Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load fan at end of charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
During the last few minutes of an 80 percent charge, I heard very load noise, like a fan, coming from the front of my 2016 model S. We just purchased this car privately and this was the first time charging at home. Is this normal???

It’s difficult to say if it’s normal or not for your car. It definitely can happen to “some" cars. I charge off a HPWC in my garage at 24 amps. I’ve not charged more than 50% since the pandemic started. One reason, the fans would run for hours … definitely over 70%, and occasionally would run even over 50%. I’ve accepted it as a “normal” behavior for my particular car.

Level 2 charging at home generating enough heat to require the fans to go into “load” mode is not normal in my observation/experience.
A software update introduced a constant coolant pump above 78% under certain outside temp conditions, I believe the coolant pumps run regardless of battery temp under these circumstances.