TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Lo-Drag: Cd < 0.2

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by malcolm, Nov 18, 2015.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

#1 malcolm, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Sources: Tesla Model 3 will have extreme aerodynamic design details | Electrek

Other options, mentioned on Teslas cheapest car could be its weirdest-looking - SlashGear

More aerodynamic wheels (narrower?)
    Body panels that fit over the rear wheels (could they be transparent without being a pain to keep clean?)
    A single fared-in wiper blade
    Changes to the underside to improve airflow/use as heatsink for the cooling system
    And persuading the authorities to change the rules regarding wing mirrors - I can't see this one happening in the short-term.

I'm wondering if the base car will be normal-looking (with a Cd similar to the S), but some customers can choose some sort of "Slipstream Pack" or "Range pack" which reduces the Cd below 0.2 but does involve visual changes which others might consider too weird for them.

Similar idea to the bodykit modifications for Roadster 3.0.

Essentially, "Lo-drag" becomes just another option like "Subzero weather", "Rear facing seats" or "Ludicrous". Like the rear facing seats, Lo-drag might not be available after-purchase since it could involve structural changes.

2. Xenius

Xenius Member

It'll be pretty amazing if they can get below, or even AT .20. That said I'm hoping the car isn't ugly, but honestly if that's the worst thing about it then so be it!

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Elon Musk previously said that they were unsure of unconventional v conventional, but were leaning to unconventional which would be in a "useful" way and "not just a weirdmobile".

4. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Under 2 would be really difficult, and really amazing if they can do it. I agree with the idea of a special "aero" package that might add things like wheel covers, that way the general public who might be turned off by such wouldn't have to get them. I'm all about the aero so I'd probably go for it since I'm not expecting a weirdmobile. Of course I also like the look of the VW XL1.

5. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

#5 WarpedOne, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Of course. Expect 225 or even 205.

There are other options.
    Smaller tire - body gaps, flush wheel design (no big rim holes).

Nope.
    Inside wheel well enclosure? Yes.

This change is overrated.

One word: kamm tail.

Edit: remove misquoted text that appeared as mine.

6. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

7. tga

tga Active Member

I don't think this could meet all your cooling needs - sometimes you need cooling without airflow (charging/supercharging, A/C in stop and go traffic). Otherwise the Model S could be built without fans and just rely on ram air through the radiators.

Please, no weirdmobiles - in Franz we trust!

8. nikolai

nikolai Member

I think thinks like body panels over the rear wheels and a conical rear end are very unlikely. I have a colleague that works at Tesla and while he can't tell me anything specific, he has told me that the Model 3 looks really nice and he thinks a lot of people are going to like it. I think that immediately excludes some of the suggested features that would be off-putting to many.

9. electracity

electracity Active Member

I think it would be safer for Tesla to raise price $5-7K than build a non-traditional car.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

I think for the Model 3 it would be a financial disaster for Tesla to raise the base price from $35k to $40k in order to be totally conventional. I think that the difference in sales between "reasonably equipped" $40k and $45k would very large.

11. electracity

Every purpose built EV produced to date was designed and produced by people thinking it was different but attractive. Including the Leaf.

12. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I think the vehicle that will represent the future of transportation should be expected to have some unconventional features. As long as it looks good and hits all the performance stats expected it's going to sell like crazy. I don't think most people looking to buy a cutting edge electric vehicle really want it to look "conventional". The grill-less front of the X is likely a precursor to what is coming.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Lo-Drag: Cd &lt; 0.2

Except the S and X.
    And the i3.

14. tga

tga Active Member

Except that the 3 isn't targeted solely at people "looking to buy a cutting edge electric vehicle", but at converting the general public from ICE's. Too much departure from the conventional will hurt that mission.

15. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Sure, and I don't expect a "weirdmobile", but I do expect Tesla to push the edge at least somewhat, and they will need to if they are targeting sub 2.0 cd.

16. RobStark

RobStark Active Member

Tesla will unveil the concept/prototype in March 2016.

They can get feedback. If vast majority hate it they can change it.

If most like but many hate it then they can keep it.

In this case, the minority will grow to like while the majority creates enough demand to keep Fremont and Reno running at max capacity.

17. electracity

Leaked Image:

1214-Nissan-Leaf.jpg

18. Zextraterrestrial

looks more like a 'Leafed' image

19. electracity

I have to admit I like pickup Leaf. I even like the Leaf. But it isn't the 3 in S3XY.

20. BriansTesla

BriansTesla Old school meets new tech

Ford Prodigy was supposed to have a drag coefficient of .20. Not great looking but not that bad.

20090424ford-prodigy614am.jpg

Prodigy.jpg