Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Lo-Drag: Cd < 0.2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think we have the issue of a paradigm shift - EVs benefit far more from better aero than ICE cars as the extra weight of the batteries starts a knock-on effect whereas we have been used to just popping into the fuel station and adding 300+ miles quickly.

So ultimately EVs need to have better aero and revised architecture to get this and to benefit from having batteries and a small electric motor with reduced cooling requirements.

So the front of EVs can change to reflect the new requirements - ditto the overall architecture. This will alter the shape and style of 'ultimate EVs' but we will eventually adapt to the visual onslaught!

Clearly there is a fine line at the moment between exciting and alienating buyers - although I suspect that the public may be more ready for a 'strange change' that we give them credit for..... Especially the young brought up with a different techno viewpoint? 'Ugly' is very subjective..

Can Tesla afford to make a quantum leap and see how the public reacts? Trailblazer or 'conventional' revolutionary?

Maybe there is a case to made for variety of alternatives to be offered to slowly introduce the 'look' - wheel covers; shrouded wheels; alternative nose; revised rear end. The middle cab bit is less affected and rather driven by accommodation/practicality.

Then buyers chose between conventional looks (hopefully stylish and attractive by current standards) and more radical.

Soon we will all be radical. Don't say we won't change! Look at how early cars were made to look like horse-drawn carriages to avoid the 'shock of the new'....

That looks a bit daft now!

I think it's fine to expect Tesla to meet its stated goals but I think it is a mistake to expect too much for the base model.

What happens next is this.

I won't be happy with the Model 3 unless it has ______________________________.

a 55kwh battery
the ability to do everything my present car does
folding seats
10,000 towing capacity
762hp
on and on and on

"Drive underwater and be a submarine"

subcar.jpg

Covered wheels, no side mirror, kamm back... The pieces are coming together, right?

Also, this car literally lives in the design studio: (upper right corner, not the circled car)

60_min.jpg

So ultimately EVs need to have better aero and revised architecture to get this and to benefit from having batteries and a small electric motor with reduced cooling requirements.

So the front of EVs can change to reflect the new requirements - ditto the overall architecture. This will alter the shape and style of 'ultimate EVs' but we will eventually adapt to the visual onslaught!

Clearly there is a fine line at the moment between exciting and alienating buyers - although I suspect that the public may be more ready for a 'strange change' that we give them credit for..... Especially the young brought up with a different techno viewpoint? 'Ugly' is very subjective..

Why assume that efficient must equal ugly? This what everyone else does when they build an "eco" car, like the Prius, or the Murai, or the Leaf. They set the bar of expectations to "So ugly even it's mother couldn't like it" and go from there.

Take wheels for example, there's been about 0 effort into making aerodynamic wheels. The discontinued aero wheels were extremely ugly, but you could also tell they weren't designed with aero in mind. The highest speed part of the wheel was missing an aerodynamic treatment, and there were no aerodynamic shapes in at all, it only just covered the inner spokes.

I think we'll see the Kamm back on the Model 3, which has been mentioned here (thanks for the very informative discussion, btw!). Thereby, the Model 3 might have a similar shape to the Mercedes IAA concept (2015) [drag coefficient 0.19, when in aero-mode) :

driving:

Is that a weird mobile to you? To me not - I like it very much.

Last edited by a moderator:
... whereas we have been used to just popping into the fuel station and adding 300+ miles quickly.

I've gotten used to just pulling the car out of the garage every morning and it's fully charged, FREE. Hmmmm. Never could do that with my old gas cars.

People seem to forget that some of those old "conveniences" weren't very convenient. Nearly 500 deaths per year from carbon monoxide, too. And we aren't even going to start on what happens when you go "popping" into a fuel station and it catches fire, or the nearly-every-ninety-second occurrence of cars catching fire on their own.

I can see some benefits to never going to those places to add 300+ miles quickly. Only time I want to add miles while driving is on a trip, and 30 minutes time out while I refresh is time well spent. The world needs to change focus, methinks.

I've gotten used to just pulling the car out of the garage every morning and it's fully charged, FREE. Hmmmm. Never could do that with my old gas cars.

People seem to forget that some of those old "conveniences" weren't very convenient. Nearly 500 deaths per year from carbon monoxide, too. And we aren't even going to start on what happens when you go "popping" into a fuel station and it catches fire, or the nearly-every-ninety-second occurrence of cars catching fire on their own.

I can see some benefits to never going to those places to add 300+ miles quickly. Only time I want to add miles while driving is on a trip, and 30 minutes time out while I refresh is time well spent. The world needs to change focus, methinks.

One thing I am used to right now is traveling from home in NC to just past Orlando FL and only stopping once to refuel between Savannah GA and Jacksonville FL (~400 miles). When we get our S we'll have to rethink how we travel. If we had superchargers at rest areas it might be a bit more convenient. We won't be able to get a 90D for maximum range, so stopping every 200 miles or less for 30-45 minutes to get a partial charge in our 70D will make our trips longer for sure. I think 400 miles per charge (and 30 minutes max to charge completely, a lunch break) would be the sweet spot for regular people to accept an EV and not even think about an ICE car having any advantage. I'm more than ready to switch to a Tesla, but that little difference will take some getting used to. The rest of the year though, I'll never even note that change.

