Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Model Y configs that qualify for the 2023 Federal Tax Credit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New price drops tonight, here is my view of which Model Y qualify for the 2023 federal tax credit between now and March:

Model Y Performance 5-seater (MSRP gotta be under $55k) : None of them qualify.

Model Y Long Range 5-seater : Gotta stay under $55K before destination charge. These configs will quality for the federal tax credit [exterior/interior/wheels]:
- Red/Black/19s
- Black/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s with Tow
- White/Black/20s
- White/White/19s
- White/White/19s with Tow
- Gray/Black/19s
- Gray/Black/19s with Tow
- Gray/White/19s
- Blue/Black/19s
- Blue/Black/19s with Tow
- Blue/White/19s

Model Y Long Range 7-seater (Gotta be under $80K) : All of them qualify with any color, wheel, tow hitch, interior options. Don't add FSD or EAP to keep it under $80K.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 3.26.31 PM.png

Admin note: Image added for Blog feed.

Reactions: PCTAZRichard
I was told by the Tesla shop near me that "sw updates" (like enhanced autopilot) do not compute towards the price of the car when it comes to the federal tax credit $55K cap.

Anyone else confirm this. about to schedule delivery of the car and don't want to get screwed by a slight increase over $55K!

Reactions: Sunshine Speed
New price drops tonight, here is my view of which Model Y qualify for the 2023 federal tax credit between now and March:

Model Y Performance 5-seater (MSRP gotta be under $55k) : None of them qualify.

Model Y Long Range 5-seater : Gotta stay under $55K before destination charge. These configs will quality for the federal tax credit [exterior/interior/wheels]:
- Red/Black/19s
- Black/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s
- White/Black/19s with Tow
- White/Black/20s
- White/White/19s
- White/White/19s with Tow
- Gray/Black/19s
- Gray/Black/19s with Tow
- Gray/White/19s
- Blue/Black/19s
- Blue/Black/19s with Tow
- Blue/White/19s

Model Y Long Range 7-seater (Gotta be under $80K) : All of them qualify with any color, wheel, tow hitch, interior options. Don't add FSD or EAP to keep it under $80K.

View attachment 895389
Admin note: Image added for Blog feed.
Thought the SUV and Truck max MSRP was $80k?

Per the IRS:
Vehicle make/models that appear in the list below do not automatically qualify. They must also
  • Have undergone final assembly in North America
  • Not exceed a manufacturer suggested retail price (MSRP) of
    • $80,000 for vans, sport utility vehicles and pickup trucks
    • $55,000 for other vehicles
Odd that an VW ID4 Pro S AWD has a cap at $80k, but the Tesla Y (and Ford MachE) only is $55k? Both have 5 seats. why not the Model Y performance? It’s a SUV and built in the USA. What am I missing?

Last edited:
Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Thought the SUV and Truck max MSRP was $80k?

Odd that an VW ID4 Pro S AWD has a cap at $80k, but the Tesla Performance Y only is $55k? Both have 5 seats. What am I missing?
VW ID4 AWD is heavy and has much higher ground clearance than Tesla Y, so it's classified as SUV. Ford MachE and Tesla Model Y are lighter and have lower ground clearance, so not classified an SUV, hence $55K limit. If you add a 3rd row to the Y then it becomes heavier and qualifies for the SUV classification at $80K limit.

Reactions: 2022S-LR
VW ID4 AWD is heavy and has much higher ground clearance than Tesla Y, so it's classified as SUV. Ford MachE and Tesla Model Y are lighter and have lower ground clearance, so not classified an SUV, hence $55K limit. If you add a 3rd row to the Y then it becomes heavier and qualifies for the SUV classification at $80K limit.
Thanks for the clarity. Weight classifies as a SUV? Model Y is 4,555 and ID4 is 4,665 - so similar. Both the Model Y and ID4 have a 6.8” ground clearance. IRS EV rebate rules are Just not accurate or fair.

Thanks for the clarity. Weight classifies as a SUV? Model Y is 4,555 and ID4 is 4,665 - so similar. Both the Model Y and ID4 have a 6.8” ground clearance. IRS EV rebate rules are Just not accurate or fair.
ID4 RWD version has ground clearance at 6.8 inches, same as Model Y. The ID4 AWD version has an extra motor and is heavier, and has 8 full inches of ground clearance. Google it and check it out.

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
2022 Volkswagen ID. 4 AWD Pro S (Statement) Specs & Features
Dimensions
Ground clearance6.8 in.

ID4 RWD version has ground clearance at 6.8 inches, same as Model Y. The ID4 AWD version has an extra motor and is heavier, and has 8 full inches of ground clearance. Google it and check it out.

2022 Volkswagen ID. 4 AWD Pro S (Statement) Specs & Features
Dimensions
Ground clearance6.8 in.

There are several giant threads on here that explain which qualify and which don’t and why. I would go read those, you are rehashing solved things.

Will Tesla make the delivery happen before March 2023?'

The website delivery for model Y is from Jan 2023 - March 2023. What happens if the vehicle comes during Mid March 2023 does it still qualify for the EV tax credit?
People that ordered on Thursday already have VINs and delivery dates set. I wouldn't worry about not getting it before the tax credit drops to $3750 in March (not sure if this is confirmed but speculated that no manufacturer will meet the requirements for the full credit unless further changes to the act are made). Unless you are custom ordering a low volume config like say Red paint and white seats then you many not get the car in time but no one really knows what the supply v demand is like right now with all the price drops.

If you pick a more common config like blue paint and black seats I'm sure you will get the car before March. To be really safe you can just pick one from existing inventory and guarantee delivery in time. Inventory changes by the hour so just keep an eye out in your area.

I’ve seen several MYPs that are only ~$1k over $55k - think we will see them drop to gain tax credit?

I think as long as inventory sits (I didn't look into MYPs), Tesla might be forced to cut prices to move inventory. You can monitor the supply numbers and looking at the chart today and it's down to like half (1900 -> 800 for Model 3/Y).

Elon has already stated he has more interest in keeping production #s up vs. protecting profits/margins so since someone is only going to buy a new car maybe once every few years, timing would be important if one cares about $$ (assuming one qualifies for the tax credit).

I see 0 MYs < $55k in So Cal right now, but 50+ MYs overall. If everything over $55k sits, that's going to be bad.

There are some < $55k in the bay area and like 100+ over $55k. If one watched it, supply may replenish as the people on the fence are taken off the market (purchased already) so there are less and less people who are looking to get in.

Like others have mentioned, other non-Tesla buyers have placed orders too.

Reactions: durniljr