Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load clunk when the car brakes on adaptive cruise control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Tesla S 100D. I have 13,500 care free miles. I’ve have noticed however that when I set it for the adaptive cruise control, and and it goes to brake, it occasionally will make a clunking sound on the driver side. Almost sounds and feels like the drivers front brake side.

It never happens when I’m just braking without the ACC being active. Has anyone experienced this?

TIA

Alex

I believe when the adaptive cruise control has to brake more rapidly than can be done by regen, it actually moves the brake pedal. I read there was some DOT regulation that prevents the brakes from being activated without the pedal moving. When the car can speed up, the foot brake pedal is released abruptly, just as if you had quickly taken your foot off the pedal. You are hearing the clunk of the pedal returning to its driving position.

Reactions: ElectricHoo
You are hearing the clunk of the pedal returning to its driving position.
That.
Nothing to worry about. It is just the autopilot/acc modulation the brake and the noise generates when the paddle is released and bounce back to the original position hitting the stop. You will get the same noise if you manually press the brake and then slip your foot off the brake to the side and allow the paddle to bounce back.

Reactions: ElectricHoo
W
I have a 2018 Tesla S 100D. I have 13,500 care free miles. I’ve have noticed however that when I set it for the adaptive cruise control, and and it goes to brake, it occasionally will make a clunking sound on the driver side. Almost sounds and feels like the drivers front brake side.

It never happens when I’m just braking without the ACC being active. Has anyone experienced this?

TIA

Alex
we have had this problem for over a year. Nothing to worry about? In a $100,000. Dollar automobile? And yes the brake pedal does move, the noise comes from the right lower corner under the dash, that’s where the control valve lives for the auto brake lives. Not like many on this forum I know the perfect car has not been built bit TESLA to damn close to it.
Just sayin