Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Little niggles after collection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Picked up at Leeds yesterday and there were a number of issues that we logged before signing with the guy who showed us the car. When I booked the service appointment, I just listed these issues on a single line as "Issues logged with *** at Leeds SC on delivery" - I assume that's all I need to do for that as they already have a record of issues. I used a couple of other lines to log two other issues:
  • our driver's side indicator unit isn't flush with the bodywork like the left side is
  • the centre console panels that cover the charger and storage don't line up when you close them

Actually did feel rushed. The rep said he prides himself on turning round deliveries in record time and that they are actually rewarded for this. I told him that would run counter to customer service. Hopefully we don't find anything else we would have discovered had we taken as long as we'd have liked.

Reactions: Roy W.
Re: the wipers - In normal rain they are working well for me, but fine rain and surface spray not working well at all. You'd think with today's computing power someone would have this nailed by now.

Re: auto headlights - it's a hard one to get right, because there are a lot of instances where you would dip the lights and there are no obvious visual cues - eg entering a village, coming up to a T-junction etc. I've noticed it will dim the lights if you are facing a large reflective road sign, which can actually help in reducing glare and is something I would probably do myself.

I finally collected the M3 on Saturday from Dartford. Good experience, was quite busy but whole process was not rushed.

Checked over the car there and then and seemed ok but in my excitement to get going missed some nicks on the interior trim. I also noticed that around the front door bolts that the pain was lacking a bit. There was also some silver tape sticking g out of the trim along the cill on the drivers side, which seems just poor assembly.

Anyone have any experience about resolving these type of things. I have booked a service centre appointment but lack of a person to speak to an explain does feel a bit uncertain how effectively these things will be fixed. Trim bits need replacing.

Car itself is a revelation though!

I have my SC appointment for tomorrow and as well as receiving text and email reminders, I have just had a phone call. What is slightly disturbing is that they are refusing to do anything about the lack of paint in the door jambs (within Tesla spec!) or the really bad rubber trim around the windows (they are all like that!). Not happy, and a bit upset that such an astonishing and expensive car is being let down by such poor fit and finish. I think Tesla is going to have to up its game once the mainstream car manufacturers start mass producing their own BEVs.

Attachments

• Missing paint FL door jamb_1.JPG
    Missing paint FL door jamb_1.JPG
    455.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Trim Back of FR door.JPG
    Trim Back of FR door.JPG
    475.7 KB · Views: 35
  • Window seal RL door.JPG
    Window seal RL door.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 38
I have my SC appointment for tomorrow and as well as receiving text and email reminders, I have just had a phone call. What is slightly disturbing is that they are refusing to do anything about the lack of paint in the door jambs (within Tesla spec!) or the really bad rubber trim around the windows (they are all like that!). Not happy, and a bit upset that such an astonishing and expensive car is being let down by such poor fit and finish. I think Tesla is going to have to up its game once the mainstream car manufacturers start mass producing their own BEVs.

im expecting the same about my niggles, love the cars (this is my second) but they are just not yet there on the quality/build side. Will see how far I get with my SC visit...
Having said that, I’ve had plenty of pretty awful experiences with franchised dealers for the luxury brands...

Teslas are expensive cars but they aren't luxury cars. One also gets the impression that after the honeymoon period of throwing money at their network of chargers and service centres they are 'nickel and diming' to maximise profit.
I don't have a problem with profit but I do have a problem with poor quality and avoidance of responsibility for it, for changing goalposts and perpetual failure to live up to promises - don't make them if you can't keep to the schedule you set..

Reactions: MrBadger and Roy W.
Re: auto headlights - it's a hard one to get right, because there are a lot of instances where you would dip the lights and there are no obvious visual cues - eg entering a village, coming up to a T-junction

Messing around with the options available on my Octavia via VCDS shows that there are considerations for vehicle speed and "urban area detection" amongst others. Vehicle speed considers minimum speed before the high beams activate (40mph) then speed under which they'l deactivate (30 mph). The urban area detection is related to identifying streetlights.

I'd have thought that villages would be covered by identification of streetlights (multiple point sources) and junctions by vehicle speed.