Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living in Utah - What Options for the Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Fellow Utahans,

We have put in an order for a Model S (although not confirmed yet as we are still considering the set of options). We live in Park City and commute daily down to Salt Lake (around 70 miles round trip). Right now we are looking at the regular 85 in Brown (we've had so many "popular" colors (white, black, gray, silver, red) that my wife thinks that something unique is interesting). Not sure that is a good idea for resale, but cest la vie.

Anyway, our biggest debates are the pano roof and the sub zero package. On the pano roof, we have had sunroofs in our cars and they get used very rarely (mostly our driving is freeways). I also worry that with our over 100 degree days that having the car sit out side and bake it is going to be extra miserable in the car. Any of you have an experience with the pano roof in Utah?

On the sub zero package, our kids are grown, so the heated rear seats seems like a waste. The wiper blade defrosters and washer nozzle heaters seem useful (although the car will be garaged at night). Any thoughts here?

Any other advice to a future Model S owner?

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, another Utah Model S! Congratulations, you will love your car!

We have the pano roof and we love it. Probably the best aspect of the pano roof is the view from the back seat which really is nice. The tinting and heat blocking works well. All summer long, and this one has been hot and sunny, we have not had any problem with heat from the pano roof. The HVAC also works quickly and strong, keeping both rows very comfortable at any outside temperature. (The rear facing seats are a completely different story, and if you are planning to get them, there are several threads on the heat issues of the rear facing seats).

As for the winter package, we got our Model S before it was available. If you are going to be driving Parley's Canyon all winter, my guess is you will appreciate the sub zero package, and you should consider dedicated winter tires as well.

You can find other Utah specific thoughts in this thread: To New Utah Model S Owners - Things I Learned Along the Way

I agree with BrianW. I've never bothered with sun roofs in the past, if I had them, I always kept the moonroof closed because I hated the sun coming through. I absolutely love the Pano. No issues with the sun coming through while driving, and heat is not a problem, though I'd highly recommend tinting all the side windows (way more heat comes through that way). Since tinting the side windows my car doesn't really get hot. Regardless, since you can pre-cool the cabin with the App, it doesn't really matter either way.

I haven't been through a winter with my Model S yet, so I don't know how necessary the Cold Weather Package is in our climate. It wasn't offered when I bought my car, but I would have picked it up if it had been. As BryanW said, make sure you get winter tires!

Thanks BrianW and Denarius. I did read about 22 pages of posts about problems with the pano roof and it creaking, but as near as I can tell from the thread that has been corrected.

As for snow tires. Yes, we put snows on both of our cars (one is a Prius and the other an SUV) [the downside of replacing the Prius with the Model S is that we are already getting around 48MPG, so the EV isn't as big of an improvement as for most folks]. Anyway, pretty much snows are totally required for living in Park City. I'll be interested to see how the car handles in the snow with the low center of gravity and rear wheel drive.

Thanks again.

Anyway, pretty much snows are totally required for living in Park City. I'll be interested to see how the car handles in the snow with the low center of gravity and rear wheel drive.

The Model S does have perfect 50/50 weight distribution and a great traction control system to help with winter driving. Check out this video:

Cold Weather Climate Testing the Model S - YouTube

I've had a P85+ for about 2 months and live at 5200' elevation in Ogden Valley. This will be my first winter with it.

I agree with both BryanW and Denarius. I've never liked sun/moon roofs before, waffled on the pano roof, ultimate went with it, and have really enjoyed it. No rattles/squeeks or heat problems at all during this hot Utah summer (I followed BryanW's suggestion and got my side and rear windows tinted). If the cold weather package would have been available when I ordered my car, I would have gotten it. I hope they offer a retrofit option for existing owners.