Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Listed range of P90D vs. P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't see the P85D as being available anymore but Tesla updates the ranges sometimes so they may have changed the range listed online when they removed the P85D, since they no longer needed the P90D to "compete" agianst the 85, since they don't make the 85 anymore...

I'm looking at several inventory cars, and was wondering why the listed range for the P85D is greater than that for a P90D?
No problem, it is all about the specific metric.

The P85D shown 285 miles range is at a constant 65 MPH
The P90D shown 270 miles range in based on the EPA 5-cycle test.
When the 90's were introduced the same EPA ratings as did 85's because the 90's had not been subjected to the full EPA test cycles. Had they done that the range of the 90 would have been 7-8% better than was the 85.

As for why Tesla chose to show the constant 65 MPH range for the CPO site, I have no idea.

As for why Tesla chose to show the constant 65 MPH range for the CPO site, I have no idea.
I believe the policy for CPO (and Inventory) cars is to show the original specs as listed on the website at the time the car was configured or built (not sure which). In other words "no revisionist history". Part of the reason (IMO) is that the pricing is similarly done, such that options that are now standard (no cost, not an option) still count as a cost option on the CPO(/Inventory) pricing model. Similarly the original base list price is used rather than current pricing for the same model (if it's still "active").

In theory, clever screen scraping + data analysis could track the configuration / design page changes (options and pricing) by analyzing all the CPO and Inventory listings over time. Of course, in theory you might be able to do that with the Wayback Machine* as well. Not sure which approach is easier.

* Internet Archive: Wayback Machine