Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with Solar and Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently went through the "Colorado Energy Master" program that CSU runs, and one of the class activities was a visit to Egauge in Boulder, where we got a demo and tour of their facility.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/energymaster/me-about.html

I am definitely going to put an Egauge unit in the new house we are building in Elizabeth. Knowing how much power you are using, on a circuit by circuit basis, in real time, definitely has an effect on your behavior. You can also see your solar production in real time.

We presently have 21.7Kw of panels (96 panels @ 225W), hooked to a Solar Edge system and grid tied. We are adding 48 more panels @ 235W each as soon as the mounts are completed. Theracks are single axis tilt, driven by linear actuators. Too much power, really, and we don't get any credit from the utility for excess -- nor did we get one dime in support for putting these up (Grrrr!). We began capturing power in late December and accrued over 10,000Kwh in the first five months. We're at about 46.24 degrees north latitude.

We are supplying everything we need for a 4200 square foot house and two EVs. Except for two very rarely used propane fireplaces, we are fossil fuel free.

View attachment 49191

Harry,

Would you mind divulging costs? We'd likely have to go ground mount as well as we've run out of south-facing roof space.

I have looked into solar with two companies and currently it is just too expensive for the electricity rates we pay to be financially viable. Last quote from Solar City showed 17 years to break even. What kinds or rates are you guys paying? We are at .09$ base and .17$ base plus. EV rate is .06$.
I was paying 11 cents 24/7. With net metering at that same rate plus 9 cents for every kWh produced I should pay back in about 6 years and over 20 years I figure the ROI is 6.5%. Solar City was by far the highest cost for a purchased system; they want you to lease instead of buy.