Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with a Model Y Performance experience?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am about to take the plunge and trade my Model 3 for a Model Y. I have now test driven all three Model Y variants but as much as I was so keen to get a MY performance I have some nagging doubts.

The MYP was so planted on the road and had knife edge, rapid agility and was extremely fast but the problem was that I test drove a MY Rear wheel drive 30 mins beforehand. This gave me some ying and yang comparisons.The car will be the family wagon and I have had some exotic sports cars in the past so speed and hard suspension is not unusual but often I don’t choose that route nowadays.

I’m interested in experiences of what the latest MYP is like to deal with on a daily basis on tyre noise and harshness?

I've never driven the P Model-Y. I have a bog-standard MY and find it needs (quite a lot!) more concentration than its predecessor M3 (also bog standard) did when accelerating hard. The M3 was like a tight hot hatch to drive, loved it.

I also have MS bog-standard, and previously has an MSP. The MSP was unbelievably "planted". Traffic lights at a roundabout, first exit - so 90degree left - just do full throttle. Even in the wet that was fine. All the MS-non-P I have driven (loaners and current MS) have scrabbled under load. So there is clearly some magic that the developers have been able to do with "Performance" models.

I've heard that the M3P is similarly "planted" to my MSP experience. So maybe the MYP is too. But for me its a lot of body to be able to make fully-sorted.

I am about to take the plunge and trade my Model 3 for a Model Y. I have now test driven all three Model Y variants but as much as I was so keen to get a MY performance I have some nagging doubts.

The MYP was so planted on the road and had knife edge, rapid agility and was extremely fast but the problem was that I test drove a MY Rear wheel drive 30 mins beforehand. This gave me some ying and yang comparisons.The car will be the family wagon and I have had some exotic sports cars in the past so speed and hard suspension is not unusual but often I don’t choose that route nowadays.

I’m interested in experiences of what the latest MYP is like to deal with on a daily basis on tyre noise and harshness?
It's a shame that you appear to be not near me otherwise I could offer you a test drive on an LR with the acceleration boost just so you get a full picture from all the variants. I haven't driven the performance model so cannot comment on that. I rarely use brakes on my car (mainly to keep them clean) hence having big brakes is a bit wasted on me. Nice to know you have a bit of poke at hand in case you need it though :)

Reactions: Sixer
I think I'm like you Sixer though I've tried to slow down a bit as I move to more comfort also. Thought must say a Model S Plaid might tempt me back to the dark side if / when it ever arrives in the the UK. Moved from a M760Li to a Land Rover Discovery just as I wanted to try out an SUV but also wasn't travelling much (Pandemic times) so couldn't justify spending as much on a car. I have to say it's about 80% of the comfort of the M760Li and in D300 form it's quick enough really for UK roads without the risk of getting me into trouble ;)

The M760Li was heavy so had that going against it but in Comfort or Extra Comfort I think it was called it was a super comfortable floaty barge. In Adaptive it would try to give you a mix of that but tighten up for corners and in Sport I'd say it would handle it's body close to the M5 I had before it where it would corner extremely flat but giving up a certain amount of ride comfort to achieve it. The magic is all in air suspension and active anti-roll bars on that one.

Anyway back to Tesla's I got my wife to go with a Model 3 Performance. I'd driven one in the past and felt it a bit firm but Tesla has vastly improved their coil suspension without hugely impacting the sporty feeling. It felt good enough to me. Similar I sat in the back of an early Model Y as a taxi in Netherlands last year and I just wanted to get out the ride was awful. We test-drove a new Model Y LR in UK recently also and the ride is fine, vastly improved. Not sure what Performance is like though on that one. Hopefully the Performance is good enough. None of them will match more expensive cars but for their price, I think Tesla's finally got the ride comfort sorted really well.

Oh and also drove a Model S Performance in the past, agree with the person saying that handled really well. Don't think it had any active anti-roll bars but probably didn't need it because of so much weight low down. Air suspension again being the item that gave you comfort when not hammering it.

So have you ruled the MYLR out? You compare the RWD and P. I would’ve thought the LR was the good compromise? Smaller wheels so less harsh ride, but still quick and with the big battery.

Reactions: roadcred
So have you ruled the MYLR out? You compare the RWD and P. I would’ve thought the LR was the good compromise? Smaller wheels so less harsh ride, but still quick and with the big battery.
I believe the LR has had the suspension softened since its inception here around March last year. I haven't tried the new one but reports are there is a bit more roll when cornering. If I was buying today, this could say me as Im fine with the "sportier" ride and less roll.

I’ve got a Q4 MYLR and the suspension is less harsh than the Q2 demo I tried. But it’s still sporty enough for me.

Tesla’s MY Police demo is a MYLR and clearly has enough performance and handling to satisfy that market.

If I was going to track events, or wanted a road going performance car I’d buy a M3P. But as a fast family wagon the MYLR ticks all my boxes. The added practicality of the Y is more important to me than the Nth degree of handling and performance. MYLR is a sub 5 sec 0-60 car even before acceleration boost. That’s a quick spaniel carrier!

No issues with my MYP so far, had a 2019 M3P before that, personally find it easier to control under hard acceleration as being higher up, it doesn’t *feel* as brutal to me (M3P was .2 of a second quicker to 60), know it’s got the power though based on how quick the speed numbers move on the display 😂

Suspension is fine, it’s obviously a touch firm, but it’s an improvement over the Model 3 it replaced.

Nothing wrong with the rest of the Y range of course, but the MYP looks pretty special on those 21” wheels!

AE8081A7-4250-476B-ABF8-A0FC4CFBDB5D.jpeg

No issues with my MYP so far, had a 2019 M3P before that, personally find it easier to control under hard acceleration as being higher up, it doesn’t *feel* as brutal to me (M3P was .2 of a second quicker to 60), know it’s got the power though based on how quick the speed numbers move on the display 😂

Suspension is fine, it’s obviously a touch firm, but it’s an improvement over the Model 3 it replaced.

Nothing wrong with the rest of the Y range of course, but the MYP looks pretty special on those 21” wheels!

View attachment 896040
A black MYP looks epic.

I ended up in a white LR with 20’s as it suits my needs better. But come summer I’ll be looking at red calliper covers and the rear spoiler to spice up the looks.

Reactions: DaveW
Thanks for the responses. Is all the talk about the 21” wheel/tyres being more susceptible to punctures a fallacy?
Exactly what I want to know having just ordered one. I've researched the TSportline rims and bringing in some 19s from the US, but not cheap. I've been running an M3P on 18s and Cross Climates and it's worked nicely, but quite a bit of hassle to do similar for the MYP. I guess I'll eventually end up doing that for next winter though. Be good to hear how folk and getting on with the 21s.

Not sure why they would be? No more than any other allow with a low profile tyre I’d have thought?

Never had any issues with my 20’s on my M3P - handed that back to the lease co after 24k miles on the original tyres :)