Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Listen to music while not in the car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is the use case...My wife and I are gardening in the front of my house, and wanted to listen to music from my Model 3 that is parked in the driveway. I enter the car, put the windows down, put music on, leave my phone in the car and exit the car. Music stops playing. Help! Outside of putting weights on the driver seat, is there anything I can do? Thanks.

Here is the use case...My wife and I are gardening in the front of my house, and wanted to listen to music from my Model 3 that is parked in the driveway. I enter the car, put the windows down, put music on, leave my phone in the car and exit the car. Music stops playing. Help! Outside of putting weights on the driver seat, is there anything I can do? Thanks.
Don't close the door all the way? I can't remember. I know we've done that in the past but not sure if it still works.

Reactions: sakimano
This is what Elon calls "Party Mode" and it's on his radar, but apparently Sentry Mode and Dog Mode took priority. My use case is to use this during tailgates. I have found that if you reach in and tap the screen, the music will come back on, although it times out after about 20 minutes, so keeping the door propped open might be a better solution. But if you ever see "Party Mode" in any release notes for an update, you know you will not have to resort to that trick.

...put music on...

Conventional method since I bought a Tesla in 2012 till now (7 years of success and I'm still waiting for camper mode):

Shift your car to Neutral Gear
Go to your screen display and click on the electronic brake (Don't use physical brake button at the gear stalk as it would shift the gear back to Park--You need Neutral Gear without your car rolling around).

I do this once a month to listen to music while washing my cars and without getting their interior wet!

Good luck!

Don't close the door all the way? I can't remember. I know we've done that in the past but not sure if it still works.
that's what I do. Did that last night when I was changing the wheels over to summer mode in the garage.

20190328_172636-jpg.391586

Attachments

• 20190328_172636.jpg
    20190328_172636.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 3,173
Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Conventional method since I bought a Tesla in 2012 till now (7 years of success and I'm still waiting for camper mode):

Shift your car to Neutral Gear
Go to your screen display and click on the electronic brake (Don't use physical brake button at the gear stalk as it would shift the gear back to Park--You need Neutral Gear without your car rolling around).

I do this once a month to listen to music while washing my cars and without getting their interior wet!

Good luck!

If anybody can tell the procedure for doing this in a Model 3, I'd be most appreciative. Unless I'm just an idiot (always possible), the car insists on shifting into park when you get out of the seat, so it doesn't appear to be possible to keep the car in neutral and get out of the car.

If anybody can tell the procedure for doing this in a Model 3, I'd be most appreciative. Unless I'm just an idiot (always possible), the car insists on shifting into park when you get out of the seat, so it doesn't appear to be possible to keep the car in neutral and get out of the car.

Sorry. I just checked and it looks like somebody has reported the procedure so Tesla has disabled it.

For a consolation prize, and please do not leak this procedure to Tesla:

1) Push the physical Park button as usual.

2) Leave your foot on your physical brake pedal.

3) Do not take that foot off

4) Exit your car with that foot continuously on that brake pedal. That means you have to exit with one foot on the ground and one on the brake pedal.

5) Now go ahead and take the foot on the pedal back so you can now have 2 feet to do freely as before.

6) Close your door and enjoy all the 12V accessories on including music for some duration that I haven't checked--maybe 15 minutes or so.

Good luck!

Do you need to keep your phone in the car? I.e. are streaming Bluetooth music from phone to car? Reason I ask is I wanted to test how loud the music was at full blast from the outside when doors and windows are closed and here is how I managed prior to version 5.15. Phone has to be with you:
  1. Sit in car
  2. Start music
  3. Roll driver window down
  4. Get out and close door - music stops/screen turns off
  5. Reach in and tap screen - it should activate
  6. (optional) reach the driver window button to close window
  7. Use the Tesla app to resume/control media
So a variation on the above is to keep the windows down and make sure you tap the screen after you close the door to keep it awake. You should then be able to control music from your Tesla app.

Let us know if this works.

It worked for me back then and was very proud when I heard the raging sounds with all windows closed :D

Sorry. I just checked and it looks like somebody has reported the procedure so Tesla has disabled it.

For a consolation prize, and please do not leak this procedure to Tesla:

1) Push the physical Park button as usual.

2) Leave your foot on your physical brake pedal.

3) Do not take that foot off

4) Exit your car with that foot continuously on that brake pedal. That means you have to exit with one foot on the ground and one on the brake pedal.

5) Now go ahead and take the foot on the pedal back so you can now have 2 feet to do freely as before.

6) Close your door and enjoy all the 12V accessories on including music for some duration that I haven't checked--maybe 15 minutes or so.

Good luck!

I had seen this procedure and did use it, and every 20 minutes or so I would have to reach in with my foot and press the brake pedal. Kind of ridiculous. Then I figured that all that is unnecessary. You just have to hit the screen within a few seconds of getting out of the car.

Doesn't work if the windows are up of course, but if the windows were up (if I was washing my car for example) I probably would just use an external Bluetooth speaker anyway.

• Informative
Reactions: Tam