TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

LIVE BID! Spend the Day in LA with Tesla Founder Elon Musk

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Norbert, May 14, 2012.

1. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

LOL:

charitybuzz | #306802 - LIVE BID! Spend the Day in LA with Tesla Founder Elon Musk

Current bid: $15,000

The auction will run until "4PM EST on Thursday, May 17, 2012".

What's your guess will be the final bid? ;)

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

That's pretty frickin cool. I'm going to guess it'll top 100k, and depending on who gets interested... 250?

3. Majerus

Majerus Member

That is awesome.. too bad I do not have the financial means to even think about bidding

4. daniel

daniel Active Member

I cannot imagine anyone bidding $100,000. I could see a day with Elon as a "sweetener" for investing $100,000 or $250,000 in Tesla stock or corporate bonds. I think he's a cool guy, but this is making him out to be a cult figure. If the current bid is $15,000 I could see it going to $25,000 maybe, but I'd guess $20,000.

I see the big draw primarily as the tour of the facilities, and secondarily as the time with Elon. As far as a ride in his Roadster, that's no biggie, since I have a Roadster of my own. I actually think a better offer would be to have an engineer at each facility do the tour, and then have lunch with Elon so I could say I'd met him.

As far as a day in L.A., breathing smog for a day is not my idea of fun.

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Whoops, didn't see the estimated value at 100k, so on point there. With enough attention, I could see some big money getting wind and driving the price up, though if they're that big, they might be able to get elon time sans auction.

6. daniel

daniel Active Member

I just noticed this:

That changes things, since you're not paying Elon or Tesla for the day, you're donating to charity, and getting the day as a perk.

And the on-line auction is just a prelude to the live auction. But you can enter a "maximum bid" and they'll bid on your behalf, so you don't have to be there. If the attendees are big philanthropists who support the named charities, then I could see AnOutsider's predictions being a good call. I'd want to know what they've gotten in the past for a day with a celebrity.

7. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Now at $16,000. There are lots of other well-known and not so well-known celebrities participating in making similar offers, some for the same causes, some for other causes.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

If you wanted to pitch Elon your flux capacitor idea you might find a day with him worth it.

9. Majerus

Majerus Member

I wonder what he would think about that :)

10. daniel

daniel Active Member

I think he'd find it amusing that someone was willing to place a winning bid, just to tell him that he ought to incorporate a make-believe time-travel device and a make-believe nuclear power plant in his cars. He's obviously a pretty decent guy, to be willing to donate a day of his busy time for charity, so I bet he'd play along.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Still @ 17k... Maybe it won't be going anywhere afterall... I do feel for the guy though if he gets stuck with someone talking his ear off and pitching business ideas all day -- though, I guess he would have known that was a possibility from the gate.

12. Bearman

Bearman Member

Im curious, If you went to the dinner what would you tell/ask Elon?

:smile:

13. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

"Elon, Tesla store in Raleigh, trust me."

14. daniel

daniel Active Member

I doubt the winning bid will be someone who just wants to spend the day pitching ideas. The nut jobs who seriously think they have an idea worth anything to Tesla or Space X are not likely to have that kind of money to throw around. A more likely worst-case is a bore. And Elon must be prepared for that possibility.

It's possible that the real bidding will be at the live auction. I admit I'm very curious what the winning bid will be.

Service center in Spokane, PLEASE!!!!!! :)

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

now up to 20k

16. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Anyone know what it closed at?

17. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Lost track of this... but I suppose today, it would have gone up a step... ;)