TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Little to no media coverage of the Coast-to-Coast RT and Elon's EU speeches

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by yobigd20, Feb 3, 2014.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Given that I sit in front of software streaming real time news all day long, I get to see pretty much every news article, press release, patent publications, twitter feeds, market wires, etc etc etc related to Tesla and Elon Musk, I have to say that over the last week there has been little-to-no media coverage of the coast-to-coast trip and especially not even a single word related to Elon's speeches in the EU. I have seen two, maybe 3 articles about the completion of the coast to coast trip. Nothing too big - not really any big media outlets running with that if any at all. I mean the world was watching at the auto shows and Elon's appearances at various events in the US and there was plenty of coverage on that (especially regarding the ~6900 deliveries, and disappointment of no production Model X reveal or no AWD MS reveal at the car shows), but I am very disappointed I haven't seen a single news ticker about some of the recent announcements at the EU speeches. But its just really disappointing I've not seen a single word in the media about big ticket items like Gen III and all future Tesla vehicles being able to use the superchargers free for life, as well as upcoming v6 software enhancements, smart traffic navigation, possible bigger battery packs, HUGE EU supercharger rollout, auto-pilot features, and the return of the low air suspension (especially considering it's relevance to the "tow-hitch" incidents).

Either those things are not 'exciting' enough for anyone to care about (media seems to hyper focus in on negativity that might generate good 'ratings'), or I think the media is sleeping. Or perhaps they were all just too busy watching the boring super bowl and are still hungover this morning. I'm going to go with the that one. lol

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

There was that whole super bowl thing, and honestly I don't care for it and still didn't find the Tesla rally all that interesting. It was a cool little thing to do, but nothing all that amazing. If it were Elon that may have been a bigger deal, and even then, more for the name.

3. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Just goes to show the bias in the media on what they choose to cover. :rolleyes:

Seems like they've morphed the old "If it bleeds, it leads" mantra in to a more Tesla-centric "If it ain't burned, it's spurned".

4. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

Reminds me of a Kenny quote in South Park (pick any episode): "Those bastards!"

5. sp4rk

sp4rk Banned

CBS Morning this morning ... had an interview of him ... in the background was Talulah and his kids. About 8am?

6. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

The coast to coast was a nice event, something that can be pointed to when someone talks about long distance travel, but it's not a particularly note worthy thing from a splashy PR perspective. Look, see, we can travel across country...just like every gas car for the last several decades. Uh, yay?

It's an important thing to be able to point to when de-FUDing about compromises with EVs, but touting a feature of your technology sort of, mostly matches existing technology isn't going to garner much attention.

7. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

Might be a combination of simply not paying attention and not understanding the significance. If you remember back to the very first mention of the SuperCharger Network. Elon Musk was very excited to announce Tesla's plans to build it and nobody in the media 'got it' for several months and even then they didn't really 'get it'. Even now, there are many who haven't grasped the importance, lacking foresight beyond today or next week.

8. chickensevil

chickensevil Active Member

Trying to find this, any chance you have seen this posted somewhere online?

9. evme

evme Member

It got decent start coverage. But I think at issue is that we were all waiting to see if it got the Guinness world record and how much time charging. So far Tesla has posted that it is being assessed. They posted stats like kwh and time but no information on how much time they spent charging. Which was kind of the point of the event from a media pr perspective.

Tesla did not even link to the trip is complete blog on twitter.

10. yobigd20

11. GlennAlanBerry

Yeah, that was a pretty decent interview. Elon did a good job, and the interview questions were not that stupid. Even though the CBS Morning News is in 3rd place in the ratings among the morning shows, a decent amount of people probably saw that interview.

12. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

decent interview. sure hope Elon and Charlie Rose sat down later today and did a longer interview for Charlie's show. can't think of a better platform for Elon to have the chance to have a rational fact based discussion to widen awareness of what Tesla is about and respond to misperceptions.

Elon seems like Charlies's ideal guest... business, technology, vision, and both of them great in an interview. Elon was on once by himself around 2009, and once with Bob Lutz roughly 2011. I've been surprised given the tremendous 2013 Tesla had, and Elon's accessibility for interviews that we've not seen him on Charlie Rose since that Lutz interview.

13. yobigd20

Is he scheduled to be on the Charlie Rose show? His show is actually recorded in our office. I looked but didn't see anything on the schedule for Elon.

14. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Disagree, what is so noteworthy is that Tesla Model S owners can now drive cross country FOR FREE (zero energy cost, and zero pollution by the way).

That has never been done before. That is the story!

15. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yes, and almost no one will care, just like no one gets excited when we note that EV driving is far cheaper in general. The only folks that are going to be excited about this are EV folks.

What it does do, which I noted before, is knock down an anti-EV argument about not being able to make long trips. That's a big deal for EV acceptance, but it's not sexy and won't garner much in the way of headlines (which is what the OP was asking about...why wasn't it getting lots of headlines).

16. evme

evme Member

While it might not be exciting for non-EV owners. It got a lot more attention pre-race than post race. The biggest thing that is holding the publicity back is lack of status on guineas world record and lack of stats on charging time.

Though it is getting publications from major newspapers such as Chicago Tribune and San Francisco Chronicle, but nobody reads newspapers anymore.

One thing I do notice is that other people are now going to do the cross country trip and that is getting media attention.

17. SteveG3

SteveG3 Active Member

really nice building yobigd, was there a couple times last spring. as to scheduling, I just was saying it would be a really good venue for Elon, and to be clear I have no information indicating it will happen.

18. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"You bastards!" Also, it's about Kenny not by Kenny. ;)

19. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Yes, because it wasn't a big deal when the first ICE did it; after all, trains had been doing it for decades.

And it wasn't a big deal for trains either (it's not like they had some big celebration with anything gold being pounded into the ground). After all, horses had been crossing the country for decades...

/MASSIVE sarcasm

20. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

I'm also not sure what your disagreement is and why you chose to be snarky. I did say it's a important thing. It's just not a splashy PR thing. Those aren't the same. Remember when Elon was asked what would surprise people about the S and he said the level of safety? He said he led with that once and it really fell flat, so he stopped talking about it. It's obviously an important thing, but it failed as a splashy PR item.

It's taken a lot of time for Superchargers to start to dawn on folks on why they're such a big deal. Again, splashy != important and the original poster, the person whose comment I was speaking to, asked why this trip wasn't splashed across bunches of headlines. It's because it's not an attention gathering sort of headline item, but that doesn't diminish the importance.