Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Llumar IRX Heat Rejection issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday I got Llumar IRX tint on sides and rear. 15% rear and 40% driver and passenger.

Today was my first day parking outside, and my interior is 130 degrees at 80F. I have a sunshade on front windshield and I hear the roof has pretty good heat rejection to start. I’ll probably add a cover soon.

Now, is this normal? Would my car be higher without IRX? I thought it was supposed to be cooler.

Now, is this normal?

Yes.

It just helps with the sun beaming down on you, but the inside of all cars is hot, especially when parked. Every single other car you have had, has been this hot or hotter. The only difference is, you likely didnt have an app to show you how hot it is inside the car.

Thats why there are all those warnings to not leave babies and pets inside cars "even for a few minutes while I run into the store".

Yes.

It just helps with the sun beaming down on you, but the inside of all cars is hot, especially when parked. Every single other car you have had, has been this hot or hotter. The only difference is, you likely didnt have an app to show you how hot it is inside the car.

Thats why there are all those warnings to not leave babies and pets inside cars "even for a few minutes while I run into the store".
This is true, now that I have a monitor, it’s more noticeable. And that makes sense on beaming down vs the car being parked.

Yesterday I got Llumar IRX tint on sides and rear. 15% rear and 40% driver and passenger.

Today was my first day parking outside, and my interior is 130 degrees at 80F. I have a sunshade on front windshield and I hear the roof has pretty good heat rejection to start. I’ll probably add a cover soon.

Now, is this normal? Would my car be higher without IRX? I thought it was supposed to be cooler.
The roof does not have good heat rejection from factory. The factory tint on the top mostly is to block light, it's not really good for heat rejection. Getting a cover for the roof would help.

As for tint in general for parking in the sun, it does help, but only for relatively short periods of time. Basically it slows the transfer of heat. However, with the car parked long enough in the sun, it doesn't really matter what sort of tint you apply, the temps will still reach well over 100 degrees. Maybe it'll be cooler by a few degrees if you do a controlled test (as the equilibrium point might change a bit), but it's still not going to mean it won't be dangerously hot (if someone was in the car).

Parking in the shade would reduce temperatures drastically more than any tint.

The roof does not have good heat rejection from factory. The factory tint on the top mostly is to block light, it's not really good for heat rejection. Getting a cover for the roof would help.

As for tint in general for parking in the sun, it does help, but only for relatively short periods of time. Basically it slows the transfer of heat. However, with the car parked long enough in the sun, it doesn't really matter what sort of tint you apply, the temps will still reach well over 100 degrees. Maybe it'll be cooler by a few degrees if you do a controlled test (as the equilibrium point might change a bit), but it's still not going to mean it won't be dangerously hot (if someone was in the car).

Parking in the shade would reduce temperatures drastically more than any tint.
I saw a video on YouTube that measured heat rejection with a device on the roof and it was significant. But I’ve also read people have hot heads when they drive. So a lot of different data.

Got it. Thank you! Obviously got to involved in the marketing on “heat rejection.”
Heat rejection definitely works and one of the best purchases I made for my car. Before tints I always kept AC under 70F because it would never reach anyway. After tints it would get too cold after 30 mins and I'd have to raise the temp.

Reactions: dmoon86