Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lit Motors C-1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really admire the out-of-the-box thinking that went into this vehicle. I'm sure motorcyclists will scoff at it, but it is far more practical and safer. Compared to a car, you're not lugging around ~3,000 lbs of extra weight that rarely gets used. This would be a great "car" for a teenager who needs to get too and from school, work, etc. I'm assuming you'd need a motorcycle operators license?

@Robert.Boston - yes it requires a motorcycle operators license but my understanding is that you can take the test with the C-1.

I agree with you that for a single apartment dweller (with access to charging) this is a great vehicle. You can go on a date, you can commute, you can get groceries, you can pick up a TV set (flatscreen). Furniture, and other large items can be delivered or dealt with by friends or u-hauls. For a couple or family this is a second car used for commuting and errands. Efficiency wise this is a big win verses the larger vehicles that everyone drives nowadays. I am pretty excited myself and reserved one yesterday.

...yes it requires a motorcycle operators license but my understanding is that you can take the test with the C-1.

That's going to be interesting. In FL the motorcycle test requires helmet, gloves and protective eye-wear to be worn at all times, the test also requires that you demonstrate effective clutch control and can maneuver through a figure 8 in a tight box (I'm a fan but it's hard to see the C-1 achieving this last one). What about States that require a helmet to be worn at all times? Will you have to wear a helmet inside your C-1? Isn't that going to impede your ability to hear other traffic and warnings?

Anyone taking a motorcycle test in a C-1 may be a good driver/rider but would NOT have proved themselves capable of handling a standard motorcycle, so how could they be granted a motorcycle operators license?

I really like this vehicle but I think it's more a two-wheeled car than a motorcycle.

What is the target price?
The first run will be $24k but they are targeting $16k for a larger run later. From my point of view I was considering a second car and it would have been a leaf or ford focus EV, both are in the high 30s or more without federal incentive. This would do more for my needs (longer range, less space, more agile, hov access everywhere).

@NigelM, I agree it is a 2 wheel (AWD) car. I suspect that states will end up handling it like they did the Corbin Sparrow and I suspect it will vary between states. Since I live in WA I am not worried.

... can maneuver through a figure 8 in a tight box (I'm a fan but it's hard to see the C-1 achieving this last one).

You have to in Georgia also. But the way the test works you have to earn enough points (and not crash) during the test. You can completely fail the figure eight and still get a license here. Heck you can even miss other points and not even attempt the figure 8 and get a license here.

I got a perfect score on my motorcycle test. I still don't have one. :frown:

I was a very competitive bicycle racer (mountain, cross, road). I have always driven manual transmissions. Learning to ride a motorcycle was cake.

I took my motorcycle test in my Sparrow in Georgia and got a perfect score too of course that was over 10 years ago so rules may have changed. It doesn't feel right that I am licensed for any motorcycle now, but that is the way it is. Further back in time, I was told that Georgia use to have a seperate license for three wheeled motorcycles of course the C-1 is 2 wheeled.

I actually wear a bicycle helmet when I drive my Sparrow, but not due to any laws. The Sparrow is small enough inside and has fiberglass at just the right level that I would someitmes hit my head on the fiberglass while making sharp turns. The helmet allows my head to be bump free after driving the Sparrow.

Hello everyone!

Duncan's done a great job of answering nearly all your questions (thanks Duncan!), but let us answer the remaining one. No, you will not need to wear protective gear in the C-1. That precedent has already been set by the Pereaves Monotracer, among other vehicles. Fully-enclosed two-wheelers are considered "cabin cycles", and do not require protective gear. While we haven't confirmed this in all 50 states – hey, we've got a vehicle to build! – our first production run is in early 2014, so we've got time. One member of our team is from Georgia, and he never saw the Monotracer owner in Decatur wearing a helmet while driving his vehicle. We will of course look into this much more in depth as we near production, and do everything we can to ensure driving a C-1 is as easy as driving a car.

Let us know if you have any other questions! And if you ever ask a question on a forum/blog that we don't respond to, please give us a heads-up at info (at) litmotors (dot) com. We're not ignoring you, we're just busy building the C-1!

- Lit Team

There is a new set of videos and an interview/test drive of a rolling chasis by Wired.
Exclusive: This Is the Gyro-Stabilized, Two-Wheeled Future of Transportation | Autopia | Wired.com - wired article

Here is the demo drive of the chasis by Daniel Kim - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXjEt-P9b_0

I am very happy to see the rolling chasis. The wired video is cool since you get a nice view of the flywheels. It is cool to see it back up too. Obviously this work in progress has a long way to go. But it is very cool.

Just trying to see if it's even physically possible to carry enough battery in that vehicle to come close to their claimed range. Taking a pretty low 80wh/mile power draw that's 16kwh's for 200 miles of range, and you should have 18kwh's of pack for buffer, so I don't see it happening, unless per mile power use is much lower.

Power use per mile will be much lower than an automobile. The weight is much lower and therefor rolling resistance is down. The area is less and the aerodynamics are simpler for a 1 person width vehicle. Human Powered Vehicles are what I do for fun, it is amazing how fast home-built designs can go on 200W -> 400W power.