Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Llumar Window Tinting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I finally just put in my order for my new Model 3 last week (white SR+) and got a text on Friday about my delivery window being the last week of the month!

That being said - I've been reading up on a few modifications I'm considering, including PPF and window tinting. The local shop (Kansas City) that has the most positive reviews I could find uses Llumar tinting film. I'm considering either the Llumar CTX film, the Pinnacle film or the Stratos film. Since my car is pearl white, I think it will look best to have a film that has minimal tint to it. Darkest tint allowed in Kansas is technically 35%, so I'm considering that direction. Maybe less on the rear window since it's already tinted? And then a clear Llumar on the front windshield.

What's everyone's experience with Llumar window tints? CTX is quite a bit cheaper but there may be strong arguments to jump up to one of the two FormulaOne series options. If anyone has any pictures, especially in a 35% tint for any of those options - that'd be really helpful, too!

KC Elite Car Care is the place I've been talking to, for what it's worth.
KC Elite Car Care – Premier Car Care Service

Reactions: Joesage
I have Pearl White w/ white interior and formula one pinnacle 25% on sides and 50% on front windshield (I left the rear window alone)

If your interior is also white, 35% will probably look lighter than other cars with darker interiors and the same tint, but it sounds like that’s the route your wanting to go. If I had a black interior I would have probably gone with 35%, but the white interior is just really bright when the sun is out.

Wish I had pics for you but all I have is one in a garage and it makes things looks a lot darker than they actually are outside.

Reactions: Dre78
For my Model 3 Performance (black interior), I went with the Llumar Pinnacle 30% all around except windshield. I’m very happy with it, as I didn’t want something too dark. If you get your back done, find a shop that will do it in one piece.

Do you guys think tinting the sunroof and back windshield are worth it? I think those already have tint, right? I don’t want them to end up too dark when you’re looking out from the interior. One of the things I really like about the 3 is how open it feels with all that glass.

@BAven8068 - my interior is black, fwiw. Thanks for the feedback.

Do you guys think tinting the sunroof and back windshield are worth it? I think those already have tint, right? I don’t want them to end up too dark when you’re looking out from the interior. One of the things I really like about the 3 is how open it feels with all that glass.

I left my rear window untinted because if done in one piece I didn’t want the already darkened area above the rear passengers even darker. The area that’s untinted in the back is pretty small and doesn’t seem to let much light into the passenger area. It also helps with visiblity out of the back at night.

I think stratos would be good 35% side and rear windows. Go photo-sync if you want even more heat rejection for not allot more money. Since stratos was so expensive (where I was going to have it installed), I figured why not spend a little more for significantly more heat rejection, but if your getting a good price on stratos and they can do the back in one piece, then go for it.

I love having the back glass tinted at night due to all the trucks and cars with illegal headlights, or LED/HID headlights that are not positioned properly, I was getting blinded often at night before tinting, usually by trucks with retrofits, or cars that had their lights pointed forward/up instead of down at the road. Adding tint to the rear helps blend in the un-tinted section (where the headlights pour through) with the top portion. However tinting the rear window does cause light refraction due to the defrost lines.

I didn't bother with the sunroof, but you can have it tinted if you want it to match perfectly with the rear glass, from the outside you can't really tell.

Just remember, you have factory darkness + 35% you may technically be exceeding the legal limit, but it would likely be hard to notice.

I just got my Pear White done in Pinnacle 35% on sides and one piece on the back. I was more worried about heat rejection vs the limo tint look after seeing how that car holds heat from the sun even on cold days. 50% front/35% back is legal in VA but I wanted a uniform look and 50 wouldn't be worth the cost. After 2 weeks and some night time driving the back at 35% isn't too dark for me, which was a concern.

I'll try to get a pic up here this week for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: VQTRVA
IMG_20190302_094536226_HDR.jpg
Before and after. Both on cloudy days
IMG_20190302_132238141_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190302_132219924_HDR.jpg

I opted to not get the roof above the front seats tinted as it was already much darker than the rear. My tint shop said I could come back and get it done at the same price that they would do it with the others so I'll wait til summer hits and see how it goes

• Helpful
Reactions: VQTRVA
Congratulations! Sounds like it'll be a long several weeks until you start driving.

We went Stratos since we plan to keep the car through its life (previous car is 14-year-old G35).

35% Stratos is quite light. I'm tempted to say we should have went with 15% Stratos, especially because we have white interior.

Before/After Tint: 35% Stratos windows; 70% windshield

I am going to tint my car using Stratos too. But I am still debating to use 35% or 40%. Did you tint the rear huge back windows? I am towards not tinting the sunroof now..

35% on back windshield because they used one huge piece.

Nothing on roof. We bought and use the sunshade on the roof when it's really bright and sunny.

Thanks! I end-up use 35% as well including the sunroof. I really like to block as much as IR and UV. If I could choose again, I would use lighter tint for sunroof as I want to see more clear. But when LA summer is arrived, I guess I won't feel regret to have 35%.

Reactions: Dre78
I thought I might throw a window tinter's perspective into this. LLumar makes excellent window films. They're arguably the world's leading manufacturer, in fact. As far as CTX vs. Pinnacle vs. Stratos, CTX and Pinnacle are very comparable performance wise, but Pinnacle (and Statos) come with a lifetime transferable warranty meaning the warranty is good for the life of the car, not just as long as you own it.

Stratos is obviously a higher performance film for more money. It's enough of a difference over Pinnacle that you will definitely notice, even if it might not look like it on paper.

Finally, concerning Photosync, that too is a great film, and I have tinted many a Tesla with it. But it's performance is nowhere near as good as Prestige claims. They say it will reject up to 80% total solar energy, which is basically impossible. It may be *slightly* better performing than something like LLumar Stratos or 3M Crystalline, but not enough to justify paying significantly more for it.

Many of my customers opt for 35% on all the side windows and back window. It's a nice, clean look, and I really like how the back window looks from the outside with that shade. (It's how I would tint my own Model 3 if I had one.) The picture is a Model 3 with the entire back window done in Pinnacle 35 on a sunny day from the inside.
IMG_20180706_133717640.jpg

Had mine done almost 2 weeks ago.
Pinnacle 5 in the rear window and back seats. Rear window stops at the last defroster line. 35 on the front doors and clear on the windshield.
On the 14th, I drove to Phoenix during a heat warning and my car did great in 122° but you could feel the heat radiating off of all the windows. Drove back on the 28th during another heat warning and we could all feel a drastic difference. Here's a few pics, before and after... :cool:
IMG_20190801_084317843_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190801_084502415_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190820_111536788.jpg
IMG_20190820_111559284_HDR.jpg
Oh yeah, there's this... Just do it!:D
IMG_20190820_111559284_HDR.jpg

I have two of of my vehicles (P3D and 2008 TL type S) that have pinnacle series 30. I was shooting for the same look that’s on my TL which is what I had first but it came out a little lighter then expected and it’s due to the glass roof. I played it safe when I made the decision but going back i probably would have picked pinnacle series 25 if that was a choice to offset the glass roof to make it closer look to pinnacle 30 with a solid roof. Both of my cars have black interiors.