Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living in constant fear of v9....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
V9 is an embarrassment.

Gave an architect (software, not buildings) a ride the other day. He was incredulous that there was a fart app and horribly bad UI/UX, as this presented an obvious mixup in priorities.

While he appreciated the car’s performance, he became a non-buyer that day because of the poor UI/UX.

You read that right - a sale lost due to v9.

Imagine when a competitor delivers competent UI/UX. People base buying decisions upon such things when they are not overly-forgiving early adopters - as many of us staunchly are.

Don’t think so? Are you married? :).

As I’ve noted - Tesla’s greatest competitive advantages are the global SC network and battery technology. Tesla’s greatest weaknesses include UI/UX, service inconsistencies, and a growing number of unmet promises that are directly proportional to the number of current and future class actions.

They’ve made progress with service, and with a few more adults in the room, fewer irresponsible statements should emanate from Dear Leader. That leaves UI/UX.

Think of software versions as political candidates with some % of favorables and some number of unfavorables. For those who have owned cars w/ v6, v7, v8, and v9, how would you rank them?

I don’t expect Tesla to change until the competition spanks them in the UI/UX arena. Why? Because at the rate of 360,000 new vehicles/year, the number of new owners will soon dwarf the old guard. And new owners don’t know any better.

That doesn’t make new owners worse, btw - it just means that they lack the frame of reference and experience to comment credibly about the differences and decline in UI/UX quality over time. A few, however, know good UI from bad and hopefully will be just as vocal as the old guard to get some of the more glaring errors fixed sooner than later.

For those who have owned cars w/ v6, v7, v8, and v9, how would you rank them?

I don't remember exactly, but in terms of UI, I would probably rank them in order as I feel the UI got worse with each new version. It probably has to do with the need to support older processors so they strip things out of the UI to keep good performance as they add features.

I like the new functionality added to the newer versions as they come-up, but not the UI updates.

I'm not averse to change. I find that, with any software, I typically don't like a new version but, once I get accustomed to it, I realize it's actually better. I have had V9 for several months. I'm accustomed to it. I still don't like it. It's definitely not better than the older versions.

I guess I'm in the minority, as I actually prefer the UI of V9 to that of V8. I don't like that there's decreased granularity of control over HVAC ("Auto" is all or nothing now) in 9, but I like that I can control my heated seats from my phone, which I couldn't do in 8. I like the interaction of the media player, and how it can be 3 different sizes to give more room for the map. The map is what I find most useful and important in the MCU, and I like the new map color scheme as it makes it easier to see essential data at a quick glance (although I know people have complained as it's not as pretty as it was before, it's more down to business).

My use case is having the map up to see traffic and possible detours I can take, I also almost always start nav not because I don't know where I'm going, but because I like to have a live ETA running (and try to beat the clock). Of course the voice prompts are off, because that would get hella annoying, lol. When I got my first Tesla they showed me that you could keep the rear camera up while driving, which I thought was novel, but distracting, so I only ever use it while backing up. I can definitely see that if you get used to that process flow of driving with a large rear view, then no longer have that option it would hurt, but that's the only use case I've seen that's missing in V9 from V8.

It would seem that the designers of the UI had the same mindset as I do, because I feel as if V9 was a great step in the right direction, but that's why it's important to have a large panel of testers to get other opinions and use cases in (like people who prefer to drive with the rear cam up). The problem with waiting for 10 is it's just as likely to ruffle more feathers as well, and surely will carry over a few V9 design elements as well, making the transition from 8 to 10 even rougher. In the mean time, I still enjoy trying new releases when they come out, just so long as they fix the damn HDRadio buttons soon, haha.

For those who have owned cars w/ v6, v7, v8, and v9, how would you rank them?
I never had 6.
V7 was quite nice. No complaints - very satisfied.
V8 was fine. Some differences to V7, but nothing all that good or bad for me, personally. Then the top icons started their disappearing trick and things went downhill. I think this was actually the start of transitioning to V9, getting used to the edge-to-edge maps. I stopped updating before the maps quality went down (loss of colors and loss of indication of incomplete data, e.g., no more green lines), which I also think was a concession to CPU drain from the soon-to-come all-maps, all-the time.
V9, I could just look at the pre-release pictures and see problems, and stayed well clear.
V10: I will be comparing the Tesla driver's experience to e-Tron, Taycan, etc. by that time. I hope it measures up.

Anybody tweeted Elon lately offering badly needed UI/UX help yet?

