Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
I have searched for a thread on this topic but have not found anything. Only links to Parking Sensor problems! Admin please move thread if you feel it should be in a different area.

Has anyone seen a list of Sensors that must be built into the Model S? There must be some simple sensors such as door open/close for each door, weight sensor to detect presence of passengers or driver.
But there would also be some more obscure sensors that would be used to trigger various functions of the vehicle. Such as the limitation on Air Suspension changes unless the speed is below a certain amount.

Would be very interested to see some kind of list of the sensors, from a programming point of view what could be achieved.

Many thanks

how about "lots"
off the top of my head:
- GPS
- ambient light sensor
- rain sensor (I believe it has rain sensing wipers?)
- door sensor on each door, the frunk, and the trunk
- height sensor on each wheel if air-ride equipped
- tire pressure sensors in each wheel
- speed sensor
- temperature sensors (ambient outdoor, indoor, battery pack, tires (not certain on this, but someone reported it, integrated with TPMS?) possibly motor, but unconfirmed)
- pressure sensors for safety auto-reverse on all windows, panoramic roof, and trunk
- touch sensor on all 4 door handles
- speed sensor on the wheels
- air bag impact sensors (multi-direction)
- weight sensors in driver's seat (likely passenger seat as well, but unconfirmed)
- brightness sensor in the rearview mirror for auto-dimming
- a multitude of voltage and current sensors on both the high voltage and 12v systems
- brake and accelerator pedal pressure
- seat belt use
- parking sensors
- differential wheel spin/lockup (for ABS and traction control)
- vehicle level/tilt (for air suspension and stability control)
- window, pano-roof, and trunk position

Now for some pure speculation of things I would have put in, but that I've seen no confirmation of:
- motor rpm
- brake pad wear
- bulb burnt-out confirmation (especially for any non-LEDs)
- steering wheel position
- fluid levels for coolant, brake fluid, power steering fluid (if it has steering fluid?)
- air conditioning refrigerant pressure
- cornering g-forces
- altitude

also announced as coming soon:
- radar/lidar/sonar for automatic cruise control
- cameras/radar/lidar/sonar for blind spot and lane assist monitoring

Probably many more I haven't thought of.

Last edited:
Now for some pure speculation of things I would have put in, but that I've seen no confirmation of:
- motor rpm

Surely the way they measure speed is via either motor rpm or wheel* rpm. Since the gear ratio is fixed, one can be calculated from the other, so no need for both type of sensors.

*Ok, well technically not wheel RPM, since that can vary due to the differential, but they could measure the output of the gear box, which would give average wheel RPM.

Last edited:
Surely the way they measure speed is via either motor rpm or wheel* rpm. Since the gear ratio is fixed, one can be calculated from the other, so no need for both type of sensors.

*Ok, well technically not wheel RPM, since that can vary due to the differential, but they could measure the output of the gear box, which would give average wheel RPM.
While they could, I suspect they have more than one sensor there, it's just a hunch, but it would allow for more flexibility if they ever wanted to offer a different gear ratio or some such. it's a pretty cheap sensor, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if both exist.

- - - Updated - - -

Sensor for hill hold assist.
Rain sensor for wipers.
I had the rain sensor in my list already. I'm not sure what the hill hold "sensor" would be, possibly measuring the force that's trying to spin the motor backwards? if it's just a simple tilt sensor then... well I was sure I had put that in there somewhere, but re-reading my list I don't see it...

More pure speculation:
- position sensors for louvres on cooling grills (to know if they are working right or have failed)
There's actually a good likelihood that almost every mechanical system has some form of a sensor on it to check if it's actually operating.