Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

List what you LIKE/DISLIKE about Model 3 Prototype - Please share your opinions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure many here will agree that the best way for us to speak up about what we found desirable vs. what we wish gets changed before production is to voice our opinions here. Maybe there is an easier way, but I'd like to see who liked/disliked what about the prototypes. While keeping it limited to what stood out the most, state what you LIKE or DISLIKE, followed by the feature and a brief reason why. Let me start.

LIKE - Front End - Given Tesla's history, production bumper will be a bit less plain, but I love the headlights.
LIKE - Center Console & Arm Rest - smooth, high, and long!
LIKE - Doors - pockets!
DISLIKE - Dash - Screen should be integrated into dash. I need real heat vents that can concentrate heat onto my hands on cold mornings instead of heating the entire dash with a single slot. With no dash cluster, a HUD should be made available.
DISLIKE - Rear Glass - Short of having a bit of extra headroom for rear passengers, I don't see a benefit to having so much glass to keep clean. Based on MS glass roof vs. cold winters, the glass radiates cold into the passenger compartment.

Everything else is just right, in my opinion! These are the main things I wish were made more functional on production cars.

What's your take?

I'll pretty much put in the dislike as things I would like to see changed because I liked pretty much almost everything that I saw.

Driver's side console or at least that is replaced by a HUD, Center dash screen should be integrated into the console like the S and X (Didn't like how it was protruding out).

Trunk opening is a bit iffy. I love the giant glass and open air view (even from the back seats). Gladly accept the small trunk opening to get the panoramic roof, but still wondering if they couldn't have done something more S like with a hatchback instead. I am happy the way it is, but will probably have a large object someday I wish I could put in the trunk. (I moved a whole hotwater heater with my LEAF once.)

Looking off to the right to see speedometer is annoying. I hope they do have a HUD or at least some minimal into above the streering wheel. LEAF has a speedometer straight in front up high. Guessing that Tesla plans to offer something like that, but it just wasn't ready in time for these prototypes.

The lip on the front bumper takes some getting used to. Some of the photoshop jobs people did here to make the nose a tad more pointy seemed like they might make the car look a bit better. But, as someone mentioned, having it flat/stubby makes it easier to stand over the frunk to put objects in and out. I am guessing that Tesla may make some adjustments to the front bumper before production. The front bumper tends to be so polarizing on most cars...

I really like the "cab forward" and the way they said they shrunk the dash to let the driver move the seat more forward. Back seat room looks really good for a car in this segment. I get to be backseat passenger in some workmate's BMWs at lunch and find many of them overly cramped in back. Overall I like the profile, size and shape of the Model 3. There were rumors that it would be more radically styled, but I am happy to see something a little more conservative, yet sleek and somewhat timeless looking.

Love the way the front hood is lower for better forward visibility.
Appreciate that they are striving for best safety ratings in all categories.

Seats look comfortable, with good armrest and cupholder positioning. Those little thoughtful details will make all the difference in the long run.

Happy to hear that it will be RWD or AWD. Seemed like the logical thing to do. Happy to hear that decent performance is still a priority.

Last edited:
LIKE Body styling. It's stunning. Better than I expected, and my expectations were high.
LIKE Tesla powertrain. Looks to be following the same proven principles as Model S. Performance reported more than adequate.
LIKE Supercharger compatibility. Expected from Tesla, but a big deal.
LIKE Autopilot hardware and associated safety routines standard. Ditto.
LIKE Tesla-grade crash safety. Ditto.
INDIFFERENT Extended glass roof. Addresses minor problem, and I seldolm carry adults in second row.
DISLIKE Rear door. Limited access to storage space. Car will not be versatile as it might have been.
STRONGLY DISLIKE Dashboard. Too bold, too soon IMO. I doubt instruments' fitness for purpose in a car still predominantly driven by a human being.

I am somewhat astonished to find myself writing this, but - despite a desperate yearning for the mass-market Tesla since the "Secret master plan" blog post nearly a decade ago - those last two (and especially the dashboard) have left me not wanting this car.

Maybe the Model Y will be my car. Please, folding second row seats this time, and decent instruments for the driver.

Some of these things might change as we get closer to production, but just going by what is there now with what I saw...

DISLIKE -- No separate speedo behind the steering wheel. I wouldn't mind if it was simpler than what the S or X has, but I'd like to see it there. I might could let this pass if they implement some kind of HUD.
DISLIKE -- I didn't see any controls on the steering wheel. This is something I hope to see changed come closer to production. With no physical buttons on the center console, it makes having helpful buttons on the steering wheel even more important.
DISLIKE -- I'd like to see the touchscreen integrated more into the dash in some way, rather than sticking out on a mount.
IMPROVEMENT OPPORTUNITY -- Not really a dislike, but something I think could be improved. The trunk opening could be reworked a bit.
IMPROVEMENT OPPORTUNITY -- I'm fine with the nose, but I've seen a few drawings that, if implemented, could make it look better.
LIKE -- Everything else.

Overall, I give it an A grade.

This is great! I'm seeing a pattern that confirms I'm not the only one with a negative opinion of the floating screen and lack of instrument cluster. Keep it going! We all hope Santa is watching. The more feedback, the better. And it matters now while we are still in prototype stage, since Elon said features will be added and some things will evolve.

General specs, appearance, utility, design seemed pretty good and close to what I was expecting, with these exceptions:

1. No hatchback! I hadn't even considered that as a possibility. As a replacement for my Roadster, I guess it's not a big deal. It's not going to work to replace my wife's S though, and she would really like a smaller car. Will they change it due to feedback? Are they planning on releasing a hatchback, but only did this to keep people buying the S for now since it seems to have far more utility? Or are there reasons they have to do it this way to meet structural and NVH goals while keeping costs down?

2. Dash design, uh. Yeah. I'm sure it will be very different.

Note, though, that I *do* like the floating screen. Some will, some won't. Just like the nose.

I also really like the idea of a fixed glass option - looking forward to it.

Reactions: igotzzoom
My likes/dislikes are like others:

• Adult headroom for rear seats
  • LED headlights
  • Front end (EXCEPT Blunt nose)
  • Like the Landscape 15" Touchscreen
  • Autopilot sensors & safety functions standard
  • SC standard
  • Glass roof (except is it excludes hatch)
  • Acceleration & AWD
DISLIKES:
  • Blunt nose, needs some styling
  • small trunk access (yes hatch would have been better) (no mail carrier is going to load up an M3 like Tesla shows in the MS video)
  • Needs speedo, and AP displayed in the "line of site" dash or HUD.
  • <240 mile range on base model
  • No steering wheel controls
  • Glass roof may be too hot in summer
Overall I give it a B+, but could still be an A before it goes into production.

Reactions: eisbock