Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Listing your car for sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I listed my 2013 on Craigslist. Also sold my daughter's I3 on Craigslist.

If you do sell this way make sure you accept only cash and do the money transfer and paperwork in a bank lobby as they can run the money through a machine to count it and check for counterfeits.

Reactions: AMPd
Guys,

I am trying to sell my 2015 Model S 85D, where should I list it to get the best result?

My last three cars sold via Craigslist. I posted ads in my city and for the 4-5 largest cities within about a 300 mile radius. Keys are to take LOTS of good quality pics. Interior, exterior. Make sure its cleaned and vaccuumed and the pics really depict the entire car. Put some effort into the ad/sale.

Im able to easily weed out the scam emails and people offering to "help sell" these days.

My last sale was Dec 2019. Got full asking price for my AMG Benz (Asking price was above KBB, Edmunds, etc, because E55's are coveted in the car community). Was a young buyer who flew into town from Ohio and drove it home. Cashiers check. Photo ID photocopy, and I researched him a bit on social media/linkedin ahead of time.

Prior to that, Sold a Range Rover sport via CL. Preacher of a church 150 miles away bought it. Certified funds drawn on the church's account. I had a photo album with tons of photos and tons of service records. Got about 98% of asking price.

Both vehicles sold within less than two weeks of posting the ads. E55 sold to second person to see it. Range Rover sold to first person and that sold in 2 days flat.

I've had good luck selling through a consignment dealer, they took a $1,200 fee per car to sell my Lexus and one of my Tesla's. For that fee they took all the pictures, submitted listings to all major sites, handled all the test drives (I had to make the car available as I chose to keep driving the car) and most importantly handles the sale and provided financing options to buyers, all I saw was a check for the difference between what I owed and they price I got (sans $1,200).. They also advised me on what is a best price to list it at to move the car, both cars moved withing 2 weeks and on the Lexus I got full asking price and on the Tesla I accepted $1,000 less (they told me if I wait I could get full price but my new Tesla was coming soon so I was motivated - still got close to $10K more than Tesla offered). They were even nice enough to give me another car to drive for a about a week each time after selling my car, until my Tesla was delivered - one time it was a Prius, next time it was a Lexus GS430h and a Camry (the Lexus sold so I has to swap mid week). All that said, I haven't done that since 2015, so this is a bit dated.