Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lo-Drag: Cd < 0.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every purpose built EV produced to date was designed and produced by people thinking it was different but attractive. Including the Leaf.

Leaf: distinctive, divisive (bug-eyed)
i3: distinctive, divisive (boxy, two-tone)

Volt: conventional, distinctive, not divisive
S: conventional, not distinctive, not divisive

The Leaf and i3 divisiveness is deliberate: they have to worry about cannibalizing ICEV sales. Tesla doesn't. So they can design something aerodynamic, that while distinctive and different from the norm won't be ugly. Teardrops are not ugly.

The Leaf and i3 divisiveness is deliberate: they have to worry about cannibalizing ICEV sales. Tesla doesn't. So they can design something aerodynamic, that while distinctive and different from the norm won't be ugly. Teardrops are not ugly.

So the Bolt is designed to not sell?
It's about interior room on a light weight short wheelbase. Well, the i3 anyways. The Leaf is probably about the lack of effective drug testing in the design department.

Last edited:
VW XL1 cd:0.186
volkswagen-xl1-gull-wing-doors.jpg

There is such strong incentive for Tesla to hit record low drag numbers. If Tesla reduced the CdA to 0.44 meters-squared (the S is about 0.58 m2) by the mentioned Cd of .2 with a 10 percent reduction in A by narrowing the 3 and eliminating sideview mirrors, they could cut power requirements to maintain 75 mph on level ground to about 14 kW of delivered power. Such a car could easily go more than 225 miles at 75 mph with a sub-60 kWh battery pack, even accounting for coulomb losses and drive train losses. They could probably deliver a M3 that hit an EPA range rating of 240 miles with a pack around 50 kWh. It suggests the pack sizes might end up at 50 kWh base and 65 kWh optional, the bigger giving almost 300 miles of EPA range.

So the Bolt is designed to not sell?
It's about interior room on a light weight short wheelbase. Well, the i3 anyways. The Leaf is probably about the lack of effective drug testing in the design department.

And did the i3 have to look like it does on the _outside_?

The Bolt is designed just to sell enough. GM is only going to make 30k of them per year. It's primarily an LG Automotive development vehicle with a GM designed motor, assembled by GM.

See that picture posted of the XL1. That's not even really pushing the boundaries. But the XL1 is a hybrid.

"no weirdmobiles"

Model 3 has been vacillating between "radical" and "conventional" even as recently as the Detroit auto show earlier this year. The design direction is most likely finished now to be able to start construction of the prototype in time for the March unveiling I certainly doubt out of the gate that Model 3 will be radical. I'm pretty confident the Model X front end will be there, the rest... I expect to see something that fits in the same family as the Model S to begin with.

Screen Shot 2015-11-18 at 3.35.00 PM.png

Like this?

Sources: Tesla Model 3 will have extreme aerodynamic design details | Electrek

Other options, mentioned on Teslas cheapest car could be its weirdest-looking - SlashGear

More aerodynamic wheels (narrower?)
Body panels that fit over the rear wheels (could they be transparent without being a pain to keep clean?)
A single fared-in wiper blade
Changes to the underside to improve airflow/use as heatsink for the cooling system
And persuading the authorities to change the rules regarding wing mirrors - I can't see this one happening in the short-term.

I'm wondering if the base car will be normal-looking (with a Cd similar to the S), but some customers can choose some sort of "Slipstream Pack" or "Range pack" which reduces the Cd below 0.2 but does involve visual changes which others might consider too weird for them.

Similar idea to the bodykit modifications for Roadster 3.0.

Essentially, "Lo-drag" becomes just another option like "Subzero weather", "Rear facing seats" or "Ludicrous". Like the rear facing seats, Lo-drag might not be available after-purchase since it could involve structural changes.

I think for the Model 3 it would be a financial disaster for Tesla to raise the base price from $35k to $40k in order to be totally conventional. I think that the difference in sales between "reasonably equipped" $40k and $45k would very large.

A financial disaster very doubtful. Some said the same thing when Tesla discontinued the initial low end Model S that started at $57,999. As long as the Model 3 is roughly half the cost of the Model S it will sell extremely well.

Getting rid of the side mirrors kills two birds with one stone. It would reduce the Cd and the CdA. I hope they are designing for a Cd of 0.20 with mirrors and then it will be a bonus if they can delete the mirrors to get down to 0.19 or so.

I can't imagine Tesla making an ugly vehicle

Model X is the "least" attractive vehicle in their line up but only because its a CUV/SUV, taller shapes are never attractive because of all the excess body.

So take the Model X design, lower it at least 5 inch.
The trunk should follow the bold line all the way down like a Bugatti Veyron and put some wheel covers on from a Prius.

aaaanddd... voila ... Tesla model 3 :biggrin: