Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Homelink Garage Door Openers That Work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having a garage door redone. Can't seem to find a simple link or something to forward to my contractor to show which garage door openers will work well with Tesla. I understand that Homelink is supposed to work but I keep seeing posts where some work and some don't. Is there a definitive list somewhere?

Thanks.

I'd just go with the chamberlain (hd950 or hd1000) or liftmaster 8550w. they are made by the same company so I think the same product.

The good thing about the one in the link is that usually you have to buy a separate bluetooth/wifi module and this one has it built in so it ends up being cheaper.

The HomeLink technology standard was updated about 4 years ago - so you should be OK using any recent opener from major brands. For Chamberlain / LiftMaster look for Security+ 2.0. And pester Tesla to integrate with MyQ so you don't need HomeLink or a clicker.

Having a garage door redone. Can't seem to find a simple link or something to forward to my contractor to show which garage door openers will work well with Tesla. I understand that Homelink is supposed to work but I keep seeing posts where some work and some don't. Is there a definitive list somewhere?

Thanks.

The Homelink on my S started to have problems about two weeks ago. Started to think the S was the source of the problem, perhaps a bad transmitter. Also considered an alternate hypothesis that the garage door receiver was the problem. Did some research and what did I find?

I discovered that neither the S or the garage door receiver were the problem. LEDs! About two weeks ago I replaced the bulb inside the Liftmaster opener with an LED bulb. Apparently there is a frequency management issue--overlap between the freq' of the bulb and the garage door signal. Here are some links that may help explain:

https://www.liftmaster.com/catalogr.../tucmanuals/led bulb compatibility_011714.pdf

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
We have three Liftmaster 8500 openers and it was surprisingly easy to link them to the car. Two of them worked first try but the third one took a couple tries. We have no problems with the LED bulbs we use and have the cars set to open the garage about 80 feet from the garage (long driveway).

We have three Liftmaster 8500 openers and it was surprisingly easy to link them to the car. Two of them worked first try but the third one took a couple tries. We have no problems with the LED bulbs we use and have the cars set to open the garage about 80 feet from the garage (long driveway).

Looks like an old thread revived :)

Love the Liftmaster 8500 openers. Significantly quieter than my old openers. And allowed me to change my doors to high lift. For those that haven't seen them, they mount on the wall and twist the jackshaft to raise/lower the doors.

Looks like an old thread revived :)

Love the Liftmaster 8500 openers. Significantly quieter than my old openers. And allowed me to change my doors to high lift. For those that haven't seen them, they mount on the wall and twist the jackshaft to raise/lower the doors.

We also have the Liftmaster 8500. Programming Homelink was easy, however the ability of the Tesla to open the closed garage door has proven difficult. The vehicle needs to be parked just right, usually very close to the door or close to the right side of the driveway. It seems the signal is not strong enough to reach the receiver of the Liftmaster unit through the closed door. Closing the door is not an issue. As far as I know, there are no settings that I can adjust to improve the opening signal.

We also have the Liftmaster 8500. Programming Homelink was easy, however the ability of the Tesla to open the closed garage door has proven difficult. The vehicle needs to be parked just right, usually very close to the door or close to the right side of the driveway. It seems the signal is not strong enough to reach the receiver of the Liftmaster unit through the closed door. Closing the door is not an issue. As far as I know, there are no settings that I can adjust to improve the opening signal.
I have the same opener and found it very important to program the car's homelink while parked facing the garage and just outside of it. Not sure if that is your issue, but it made a big difference for me. I always park back-in and when I tried programming it with the car facing outwards, the signal was very poor in being able to open the door.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sawyer8888