TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

List of Homelink Garage Door Openers That Work

Discussion in 'Model S' started by finallybuying, Jul 26, 2016.

1. finallybuying

finallybuying Member

Having a garage door redone. Can't seem to find a simple link or something to forward to my contractor to show which garage door openers will work well with Tesla. I understand that Homelink is supposed to work but I keep seeing posts where some work and some don't. Is there a definitive list somewhere?

Thanks.

2. superm1

superm1 Member

3. miggz410

miggz410 Member

4. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

My Liftmaster works super

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

2nd Liftmaster - mine is a side mount.

The trick for me was to hold the remote in the Frunk by the light/release lever to program.

6. OlderThanDirt

OlderThanDirt Member

Geni here. Literally only few minutes to set up. Auto open and close working perfectly.

7. finallybuying

finallybuying Member

Thanks. Ideally I'd have a list somewhere...? Is there one?

(Long story but I have a difficult garage door, so want to give full choice.)

If I tell him it must work with Homelink is that enough? (I keep reading things that imply not.)

Thanks.

8. tstafford

tstafford Member

We have a Hormann and it works fine with Homelink (both the Tesla and a Porsche) but I'm not a huge fan of it otherwise.

9. Fluke

Fluke Member

The Chamberlain mentioned above from Home Depot has worked well for me also. The Chamberlain replaced an Overhead Door opener that was installed in 2014 and did not work well at all with the Model S.

10. superm1

superm1 Member

I'd just go with the chamberlain (hd950 or hd1000) or liftmaster 8550w. they are made by the same company so I think the same product.

The good thing about the one in the link is that usually you have to buy a separate bluetooth/wifi module and this one has it built in so it ends up being cheaper.

11. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

I can verify that the Odyssey 1000 by Overhead Door works and like @JPUConn I had to hold the remote inside the frunk.

12. Kevin_Freeman

Kevin_Freeman New Member

The HomeLink technology standard was updated about 4 years ago - so you should be OK using any recent opener from major brands. For Chamberlain / LiftMaster look for Security+ 2.0. And pester Tesla to integrate with MyQ so you don't need HomeLink or a clicker.

13. finallybuying

finallybuying Member

Thanks.

14. rickrickrick

rickrickrick Member

My DirectDrive openers do NOT work out of the box with the HomeLink in my S. The frequency is off by 5 MHz but DirectDtive sells an adapter. My recommendation is to do a quick search of the boards after you have a short list of openers you are considering.