Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lloyd's mats have arrived: photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah, I guess I never thought of steam cleaning. Maybe I will consider tan after all. Would have to see in a car to decide and also see what tesla offers. Mini has some nice tan and black stripes mats that we have.
MIN_urban_mats_md.jpg

The interior carpet, regardless of leather color is black. If you order a tan leather, you will receive black floor mats from Tesla. Nothing wrong with getting matching leather/floor mats even though the carpet is black. It is surprising Tesla is not offering rear seat floor mats as the kids (my kids at least) will be making a mess back there.

My understanding was that the cars are shipping with temporary front mats, but that full front and back mats are coming.

Nothing wrong with getting matching leather/floor mats even though the carpet is black.

I was just curious.

I have contacted a few embroidery places in Chicago to see if they have the capacity to do this. None of them specifically advertise automobile mats, but they accept digital artwork and appear to embroider just about anything that a needle can penetrate. These Lloyd mats look thick, so we'll see.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, I guess I never thought of steam cleaning. Maybe I will consider tan after all. Would have to see in a car to decide and also see what tesla offers. Mini has some nice tan and black stripes mats that we have.

Those are nice. They seem like they would repel water easily as well.

If you do get an answer, please let us know!
I called them today to see if I could stop by the factory. They said all of the sales guys are at the SEMA show in Vegas until next Monday. I'll try to stop by next week.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought Tesla was going to offer new mats...
Yes they are... but I'm sure at a much higher price than Lloyds will offer.

I have contacted a few embroidery places in Chicago to see if they have the capacity to do this. None of them specifically advertise automobile mats, but they accept digital artwork and appear to embroider just about anything that a needle can penetrate. These Lloyd mats look thick, so we'll see.
The Lloyd's mats, like any good car mat, have a sturdy plastic backing. Any embroidering would have to be done before the carpet is attached to the backing, during the production process.

Ok so it sounds like maybe the optional mats tesla is going to provide are rubber only. Maybe Lloyd's are the best bet.
Tesla Motors

"A: As of right now from where I sit, the only floor mat option I know we are working on is an all weather option, which would be separate purchase. I unfortunately though have no ETA for this offering from us.

This may be related to the reports about more durable floor mats. I cannot confirm whether this will include mats for the frunk or rear cargo area. As of right now, all Model S are shipped with floor mats for the front driver and passenger foot wells."

I went to the Lloyd Mats factory today and looked at all of the options with Sammy the sales manager. We came to the conclusion that all of the black mats are slightly off color from the Tesla black interior. This is only noticeable in very bright direct sunlight. The best choice seems to be the "Ultimats" which is a 32oz mat. The "Velourtex" is more inline with the freebie mats that Tesla is giving but a little thicker. They have a screw in plastic anchor which you can screw into the existing carpet to hold the mats in place. I'm not sure what Tesla is actually going to come up with for an anchor system. Here are some picture of the samples they let me keep. As of now they are not allowed to embroider either the Tesla logo or the word "Tesla" since they don't have a contract for the licensing rights. Let me know if you have any questions.
2012-11-06 17.07.30.jpg
2012-11-06 16.54.56.jpg
2012-11-06 16.53.40.jpg
2012-11-06 16.53.47.jpg
2012-11-06 16.53.57.jpg

Just out of curiosity, how would that death dagger screw be applied to the floor of the car? What material is directly below the Model S fabric lining the floor? Padding? Aluminum? How far below the fabric is the actual battery?
The "death dagger" is just plastic and would screw into the existing carpet. I'm just not sure how well it would stay in under the stress of the moving floor mat. They said they could not do the Velcro like Tesla did (and the Tesla Velcro is a bit useless anyway).

I would recommend ordering Lloyd's mats from AutoAnything | Auto Accessories Car Covers. They offer a 15% discount for first time customers and free shipping. Just received my rear mat and it's perfect. Now I need a car for it.

I got a set of Lloyd's Luxe mats for my S from AutoAnything: recommended. In addition to the first-time-customer deal mentioned above, they're running an equivalent CyberMonday deal, today only: use code ENV1226.

BTW, I went with the recommendations on the forum here and got the Ebony color; it's just a shade lighter than the OEM carpet in the S and looks fine. I never had a chance to compare it with Lloyd's Black color.