Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of confirmed Australian Orders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nik ( as in Nikola Tesla), now home in his garage!
Trip total of 340kms as I got a bit lost in Nth Sydney trying to get onto the M1 and then missed a turn on the M5 and had a bit of suburbian driving while re connecting. Remaining range at home 57 kms and average use for the trip 190wh/km.
The various range calculations were quite different for a lot of the time and only got into sync at the end of the trip.

The sat Nav is interesting - a lot slower with directions than the other units I am used to using but details are very good when they eventually are given. And the full screen map is outstanding - much better than any other electronic map I have used.

i used cruise for most of the highway stuff but had the A/C on for much of the time but turned it off about half way home.
i suspect that the A/C is not as good as my other cars including my Prius- I guess serious A/C would draw too much current.
Cruise speed initially set for about 105km/h but I dialled it back to 90km/h about half way home - range anxiety!

LOVE the Internet radio.
LOVE the standard regen braking. Will not take much practice to be able to almost not use the foot brake. When worrying about range there is nothing like seeing 40-50kwh regen!
LOVE hard acceleration even if only for 10 seconds or so. After about 18kms of local driving I had reduced the possible range by over 40kms. Went back to the supercharger to top up the battery before heading home. This was part of the plan -a bit of local driving to see if there were questions I wanted to ask.
i decided I needed a cap as the sun was hot and I am very thin on top. Little disappointed to find that a Tesla cap was $33. Came down to $26 or so as I was an owner. For $142k I reckon one could have been thrown in.

Overall impression? Buying a model S was the right decision for me.
Now all I need is sun tomorrow so that I can recharge the battery for planned Thursday trip into town

jim

Congratulations on your first trip being successful. If you had range mode on that reduces the a/c effectiveness also.

Congrats Jimat.TesAus is probably right - the air conditioning worked well for me on some hot days. I did buy the pano roof shades later though - they seem to work well.
Roof shades might be the go.Where did you get them?BTW the car reckoned it was about 32 degrees outside so with a glass roof any A/c would probably struggle.

Just noticed they are a Tesla accessory.
Oddly the delivery mob didn't make any mention of options OR service.

Last edited:
The comments re: air-conditioning are little confusing. My experience in Melbourne in 40 degree heat has been good.

The only issue I experienced was sun coming directly through the from or side windows, something that I have experienced with all cars.

It is possible that the cars further north have stronger sun, and I do know (I used to live in Canberra) that UV is higher in Canberra and the tablelands given the altitude which reduces the filtering effect of the atmosphere. This was said to be similar to sea level at the equator.

Either that or everyone's tolerances are different - or perhaps I have nether experienced good aircon!

Cheers
Higgy

I find the aircon fine with a pano roof in Sydney. My wife finds it hot behind the window glass. The pano roof works as advertised. insignificant heat coming through there. I have no intention of buying the Tesla screen for that area.
My windows are being tinted today with ceramic tint which is supposed to give the highest heat rejection - only to keep harmony in the car!!

Roof shades might be the go.Where did you get them?BTW the car reckoned it was about 32 degrees outside so with a glass roof any A/c would probably struggle.

Just noticed they are a Tesla accessory.
Oddly the delivery mob didn't make any mention of options OR service.

I followed up with the guys in the sales area and asked specifically about getting the accessories. They arranged the quote etc and I bought it from St. Leonards

- - - Updated - - -

I find the aircon fine with a pano roof in Sydney. My wife finds it hot behind the window glass. The pano roof works as advertised. insignificant heat coming through there. I have no intention of buying the Tesla screen for that area.
My windows are being tinted today with ceramic tint which is supposed to give the highest heat rejection - only to keep harmony in the car!!

The air co is no problem in Sydney heat - it was 37 today when I left Redfern Tech park. I bought the shades for helping with the car when parked in the sun, which is also why I bought the windscreen sun reflector.

The comments re: air-conditioning are little confusing. My experience in Melbourne in 40 degree heat has been good.

The only issue I experienced was sun coming directly through the from or side windows, something that I have experienced with all cars.

It is possible that the cars further north have stronger sun, and I do know (I used to live in Canberra) that UV is higher in Canberra and the tablelands given the altitude which reduces the filtering effect of the atmosphere. This was said to be similar to sea level at the equator.

Either that or everyone's tolerances are different - or perhaps I have nether experienced good aircon!

Cheers
Higgy

Do you have the entire climate control system set to Auto including fan speed?

I am OK with the climate control on automatic, AND i have range mode turned on! occasionally, i manually turn up the fan speed when it is really hot. I will see, when i collect my car later today, what the effect of window tinting has. (Not doing the pano roof - it is dark enough for me.)

Something strange is going on "My Tesla" page has updated today and my car estimated delivery is in December.... I'm not sure what year 2014 or 2015. Oh and pickup is in Sydney!
Which I would be happy to do if I can charge on the way back to Castlemaine.
I would really like to know what is going on.

Something strange is going on "My Tesla" page has updated today and my car estimated delivery is in December.... I'm not sure what year 2014 or 2015. Oh and pickup is in Sydney!
Which I would be happy to do if I can charge on the way back to Castlemaine.
I would really like to know what is going on.

Hi Davide

It's just an automated system message I think - I doubt you will need to pick your car up from Sydney :)