Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List of Unique Supercharging Stations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are moving from NJ to CA next month and driving our Model 3 out there.... with 3 kids (i know- crazy!).

In addition to mapping out our route on ABetterRoutePlanner - I was trying to find a list of unique Superchargers, or ones with amazing views/nature trails/etc nearby. Anyone know if such a list exists?

All I can find is info on Kettleman, CA & this one in PA: This Retro-Styled Tesla Charger Is Amazing And Unique

Yep--there's a thread for that with pictures.
Most scenic/beautiful/unique Superchargers
Some of the ones mentioned there are San Clemente, CA, Strasburg, VA, and Twin Falls, ID. That Twin Falls one is especially interesting. It is right next to the Snake River Canyon, where Evel Knievel tried to do his motorcycle jump across it. And it is one of the few places in the country where BASE jumping is legal, so almost every day of the year that it's not too windy, you will find people jumping off the bridge to parachute down into the canyon, which is really fun to watch.

Oh, and in Santa Rosa, NM, just a few blocks down from the Supercharger is a Route 66 auto museum that is really good. I think Tucumcari, NM has a few cool old Route 66 nostalgic buildings around it too.

Here's another long thread about favorite Supercharger locations.
Favorite and least favorite supercharger locations ?

Last edited:
Sometimes it isn’t the Supercharging locations themselves that are unique, but the route between them that is.

Great example: Weston, WV to Strasburg, VA. If you want to see some amazing parts of the country, avoid the interstate in some key areas.

Join us in the Superchargers Visited thread and chronicle your charging adventures. It’s basically a Supercharger scavenger hunt. I’ve visited 124 unique Supercharger locations so far and I’m only #49 on the list of people playing.

I'm still a newbie on interesting superchargers, but I can second Twin Falls, ID, for the reasons stated above. Also, the scenery either side of the Mt. Shasta supercharger (northbound or southbound I5) is spectacular. Either of those may be too far out of your way if you're going to SoCal and not NorCal. Enjoy the trip!

Also the scenery anywhere around the Page, AZ supercharger. Lake Powell & the Glen Canyon Dam, the surrounding Navajo reservation, Zion National Park.

The Albuquerque supercharger is dull as a post, but if time allows, there is free L2 charging at Petroglyph National Monument, not far from I40 on the west side of Albuquerque. Meteor Crater is not too far away from I40 / historic Route 66. Nearby superchargers are Gallup NM, Holbrook, AZ and Flagstaff AZ.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Earl
Amarillo, TX - Nothing exciting about SC itself, but just few miles away is the Cadillac Ranch, another Route 66 attraction. One can be tempted to try and conquer 72 oz steak at Big Texan.
Shamrock, TX - you will recognize the structure if you are a fan of Cars movie.
Sulphur Springs, TX - check out the town square and it's unique mirror glass covered structure on it ;) This is closer to I-30 (rather than I-40) corridor, so might not fit into your trip right away.
Sedona, AZ - Urban type SC, but right next to adobe-style shopping. Just mentioning Sedona should be enough :)
Twentynine Palms, CA - a gateway to Joshua Tree NP
Lone Pine, CA - Manzanar is a must-see if you venture this way. Again, might be off your route a bit.

We have covered almost 5000 miles last year on a trip from TX to CA and back. Feel free to check it out: California, here we come! (Road trip 2018 – epilogue)

I second the Lone Pine, CA charger. Surrounded by incredibly beautiful mountains (including Mt. Whitney... the tallest in the lower 48 states). Also an interesting film museum about all of the movies which were filmed in the area. (The Alabama Hills has been a popular Hollywood film location for years.) You can also drive up to Whitney Portal which is a beautiful mountain route.
You don't say where is CA you're heading (it's a big state) but if you're going to Southern CA, you can take I-80 across the West (lots of beautiful scenery on that route) then head south at Reno on US 395 which in my opinion is one of the most scenic drives in the country. It goes past Lake Tahoe (worthwhile detour with a SC at the south shore), Mono Lake, Bridgeport valley, etc. The entire route is along the steep eastern slope of the Sierras with incredible scenery.

Reactions: arcus
I second the Lone Pine, CA charger. Surrounded by incredibly beautiful mountains (including Mt. Whitney... the tallest in the lower 48 states). Also an interesting film museum about all of the movies which were filmed in the area. (The Alabama Hills has been a popular Hollywood film location for years.) You can also drive up to Whitney Portal which is a beautiful mountain route.
You don't say where is CA you're heading (it's a big state) but if you're going to Southern CA, you can take I-80 across the West (lots of beautiful scenery on that route) then head south at Reno on US 395 which in my opinion is one of the most scenic drives in the country. It goes past Lake Tahoe (worthwhile detour with a SC at the south shore), Mono Lake, Bridgeport valley, etc. The entire route is along the steep eastern slope of the Sierras with incredible scenery.

We don’t own a Tesla ourselves (my dad has a model S). We own/operate the Virginia Creek Settlement, 5 miles south of Bridgeport, Ca and we have a Tesla destination charger on our property. It’s free to use, first come, first served. We had a Tesla family stop by for lunch and their kids discovered we were a “ Poké-stop”. They said it was a win-win

Reactions: GWord
We don’t own a Tesla ourselves (my dad has a model S). We own/operate the Virginia Creek Settlement, 5 miles south of Bridgeport, Ca and we have a Tesla destination charger on our property. It’s free to use, first come, first served. We had a Tesla family stop by for lunch and their kids discovered we were a “ Poké-stop”. They said it was a win-win

Thanks for providing a charging station for the community! If you’re interested in expanding, Tesla’s destination chargers can be configured to share power between a maximum of four units. You can add a second charging station using the existing circuit for minimal expense.