TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Little black "piece" fell out of my charge port?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by insaneoctane, Jun 25, 2018.

1. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

#1 insaneoctane, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    One of my kids was being a kid and either broke something or was just there when it happened (you can pick your version).... End result is a small square (ish) black piece about half the size of a stamp fell out of the charge port. Upon further inspection, it had a matching "from" shape in the inside corner of the port door and looks like it was originally bonded (glued) in place, but for whatever reason was no longer. Being the engineer that I am, I cleaned up the surfaces with some isopropyl alcohol and re-bonded the piece back into the door. As I walked away with the spring clip in place to assure a nice cure, I was struck by the fact that I've got a spring clamp attached to the charge port door glueing a little piece to my $60K car!
    Anyway, it seemed too easy vs messing with a service call. I'm guessing it was a magnet/plate for sensing door position? Not sure because the door seemed to function fine without it. Anyone else seen this "piece"?

• Informative x 1
  2. mekberg

mekberg Member

From what I understand it is for sensing door position. I would guess that eventually the car would throw a "charge port door needs service" error.

3. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

Others have reported this piece falling off as well. If I recall it’s sort of a trapezoid shape. I had to get my charge port door replaced several weeks back due to a service message I got about it after I washed my Model 3 for the first time. Tesla installed a newer version of the charge port on my Model 3 which has better seals to prevent water intrusion. I suspect they may have fixed this little plastic piece coming loose in the new version of the part as well. @insaneoctane what VIN range is your Model 3? I’m wondering if newer built cars are still having issues with this piece falling off.

4. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

14,XXX

5. jtpassat

jtpassat Member

mine fell off and I didn't even notice. It's what allows you to push the charge port and it automatically opens. I have it on my SC's list of to do the next time I go in. For now I just open using the display or app.

• Informative x 1
  6. mekberg

mekberg Member

So I just speak my piece
    Keep my (piece/peace)
    Cubans with the Jesus piece
    With my peeps

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. SigNC

SigNC Member

Classic.

• Like x 1
  8. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Wonder when the new charge port door was re designed?

9. daranello

daranello Member

glue mine back, was in my armrest during delivery

10. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

• Informative x 1
  11. TheOtherPete

TheOtherPete Member

Mine fell off within the first week, Delivered early June, VIN 19xxx.

My understanding is the "push to open" charge port feature won't work when it is missing - I used superglue to put it back on

• Like x 1
  12. VIKING26

VIKING26 Member

This morning my charge port made a strange sound when it closed. It looked like it wasn't flush with the car. I opened it and the magnet fell onto the ground. VIN 7xxx. I guess I'll just have to superglue it back into place. Hopefully that'll hold it for longer than five months.