I'm not a tweeter (yet) but this just might inspire me to make an account to cast one vote into the twittersphere of social influence on this subject. Maybe Tesla does give a hootsuite and weighs the impact of social cred in prioritizing what gets done next.

I wish they'd open source this and we could pick and choose how to use the screen real estate better. Nice car wrap on the outside, custom skin on the console... Themes emerge... this could be awesome.

These are just user convenience features, application-level things... it's not as if we'd be mucking with the driveability / safety of the car or anything.

C'mon! Elon... open source my console! do it do it do it... (Tweet #2)

Last edited:
I don’t expect Tesla to change until the competition spanks them in the UI/UX arena. Why? Because at the rate of 360,000 new vehicles/year, the number of new owners will soon dwarf the old guard. And new owners don’t know any better.
Not true, unless those new owners have never driven any other cars. People knowingly sacrifice good UI/UX for the EV drivetrain and driving performance, like people who drive supercars without AC. Not everyone is willing to do that though, I have a friend who recently shopped for a new car, after extensively Test driving a Model X (he had an opportunity to drive it many times), he bought an Audi SUV instead, spending about the same amount of money. When I asked him what was the biggest reason, he said "I can operate almost any function of my car without taking my eyes off the road" - something no Tesla on the road today will ever be able to claim.

Do you still use Windows 98? No? Well I think you have underlying issues.

Don’t get why some hate V9. Treats me well.

I guess I'm in the minority, as I actually prefer the UI of V9 to that of V8. I don't like that there's decreased granularity of control over HVAC ("Auto" is all or nothing now) in 9, but I like that I can control my heated seats from my phone, which I couldn't do in 8. I like the interaction of the media player, and how it can be 3 different sizes to give more room for the map. The map is what I find most useful and important in the MCU, and I like the new map color scheme as it makes it easier to see essential data at a quick glance (although I know people have complained as it's not as pretty as it was before, it's more down to business).

My use case is having the map up to see traffic and possible detours I can take, I also almost always start nav not because I don't know where I'm going, but because I like to have a live ETA running (and try to beat the clock). Of course the voice prompts are off, because that would get hella annoying, lol. When I got my first Tesla they showed me that you could keep the rear camera up while driving, which I thought was novel, but distracting, so I only ever use it while backing up. I can definitely see that if you get used to that process flow of driving with a large rear view, then no longer have that option it would hurt, but that's the only use case I've seen that's missing in V9 from V8.

It would seem that the designers of the UI had the same mindset as I do, because I feel as if V9 was a great step in the right direction, but that's why it's important to have a large panel of testers to get other opinions and use cases in (like people who prefer to drive with the rear cam up). The problem with waiting for 10 is it's just as likely to ruffle more feathers as well, and surely will carry over a few V9 design elements as well, making the transition from 8 to 10 even rougher. In the mean time, I still enjoy trying new releases when they come out, just so long as they fix the damn HDRadio buttons soon, haha.

I'm also good with v9
Don't get how it's an embarrassing UI ???

As far as Rear Camera up all the time, I don't use that.
99% of other Cars dont have Rear Camera up as an option at all, so does that mean everyone elses cars are crap???
My 2014 Vette & the Wifes 2018 Cadillac have 2 meh UIs & Voice Control is nothing short of a Laughable Joke, seriously if you work for GM and do code for the Voice Control you should be embarrassed to cash your paycheck...

Reactions: dgpcolorado
99% of other Cars dont have Rear Camera up as an option at all, so does that mean everyone elses cars are crap???
My cousin just got a 2018 BMW M3, amazing car, and no one cares (or SHOULD care) about UI when it comes to driving an M3, but the UI in that is just slightly evolutionary from the (relatively clunky) iDrive I had in my 2007 335i, which was evolutionary from the original iDrive itself. I drove a 2018 Audi, and it was similar. I drove a 2017 Caddy and it was worse (as you mentioned). Could Tesla do better? Absolutely, there's tons of room for improvement, but honestly it's a breath of fresh air coming from most other competitors in the same segment. I also have to say that the MCU2 does make a big difference in the UI being smooth and not clunky or slow.

I haven't messed around much with Benz, Jag, or others, so I can't speak for them, but I think it comes down to a preference for how you like to use the MCU in a Tesla. If you like the map as the most significant data, then you'll probably love V9. If you prefer to have the rear view cam up all the time, you probably won't like V9.

I don't keep the rear camera up, it makes me dizzy -- I have this development called 'rear-view mirrors adjusted properly', and if the corner case of a motorcycle zooming up at 110mph while I'm changing lanes, too bad for him. But I do keep the media player up and I want that on top. To not have this choice is unacceptable and I'm not allowing v9. They have gone off the rails here, 'streamlining' and standardizing.

Everyone wants to be able to set it their way and have it stick. How is this a question? Even for M3? And to make changing the A/C or lights while driving, a math problem? Come on.

But so many here criticize Elon, 'Elon Time', 'broken promises', and other stupid assessments. Those people just have no idea of the hard things and fundamental improvements he is making that no one else has for decades. He's cleaning the lint from under the nation's bed and out of our head. It takes ten times the effort to move forward, as it does to coast, some of us know.

Recently an EU report found that the proposed new Arienne rocket might as well not be built because it couldn't compete with SpaceX -today-! Porsche-Audi were surprised with the efficient construction of the M3 and had to go back and redesign their Tucan {hehe} and eTron skate. Their software delays alone have pushed back production from a launch last year to two years hence!

But you know what? Those fickle nay-sayers will flip-flop when it becomes apparent the great things he's done decades in the future, and they'll hope that no one will remember what they'd said. I'll be dead but some will remember. Sure, some have truly had problems, there always will, but they'll always (eventually) get fixed; let's not conflate this with the fundamentals. It's lonely at the top, and I am glad that Elon has the fortitude to press forward with his visions despite all the criticism and nay-sayers. May God bless Elon.

Last edited:
My cousin just got a 2018 BMW M3, amazing car, and no one cares (or SHOULD care) about UI when it comes to driving an M3, but the UI in that is just slightly evolutionary from the (relatively clunky) iDrive I had in my 2007 335i, which was evolutionary from the original iDrive itself. I drove a 2018 Audi, and it was similar. I drove a 2017 Caddy and it was worse (as you mentioned). Could Tesla do better? Absolutely, there's tons of room for improvement, but honestly it's a breath of fresh air coming from most other competitors in the same segment. I also have to say that the MCU2 does make a big difference in the UI being smooth and not clunky or slow.

I haven't messed around much with Benz, Jag, or others, so I can't speak for them, but I think it comes down to a preference for how you like to use the MCU in a Tesla. If you like the map as the most significant data, then you'll probably love V9. If you prefer to have the rear view cam up all the time, you probably won't like V9.
Yeah. If anyone asked what I live in fear of, after real problems like destroying the planet, class warfare, facism, disease, war... it would be having to drive one of those other cars... V9 or not! ;)

he bought an Audi SUV instead, spending about the same amount of money. When I asked him what was the biggest reason, he said "I can operate almost any function of my car without taking my eyes off the road" - something no Tesla on the road today will ever be able to claim.

This.

This is so important and Tesla nearly totally missed the mark! Two thumbwheel buttons can only do so much.

v6 software was better at this.. but has steadily gone downhill since.

auto-hiding top row icons in v8... shoot me. A perfect example of anti-driver ergonomics

slide and swipe mess of v9 ... this should be illegal

goodbye color and hello mild shades of grey for everything... low contrast too, hey, why not?

shrinking icons that are hard to hit with touch-enabled gloves in winter months

tiny type on things when there is really LOTS OF SPACE available to fill, but don't

I could go on... but your friend did the best thing, by putting his money where the design works better, Audi in this case

This.

This is so important and Tesla nearly totally missed the mark! Two thumbwheel buttons can only do so much.

v6 software was better at this.. but has steadily gone downhill since.

auto-hiding top row icons in v8... shoot me. A perfect example of anti-driver ergonomics

slide and swipe mess of v9 ... this should be illegal

goodbye color and hello mild shades of grey for everything... low contrast too, hey, why not?

shrinking icons that are hard to hit with touch-enabled gloves in winter months

tiny type on things when there is really LOTS OF SPACE available to fill, but don't

I could go on... but your friend did the best thing, by putting his money where the design works better, Audi in this case

I agree that textured physical buttons or hotkeys are much easier to operate compared to searching through menus on a touchscreen. I can raise and lower the windows, flash the hazard lights, and open the glovebox without using my eyes and without much concentration. Turning on the defroster, turning on the interior lights/fog lights, and using the sunroof takes a lot more concentration. I've gotten use to the placement of some of the touchscreen items without looking, but it takes more thought than a textured button or switch.