Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

lithium battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a 2013 S and my question is whether any older models have used a lithium 12v battery to replace the lead acid one. My SC said they offer only the lead acid type for my year. Yet Tesla does now offer the lithium for newer? models. If some of you have gone to lithium which battery manufacturer did you use? My S is on its 4th battery and I've read where the lithium can last 4 times longer. My other question is if a DIYer replaced there own battery (lead or lithium) and whether they had any issues with the car recognizing it and linking up. I know the older ones (2012-14) are a bit of a pain to change.

Have a 2013 S and my question is whether any older models have used a lithium 12v battery to replace the lead acid one. My SC said they offer only the lead acid type for my year. Yet Tesla does now offer the lithium for newer? models. If some of you have gone to lithium which battery manufacturer did you use? My S is on its 4th battery and I've read where the lithium can last 4 times longer. My other question is if a DIYer replaced there own battery (lead or lithium) and whether they had any issues with the car recognizing it and linking up. I know the older ones (2012-14) are a bit of a pain to change.
Tesla does not offer a lithium replacement for any pre-2021 Model S

Some places sell retrofit kits, but the cost and potential issues with the electrical system are not worth it to me.

Has anyone had issues with the Ohmmu 12v battery in their S? Or heard of someone who did?
As I mentioned above, there is significant content and opinion scattered around the board that will come up with a “ohmmu” search.

There was a software release a year or so ago that caused some cars with aftermarket batteries to throw error messages RE the 12v, but I believe it was resolved by Ohmmu and/or Tesla.

I just replaced my original lead acid 12v after 5 years. You’d be hard pressed to convince me a lithium replacement for ~4x the cost is a sound investment.

As I mentioned above, there is significant content and opinion scattered around the board that will come up with a “ohmmu” search.

There was a software release a year or so ago that caused some cars with aftermarket batteries to throw error messages RE the 12v, but I believe it was resolved by Ohmmu and/or Tesla.

I just replaced my original lead acid 12v after 5 years. You’d be hard pressed to convince me a lithium replacement for ~4x the cost is a sound investment.

Thanks ucmndd.

If yours lasted 5 years, I wonder if the 2016.5 refresh, or some of the software updates since then, solved some of the original issues with the MS 12v batteries dying after only 2 years.

People with a $75K to $100K automobile are complaining about spending an extra $300 on a lithium battery over a AGM...? Is this correct ?
Pretty much, yeah. I won’t speak for everyone, but I didn’t get to the point of being able to buy $75-100k automobiles by spending needless extra money on something with no tangible benefit, financial or otherwise.

Reactions: Roman Petres
ok..
This is the situation then i am reading: and trying to understand;
So, if there is no benefit to using a lithium battery, why are people making, selling, and apparently buying them ?
.... why spend $$$ on a Tesla to get u from point A to point B when a $ Kia can get you there for a lot less , transportation is transportation.
Maybe Mercedes Benz doesnt understand this and should start making much cheaper cars.
For that matter, maybe i should just buy all my clothes at Goodwill also...
I dont hear many people eating at mcdonalds complaining about the prices at at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.
If spending $400 on a lithium battery is frivolous , then at what price point is it not ?... Can I make a $150 lithium battery ? , sure... would you buy it ?

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Can I make a $150 lithium battery ? , sure... would you buy it ?
Personally, probably not, because all you’ve done is reach price parity with the default first party solution the car was designed for.

You’re starting from a premise that replacing the 12v lead acid battery with a lithium one is somehow objectively better and provides some sort of tangible benefit that justifies using a third party solution that was not the original design intent for a critical vehicle system. I don’t really accept that premise.

I find the rest of your argument, comparing a lithium ion battery to some sort of luxury good, completely nonsensical.

• Love
...So, if there is no benefit to using a lithium battery, why are people making, selling, and apparently buying them ?...
The problem with your argument is you didn't answer the question. You only ask more questions that cause more confusion and bring doubts to your point.

If Southwest Space Agency gives me a free bottle of water with the brand-name Pure Spring and I paid $70 for the ticket and United Aviation would charge me that same bottle of Pure Spring for the luxury price of $10 after I paid $1,000 for the same destination ticket, so what's the argument about if I paid $1,000 ticket, why do I complain about $10 water bottle that's free in the other airline?

That argument is confusing and does not help to justify how a free water bottle would cost a luxury price of $10!

There might be a reason why a luxury price is justifiable but you didn't spell it out.

The best argument is to stick to the reasons why it's good to pay more for Lithium such as:

Lighter weight
Reliable
Temperature tolerance
Durable
Longevity
Less wasted time for replacement
Costs more to waste 3 lead batteries than just buy 1 Lithium battery...

By the way, if you search for "luxury" on the Tesla site, it's doubtful that Tesla boasts its cars are "luxury". They may call something "Premium" like "Premium Connectivity" but not luxury.

Thus, if you keep talking about the concept of luxury, you would confuse many owners.