Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Living with Solar and Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't have my Tesla yet, but I've had solar installed in prep for a while. I have a 3.7 kW AC unit using 18 SunPower 238 panels and 18 Enphase inverters. I'm on an E-6 solar time of use rate. With the install of my 14-50 outlet/circuit, I also installed an eGauge device, which allows me to measure electrical utilization and generation in real time at the circuit level. So I'll be able to see the electric draw from the car as well as the electricity generated as well. I honestly think everyone should have one of these.

http://www.egauge.net/

Last edited:
We have a 7.53 kWh system installed which is grid tied. There are 32 Suniva panels with dedicated Enphase microinverters on our roof. Coming up on one year with both the system and our Model S and we are almost exactly net zero on power usage. So it seems we sized the system just about perfectly! Could not be happier with how it has worked for us here in Northern CA.

Okay all.... I did it! I put a deposit down!

Now I just have to figure out how large of a circuit I can install for when I lose power and need to charge the car. Remember, the inverters will only produce as much power as is required to power the loads and keep the batteries at the proper levels. I want to go bigger then 110, however, 220 may have too much draw. At this rate I believe a 110V 20A circuit may be more advantageous.

@russman
egauge looks interesting. I have a TED and a Brultech. This looks far better as it doesn't require a server.

Okay all.... I did it! I put a deposit down!

Now I just have to figure out how large of a circuit I can install for when I lose power and need to charge the car. Remember, the inverters will only produce as much power as is required to power the loads and keep the batteries at the proper levels. I want to go bigger then 110, however, 220 may have too much draw. At this rate I believe a 110V 20A circuit may be more advantageous.
Charging with 120V is very slow and also more inefficient since coolant pumps running as part of the charging process take a higher percentage of the total. What works really depends on the length of your commute. A 40 mile recharge takes 12 hours according to the Tesla charging calculator: Tesla Charging | Tesla Motors Note that 120V charging is at 12A since National Electric Code limits continuous duty amps to 80% of the usual circuit design load.

I find that 30 amps x 240V takes care of my needs in a reasonable time frame, but since I'm grid-tied my backup plan means using the old standby ICE Audi if the power ever goes out for a prolonged period.

Last edited:
@tezco

My primary concern, due to the fact that we lose power often, is the maximum load I could throw at the inverters without overloading them. My system is a 7.2kw AC system so I need to leave a little wiggle room for other electronics. I really like coffee even when the power is out. Heat and a shower come in at a very near second!

@tezco

My primary concern, due to the fact that we lose power often, is the maximum load I could throw at the inverters without overloading them. My system is a 7.2kw AC system so I need to leave a little wiggle room for other electronics. I really like coffee even when the power is out. Heat and a shower come in at a very near second!

I assume that you mean that your system can put out a peak 7.2 kW of AC when you are off-grid or grid-down.

Given that, why don't you put in a 14-30 on the backup system. That could pull a maximum of 5.76kW (24A*240V), but you could always dial the car back from there to what you want to draw. During good sun, and when your backup batteries are charged, you could up the car charge rate to take as much as possible and use PV output that normally would go to waste because there was no place to store it.

I have looked into solar with two companies and currently it is just too expensive for the electricity rates we pay to be financially viable. Last quote from Solar City showed 17 years to break even. What kinds or rates are you guys paying? We are at .09$ base and .17$ base plus. EV rate is .06$.

I installed a 13.5 kW system a few years back - and between federal tax credits, PG&E rebates, and monthly savings (which previously ranged from $200-$600/monthly), my system should be completely paid off in less than six years.

My bill for the last twelve months was $17.

Solar roof.jpg

SunPower 14kW system with production and consumption meters. Paid about $55k after incentives. It's a lot more than we need right now and in the near future even with our 3 EVs, but we figured it would be a good hedge against rising gas and electricity prices, plus uncertainties such as jobs (i.e. longer commutes) and kids wanting/needing cars. We should be getting a few hundred dollars back from PG&E each year at the wholesale rates. If only PG&E would allow credits to be used against our natural gas usage at the retail rates...

image.jpg

Last month I had 33 panels installed on my roof and my ROI is looking at less than 6 years. Panel prices have dropped significantly just in the last year and productivity has increased. If rates stay the same for the next 6 years (yeah, right!!!) my break-even will be 5 years 8 months. My first electric bill came this week and it was -$23.49 at $0.099 per kWh.

....I also installed an eGauge device, which allows me to measure electrical utilization and generation in real time at the circuit level. So I'll be able to see the electric draw from the car as well as the electricity generated as well. I honestly think everyone should have one of these.

http://www.egauge.net/

Egauge was started by and is still owned by a buddy of mine who is a Model S owner himself and powers his house and car from solar panels! I also have an egauge monitor to go with my 6.54 kW Sunpower PV system. It is a very good monitoring system and I agree with your recommendation completely. I was able to reduce my total electricity consumption by more than 20% after I got egauge monitor simply from the detailed information it gave me on how I was using electricity.

We presently have 21.7Kw of panels (96 panels @ 225W), hooked to a Solar Edge system and grid tied. We are adding 48 more panels @ 235W each as soon as the mounts are completed. Theracks are single axis tilt, driven by linear actuators. Too much power, really, and we don't get any credit from the utility for excess -- nor did we get one dime in support for putting these up (Grrrr!). We began capturing power in late December and accrued over 10,000Kwh in the first five months. We're at about 46.24 degrees north latitude.

We are supplying everything we need for a 4200 square foot house and two EVs. Except for two very rarely used propane fireplaces, we are fossil fuel free.

Panels-w-house.JPG

• Love
Reactions: Ulmo