TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Livestream for the Amsterdam event with Elon Musk and JB Straubel on 31-1-2014.

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Benz, Jan 31, 2014.

1. matbl

matbl Member

Please report the highlights afterwards. :)

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

3. Clprenz

Clprenz Member

Here's what I got:
    Today Elon and JB Struabel were in Munich to announce some things:

-German Lease/Loan Program
    -Germany covered by superchargers by end of summer
    -Customizable lowering of air suspension coming soon on Software
    -A rebate for consumers in German for purchasing Renewable electricity, 250 euros a year
    -JB claims, "We will continue to double production"
    -Ten year vision for the car, "If things go well, a 25% of cars manufactured will be electric by then."
    -We have a roster of interesting announcements, but we will space them out

Things facing Gen3: Not tech, battery factory is needed, Tesla needs capital to upgrade factory, and design

They are stoping Amsterdam and Oslo to announce same thing and more things (major software upgrade)

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Someone was talking about intelligent navigation etc, couldn't hear everything but...

Elon: I think you're going to be happy very soon! [Cheers from the audience]

- - - Updated - - -

@Clprenz: the Munich discussion is over here: Elon-in-Munich-on-Jan-30-2014

- - - Updated - - -

Elon: For the purposes of warranty, you don't need to do annual maintenance.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon: We want SuperChargers to be so prevalent that you don't have to think about where they are.

- - - Updated - - -

Elon: We've been thinking for some time about a software developers kit....we hope you'll be able to do 3rd party apps next year....so about a year from now.

5. Mario Kadastik

Mario Kadastik Active Member

Battery swap between LA and SF in a couple of months. Not new, but timeline...

6. Benz

Benz Active Member

I am surprised that Elon Musk did not start with an announcement, but he immediately started with Q&A.

7. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Question on firmware 'downgrades':

Elon: On a temporary basis we wanted to do the safest thing possible. In version 6.0 you'll be able to set the speeds that you want the car to lower....can be constantly lower or not at all....manual transition will also be possible.

Elon: Paramount is/was safety....see it is as one step backwards and two steps forward.

Elon: Version 6.0 will be the biggest update we've had in some time.

8. Mario Kadastik

Version 6.0 just a few weeks away.

9. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Enthusiast

Did he say manual transitions at all speeds aka you can keep it on high in snowy conditions?

10. Mario Kadastik

I think he meant lowering, but I'd be thrilled if that's also true for high.

11. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Elon: Chademo adapter will be available in two months.

12. matbl

matbl Member

Any word on CCS DC adapter?

13. Benz

Benz Active Member

I hope there will be more news in Oslo tomorrow.

And I hope that our Norwegian Tesla friends will arrange a livestream as well.

14. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

They did talk about different adapters but I was in and out, so I didn't catch everything.

15. uselesslogin

uselesslogin Enthusiast

I think the answer there was they designed the Tesla to accept any type of fast DC charging with an appropriate adapter but that they aren't working on any other adapter right now.

16. SwedishAdvocate

SwedishAdvocate Active Member

That’s how I remember it. I guess it’s best if I don’t claim 100% certainty though…

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Pretty sure it will only affect low. I've heard that they'd have to do more crash testing if they wanted to run the car at speed in High mode.

18. Mario Kadastik

Firstly, the CCS combo was something that they confirmed wouldn't be a problem to do an adapter if they assumed that it's worth doing (from JB). However they don't think they need to do it right now because there are hardly any installations available for it, instead they will make the CHAdeMO adapter that is already quite prevalent and will continue to build out the superchargers so that you wouldn't have to think where they are. If the CCS installations reach a reasonable level that it starts to make sense, then they'll think about it, but it should be trivial.

What they said was the reason the adapters etc take time far longer is that now that there are tens of thousands of cars out there they need to do far far more extensive testing. If they order a batch of 100 adapters and test them, then they can get the failure rate in 100 estimate yet it might also come back fully clean like it happened to them for something (they didn't want to go into details) and then suddenly issues popped up when customers started using it en masse. For roadster for example when they had an issue rate of 1/1000 that meant that on average 2-3 people had an issue and that could be resolve deasily. At 30k that's already 30 or so people so they need to test more.

Also they claimed that their main main priority right now is getting the car compatible to as many charging systems as possible and grid oddities everywhere. Multiple countries have variations in the grid that are substantial and they need to make it work so majority of the engineering effort is on that right now.

With regard to lowering I'd be happy if the High mode would be at least tunable to a BIT higher speed, even if I need to click OK on some disclaimer. I'd prefer to limit it at 50km/h so that I can traverse snowy roads adequately. Right now it's 32km/h I think (20mph).

19. matbl

matbl Member

Thanks Mario. That makes sense. And even if I nag about the CCS DC capability, Tesla is of course right that it there's no use for an adapter yet.