Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Electrical Contractors That Are Friendly to EV Owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@DJ Frustration mentioned "fiscal cliff" legislation and possibly a $1000 tax deduction related to EVSE installations. Has anyone here found the specifics? Since my condo is a corner unit on the top floor, it's going to be very expensive to run the cabling to my undercover parking space. Any help reducing my net expenses would be really nice.

On topic: Duke (Progress) Energy offers a HomeWIRE Deluxe Service for $9.99 month which has the following feature among others:

"The annual limit amount is $1000 per calendar year, which includes $100 annual limit for installation of ceiling fans, light fixtures or plug-in vehicle charging stations. The $1000 limit is reset each year beginning in January. As repairs are completed during the year, the cost of the repair is deducted from the annual limit. If you go over the $1000 limit during the year, you are required to pay the contractor directly for any overages, which is calculated at a 15% discount off the normal labor rate.

The service doesn't require a contract. Check out the FAQ's at: HomeWIRE Deluxe Service Sorry, but couldn't get this into a link. I plan to give one of the electricians a call to verify I would be eligible for the 15% discount for ESVE installation costs exceeding $100.

My guy has done quite a few jobs for us in Coral Springs, he is licensed electrician that works for a major local contractor and does work on his own time. He charges around $75 per hour and does excellent work. My job took him about 4 hours plus parts. The parts were about $120 that I purchased at HD, I think the cable was the most expensive part. So my job was about $550 including rearranging my panel to provide for a 240/50. His name is Walter Maxim and his phone is 954 804 7142, he is very easy to talk to and speaks English and Spanish. Highly Recommend

Is HPWC installation complicated? Would it be helpful to find an electrician who has done it before? Solar City does not operate in FL. They referred me to Mr Electric, who in turn farm it out to another local contractor. Am I better off just finding someone on my own? My main concern is faulty installation causing problems with the house, car, or both.

No, the installation is not complicated and any competent electrician should be able to do it. I prefer to work with people I know and trust already, or referrals from someone else I know and trust. Solar City referring me to some other company counts for little in my book. Where are you located?

Thanks for your thoughts. I totally agree with you. I would much rather get recommendations from fellow owners based on real life experiences, rather than a referral from a company based on business ties. I live in Fort Myers.

They must have dropped prices.
Mr. Electric quoted me $970 to install the HPWC AT my electrical box.

I went with another organization in Tampa for a few hundred less (and ended up mounting it 10 feet away from the box)... "Small Jobs Electric"

I used Rich Jones Electric, Inc. (239) 394-5985 they installed a 14-50 plug with a 10' run for $300 in Marco Island.
Also had Woodson Electric :(239) 591-3988 install a 14-50 outdoor plug in Naples had to be run through the roof 25' run for $400.
both did excellent work.

Roland,

Welcome to the forums.

If you would like to join our Florida Tesla Motors Club, please send me an email at [email protected] with your full name, screen name and city and I'll send you some club materials.

Thanks.

Larry

I'm looking for an EV-friendly electrician in the St Pete/Clearwater & beaches area. I live in a condo so it's going to be a challenge to say the least. Fortunately the condo BOD seems to be okay with the concept so now it's just down to permits, codes and electricians with possible out-of-the-box ideas. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

For the metropolitan area around Miami, Florida, Mike Isaacs of MI Electric (a father-son business) have done all the electrical work on my house for the last 2.5 years (since I moved here), including all the electrical work on the 1500-sqft construction we just finished adding to this same house. They are highly capable, but more importantly they are wonderful, honest, and honorable people, and I happily recommend them without reservation.

PM me for contact details if desired, or to talk Tesla. :)
Hi Rodolfo. Im in the market to install a tesla wall charger. Can you pass me his contact? Thanks