One thing I am used to right now is traveling from home in NC to just past Orlando FL and only stopping once to refuel between Savannah GA and Jacksonville FL (~400 miles). When we get our S we'll have to rethink how we travel. If we had superchargers at rest areas it might be a bit more convenient. We won't be able to get a 90D for maximum range, so stopping every 200 miles or less for 30-45 minutes to get a partial charge in our 70D will make our trips longer for sure. I think 400 miles per charge (and 30 minutes max to charge completely, a lunch break) would be the sweet spot for regular people to accept an EV and not even think about an ICE car having any advantage. I'm more than ready to switch to a Tesla, but that little difference will take some getting used to. The rest of the year though, I'll never even note that change.

For me, the sweet spot is around 500km (let's say 320 miles, even a bit less but that would leave enough spare). But in general, I agree with you that 400 miles per charge would be enough for the masses to fully adopt EVs. The charge time can be a bit more forgiving, in my opinion, say 45-50 minutes instead of 30. I have the feeling that most are really slow eaters and I always need to wait for other people to finish their meals ;-)

Tesla press conference: 6.2, Autonomous Driving, Musk QA, more - YouTube

Straight from the horse's mouth:

16 minutes in

"I do think that 200 miles is kind of a minimum threshold for an electric car, but it does need to be a true 200 miles. You know, it can't bee 200 miles if you are traveling at 35 mph on level ground with the air conditioning off, you know, in warm weather. It's got to be 200 miles that you can count on. So, I think that's an important factor, and that's kind of a passing grade. Anything below that is probably not a passing grade. Ideally, people are looking for a bit more than that, at least twenty to thirty percent more than that. So, that's why we tend to favor a range above 250 miles, and closer to 300 miles, as what people really find convenient."

The more I think about the plan for the Model 3 having a Cd less than 0.2, the more nervous I get.

I just don't believe that it's possible to combine a Cd of ~0.195 with a very good compact family car. If you look at the post by Newb, it's obvious that they've completely sacrifized rear head room. And there's hardly any luggage space.

To get a good Cd, a car pretty much has to be long and low, and when you reduce the length from 5 meters on the Model S, to maybe 4.5 meters, and also reduce the height, there's barely any volume left! The Model S is already one of the lowest cars out there.

I *really* hope the Model 3 can also come as a station wagon or crossover at launch, with a Cd more in the area of 0.25, so that the families that need to be able to occasionally carry 3-5 adults and lots of luggage also have an option. It would be fine to sell the less aerodynamic version with the largest battery only.

The more I think about the plan for the Model 3 having a Cd less than 0.2, the more nervous I get.

I just don't believe that it's possible to combine a Cd of ~0.195 with a very good compact family car. If you look at the post by Newb, it's obvious that they've completely sacrifized rear head room. And there's hardly any luggage space.

To get a good Cd, a car pretty much has to be long and low, and when you reduce the length from 5 meters on the Model S, to maybe 4.5 meters, and also reduce the height, there's barely any volume left! The Model S is already one of the lowest cars out there.

I *really* hope the Model 3 can also come as a station wagon or crossover at launch, with a Cd more in the area of 0.25, so that the families that need to be able to occasionally carry 3-5 adults and lots of luggage also have an option. It would be fine to sell the less aerodynamic version with the largest battery only.

Jumping to lots of conclusions there. I believe that the Model 3 will seat five adults and have more luggage space than a BMW 3 Series with both the trunk and the frunk. Models S and X have WAY more storage space than any of the competitors do. Have no fear Grasshopper Franz and Elon will come through.

I like the Mercedes concept. Model 3 won't need so much room under the hood, so I suspect it will have a more "sloping" nose a la 1992 GM Concept Car. Doubt the Mercedes' active rear extension would make it to production though.
mercedesiaaconcept3.jpg
1992-GM-Ultralite1t.jpg

... so I suspect it will have a more "sloping" nose a la 1992 GM Concept Car.

I just love that one! The UltraLight! Yes, it's a weird-mobile, but a weird-mobile I easily could see my self driving around in - if it only was an BEV. I was stunned when I first found out that it was fuelled by gasoline! It just beg to be electrified...

... I even watched "Demolition Man" just to see this car in action ;)

I'm not sure a more sloped hood would be possible, given today's stricter pedestrian safety standards.
I don't think that's a big problem. You just install an airbag under the hood.

- - - Updated - - -

Jumping to lots of conclusions there. I believe that the Model 3 will seat five adults and have more luggage space than a BMW 3 Series with both the trunk and the frunk. Models S and X have WAY more storage space than any of the competitors do. Have no fear Grasshopper Franz and Elon will come through.
I really hope so. But aerodynamics are aerodynamics. I am worried a Cd less than 0.2 will lead to unacceptable compromises.

Last edited by a moderator: