Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living in Hilton Head Island, SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Moderator note: The first three posts of this thread were moved from the thread discussing the Hilton Head Island Supercharger.

This probably isn't the perfect thread for this, but here goes.

We're down in HHI this week with our Tesla and love it. How many of you people live on HHI or near it? We're thinking of moving down here with the kids for the year round outdoor lifestyle (I dont golf). What are the big drawbacks down here? We have been pleasantly surprised by the masking, the number of restaurant choices and amenities that have been lacking other places we have visited (Duck, NC, Kiawah, SC, etc). Is the weather always this nice? I know it rained earlier this week, but that was passing and then it was 90 and sunny again. How F'd is the island with tropical storms? Does it flood?

We're from MD, so anything else that we might be missing feel free to add your thoughts on.

Also, just to keep it on topic the HHI supercharger was working perfectly and I almost got a full charge while shopping at Harris Teeter.

Last edited by a moderator:
This probably isn't the perfect thread for this, but here goes.

We're down in HHI this week with our Tesla and love it. How many of you people live on HHI or near it? We're thinking of moving down here with the kids for the year round outdoor lifestyle (I dont golf). What are the big drawbacks down here? We have been pleasantly surprised by the masking, the number of restaurant choices and amenities that have been lacking other places we have visited (Duck, NC, Kiawah, SC, etc). Is the weather always this nice? I know it rained earlier this week, but that was passing and then it was 90 and sunny again. How F'd is the island with tropical storms? Does it flood?

We're from MD, so anything else that we might be missing feel free to add your thoughts on.

Also, just to keep it on topic the HHI supercharger was working perfectly and I almost got a full charge while shopping at Harris Teeter.
It definitely still gets cold in the winter in HHI (40s/50s and some 30s) as it's not Miami but cold for South Carolina isn't the same as cold for MD. HHI is no different then any other coastal town meaning it can flood during hurricane season if the right one comes through.

Also I'm just gunna tell you up front if you're concerned about mask policies South Carolina and anywhere else down here is not a place for you lol. However, HHI is more of a retirement town then others so I imagine masking is more prevalent there than other parts of the state.

I'm not from HHI but we vacation there about once per year. It's a nice area but super busy/crowded because EVERYBODY seems to be there in the summer. A lot of people buy a house there, use it 3-4 times per year, then rent it the rest of the year. I have a friend who lives nearby (Spring Island) and loves it there. If you decide to buy on HHI, I suggest you look at Palmetto Dunes. You have everything you need there (or right across US278) so you can avoid a lot of traffic. Good Luck!

Agree with Jeremy that it is more of a retirement town compared to other beach areas in SC. Not an issue, just an older crowd and feel. There's still plenty to do with families. It is definitely packed during the summer so you'll need to plan for the traffic. My parents have a place in HHI where they spend ~half the year. Also agree with Jeremy that if you're wanting everyone to be mandated to wear a mask then SC is probably not the state for you. As far as charging goes, you're going to be doing most of it at home, but the new Hardeeville and about to open Yemassee superchargers allow you to head off the island with no issue. The new supercharger on HHI can also help you if you're in a pinch and need some quick charging when leaving/arriving.