I would have liked to have gotten a screen capture of the order detail pages on the Tesla Design Studio to show each change as well.

Does all of this already exist somewhere?

2. DIL

DIL Member

I haven't seen anything that compiles all this info in one place. It's a good idea.

3. Zextraterrestrial

P price never 'decreased' - no air or 21" included or spoiler or performance seats or alcantara liner or....

I think the first changes started at the first of the year but I stopped paying too much attention since I had my car.

I will be really hard to make a change list since things changed so much and without a lot of advertising the changes. Maybe someone who has/had been tracking Tesla's website for changes has been keeping a log of it?

4. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

The P price did "decrease" as I recall. They took out some standard features and made them optional to accomplish this, but it was still a base price reduction. In reality it was a net increase, which I think should be pointed out when the decrease in price is added to the changes, but it's still a fact that the price did go down for the P85 as a entry level price. I have a fair amount of knowledge about it, but I am sure not as complete as some of the old timers here. If no one knows of a source of this info then it seems like I will start it up and then let people add to it or correct it. It would make a good wiki.

5. staze

staze Junior P85 Member

Great idea Shumdit! Beside owner feedback, you can also check out archive.org. They try to cache the internet throughout history. A quick search for the options and pricing page (Model S Design Studio | Tesla Motors) shows caches in 2012 and 2013. I tried early 2012 but the page was not loading. However I did hit luck with the cache from April 10, 2012. You can skip from month to month to see the changes as they happened. Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your finished product!

6. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

I tried waybackmachine too, but none of the pages would load fully unfortunately. I will work on this, but I am a newbie, so I will certainly get some things wrong or omit some of the changes so I will hope those of you more knowledgeable than me will help with those errors.

7. bradhs

bradhs Member

I'm interested in any changes that may have occurred after July 2013. Anyone know?

8. Shumdit

Shumdit Member

Well, you are right on the bubble for a major change there. At the very beginning of August they dropped the base price on the P85, but at the same time they lowered the content and made some previously standard features optional. (such items as the carbon fiber rear spoiler, performance seats, wood or carbon fiber dash trim, extended leather, ambient lighting, etc. They also started offering an improved (they say) foglight after a period of months where no foglights we offered at all since they felt the original ones were not acceptable in terms of quality. The Subzero cold climate package and parking sensor package also became available at that time. The S85 and S60 saw the addition of the last 2 items I mentioned as options, and some of the items you could not get on those models before joined the options list.

9. Zextraterrestrial

#9 Zextraterrestrial, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    here are 2 changes I just found after having a loaner vin ~ 16K vs my 1500 vin

both P cars -

1 - the newer performance car seats sit higher when adjusted as low as they can be in the back. this changes the view out of the front window quite a bit and I think the headroom a little (love mine in comparison!) I felt it was easier to get in and out, but the car also had springs vs air

2 - door leather where armrests are and knee pad leather areas are a different texture on the extended nappa leather. newer car has rough texture similar to the upper part of the doors and the top of the dash board.