Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Little black "piece" fell out of my charge port?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of my kids was being a kid and either broke something or was just there when it happened (you can pick your version).... End result is a small square (ish) black piece about half the size of a stamp fell out of the charge port. Upon further inspection, it had a matching "from" shape in the inside corner of the port door and looks like it was originally bonded (glued) in place, but for whatever reason was no longer. Being the engineer that I am, I cleaned up the surfaces with some isopropyl alcohol and re-bonded the piece back into the door. As I walked away with the spring clip in place to assure a nice cure, I was struck by the fact that I've got a spring clamp attached to the charge port door glueing a little piece to my $60K car!
Anyway, it seemed too easy vs messing with a service call. I'm guessing it was a magnet/plate for sensing door position? Not sure because the door seemed to function fine without it. Anyone else seen this "piece"?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
One of my kids was being a kid and either broke something or was just there when it happened (you can pick your version).... End result is a small square (is) black piece about half the size of a stamp fell out of the charge port. Upon further inspection, it had a matching "from" shape in the inside corner of the port door and looks like it was originally bonded (glued) in place, but for whatever reason was no longer. Being the engineer that I am, I cleaned up the surfaces with some isopropyl alcohol and re-bonded the piece back into the door. As I walked away with the spring clip in place to assure a nice cure, I was struck by the fact that I've got a spring clamp attached to the charge port door glueing a little piece to my $60K car!
Anyway, it seemed too easy vs messing with a service call. I'm guessing it was a magnet/plate for sensing door position? Not sure because the door seemed to function fine without it. Anyone else seen this "piece"?

From what I understand it is for sensing door position. I would guess that eventually the car would throw a "charge port door needs service" error.

Others have reported this piece falling off as well. If I recall it’s sort of a trapezoid shape. I had to get my charge port door replaced several weeks back due to a service message I got about it after I washed my Model 3 for the first time. Tesla installed a newer version of the charge port on my Model 3 which has better seals to prevent water intrusion. I suspect they may have fixed this little plastic piece coming loose in the new version of the part as well. @insaneoctane what VIN range is your Model 3? I’m wondering if newer built cars are still having issues with this piece falling off.

Others have reported this piece falling off as well. If I recall it’s sort of a trapezoid shape. I had to get my charge port door replaced several weeks back due to a service message I got about it after I washed my Model 3 for the first time. Tesla installed a newer version of the charge port on my Model 3 which has better seals to prevent water intrusion. I suspect they may have fixed this little plastic piece coming loose in the new version of the part as well. @insaneoctane what VIN range is your Model 3? I’m wondering if newer built cars are still having issues with this piece falling off.
14,XXX

This morning my charge port made a strange sound when it closed. It looked like it wasn't flush with the car. I opened it and the magnet fell onto the ground. VIN 7xxx. I guess I'll just have to superglue it back into place. Hopefully that'll hold it for longer than five months.

Mine fell out at a Supercharger in St Joseph’s, Michigan on the way south to Chicago for Turkey day. Outdoor temp what been around 25 degrees earlier. Wasn’t sure what piece was but picked it up and put it in console till reached destination. Contacted Tesla and they are going to fix it but I used small piece of double sided auto foam tape until then, cover wouldn’t open from outside until piece was back in place. Would worry that regular superglue wouldn’t hold plastic bond in our cold Michigan winters, or me trying to fix it permantly would affec5 warranty.

Mine fell out at a Supercharger in St Joseph’s, Michigan on the way south to Chicago for Turkey day. Outdoor temp what been around 25 degrees earlier. Wasn’t sure what piece was but picked it up and put it in console till reached destination. Contacted Tesla and they are going to fix it but I used small piece of double sided auto foam tape until then, cover wouldn’t open from outside until piece was back in place. Would worry that regular superglue wouldn’t hold plastic bond in our cold Michigan winters, or me trying to fix it permantly would affec5 warranty.
Tesla has supposedly come to the same conclusion about gluing it in, at least with whatever they've been using, and last I heard planned something of a redesign for the fix.

Tesla Mobile Service technician put mine back on with superglue when he was here a week ago. If it falls off again (and I find it again), I'll mix up a batch of JB Weld for a DIY repair. I didn't use JB Weld originally because it says there's a 24 hour curing time and I don't ever seem to park the 3 for 24 hours in a row.

Tesla Mobile Service technician put mine back on with superglue when he was here a week ago. If it falls off again (and I find it again), I'll mix up a batch of JB Weld for a DIY repair. I didn't use JB Weld originally because it says there's a 24 hour curing time and I don't ever seem to park the 3 for 24 hours in a row.
I'm sure the normal JB Weld would be fine in your situation since this part isn't really stressed. If not, there is the quick cure JD Weld. It's under 10 minute set and fully cured in 4-6 hours.