Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of confirmed Australian Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, with a December delivery for me looking extremely unlikely, I'm keen to know if anyone in Victoria has been given a delivery date, or even a clue about one. I'm starting to feel like Tesla have forgotten about us down here! As happy as I am for all the New South Welshmen (and Welshwomen? anyone know of any?) getting their vehicles delivered it is starting to make me more than a little jealous!

I heard today that the cars have still not cleared Customs. Was the MUA strike really so disruptive?

Haven't been posting up until now because I've been busy driving. Took delivery on Christmas eve, after they were able to sneak a few random extra cars through. It did its duties admirably on Christmas day, running around to all the different venues, and I've been loving it ever since. Pictures to follow.

Tim
i have aconfirmed delivery date - next Tuesday
i will be collecting at St Leonard's and then driving home - 320kms or so - range anxiety?

supercharge to 100%
Set the main screen to energy usage and average. Drive carefully!

All the best.

As suggested charge to 100%. My wife's trip Camberwell to Inverloch and return was 291 km and used 57.7 kwh at 198 wh/km - which equals some 425 km range for 85 kwh. This was at 40 degrees with aircon and 4 people in the car and moving with the traffic. You would expect the usage to Burra to be slightly higher as it is at elevation, but 320 km should be no problem.

This was almost spot on with the estimate provided by EV Trip Planner https://www.evtripplanner.com using a speed multiplier of 1.0, appropriate payload and temp set to 40 degrees. Ev Planner takes road conditions and elevation into account so should be reasonably accurate. This would be a good opportunity for you to develop some confidence in this tool. I suggest that you also factor in a speed multiplier of 1.1 or even 1.2 to see how that corresponds to your actual usage.

BTW - usage will improve as you run the car in (just kidding)...

Higgy, not sure what the speed multiplier does in that app. Can you explain?

1.0 speed is google traffic estimate speeds which seems fairly accurate for driving with the traffic. Using a higher multiplier assumes that, on average, you would be moving faster than the traffic by the same multiplier.

Although I have not been on a long enough trip to test the following assumption I would use 1.1 or even 1.2 for myself in the knowledge that I tend to drive faster than the traffic and with more aggressive acceleration. I anticipate that this would give me a margin for error or, alternatively if the margin that EV Planner calculated was low, re-enforce the need to drive conservatively.

Cheers
Higgy

- - - Updated - - -

PS - of course if travelling at a constant speed then acceleration has no impact.

- - - Updated - - -

The other concern is weather conditions - a headwind has a major impact. Click on the weather variation tab to see some calculations.

- - - Updated - - -

And if you really want to check the usage turn by turn you can download the route CSV....

supercharge to 100%
Set the main screen to energy usage and average. Drive carefully!

All the best.

Hi Jimat,

Also set "Range Mode" to on. (hit "controls" in bottom right of screen, and then select the "driving tab" on left hand side - there is a slider there for "Range Mode"). It reduces the power of the air conditioning and a few other things a bit, but should give you that bit of extra confidence.

On my first full day of ownership I took a trip from Sydney to the top end of the central coast and home, started with 460km range, travelled about 230kms and still had remaining range of 200kms when I got home. That was driving at posted speed limit using cruise control. Resist the urge to do too many flying starts until you are close to home and you should do it comfortably.

Screen Shot 2015-01-12 at 1.07.29 pm.png
Woohoo! Sooner than expected..... Way to go Tesla!!

Hi Jimat,

Also set "Range Mode" to on. (hit "controls" in bottom right of screen, and then select the "driving tab" on left hand side - there is a slider there for "Range Mode"). It reduces the power of the air conditioning and a few other things a bit, but should give you that bit of extra confidence.

On my first full day of ownership I took a trip from Sydney to the top end of the central coast and home, started with 460km range, travelled about 230kms and still had remaining range of 200kms when I got home. That was driving at posted speed limit using cruise control. Resist the urge to do too many flying starts until you are close to home and you should do it comfortably.

Nik ( as in Nikola Tesla), now home in his garage!
Trip total of 340kms as I got a bit lost in Nth Sydney trying to get onto the M1 and then missed a turn on the M5 and had a bit of suburbian driving while re connecting. Remaining range at home 57 kms and average use for the trip 190wh/km.
The various range calculations were quite different for a lot of the time and only got into sync at the end of the trip.

The sat Nav is interesting - a lot slower with directions than the other units I am used to using but details are very good when they eventually are given. And the full screen map is outstanding - much better than any other electronic map I have used.

i used cruise for most of the highway stuff but had the A/C on for much of the time but turned it off about half way home.
i suspect that the A/C is not as good as my other cars including my Prius- I guess serious A/C would draw too much current.
Cruise speed initially set for about 105km/h but I dialled it back to 90km/h about half way home - range anxiety!

LOVE the Internet radio.
LOVE the standard regen braking. Will not take much practice to be able to almost not use the foot brake. When worrying about range there is nothing like seeing 40-50kwh regen!
LOVE hard acceleration even if only for 10 seconds or so. After about 18kms of local driving I had reduced the possible range by over 40kms. Went back to the supercharger to top up the battery before heading home. This was part of the plan -a bit of local driving to see if there were questions I wanted to ask.
i decided I needed a cap as the sun was hot and I am very thin on top. Little disappointed to find that a Tesla cap was $33. Came down to $26 or so as I was an owner. For $142k I reckon one could have been thrown in.

Overall impression? Buying a model S was the right decision for me.
Now all I need is sun tomorrow so that I can recharge the battery for planned Thursday trip into town

jim