Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load Meter Error???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been having an issue lately of when the batteries are at 100% and the PVs are putting out a high kW, (6.5-7), I get a "load meter" error on my home indication and the display says the house is at a negative kW (-1.2kW), and the solar is going to the grid. I have to shut the whole system down for a few minutes in order to get it reset.

Attachments​

• IMG_20220218_1431485.jpg
    IMG_20220218_1431485.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20220218_1431590.jpg
    IMG_20220218_1431590.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 6

Yep, it's configured wrong. The Home quantity is calculated from Grid and Solar measurements and should always be positive. Have Tesla Support look at it remotely or have Sunrun send someone out to fix it.
Sunrun is saying that one of the Powerwalls is defective. I don't think so. The past 4 days when the batteries get fully charged, the power from the panels has been at 6.5-7kW. SO yes, I think it's the CT's. They have a service appointment scheduled.

Reactions: holeydonut
Looked at SRP's usage/export/generation charts for the last week and according to them everything is running fine. I don't know what to think that could be defective. House is running off Powerwalls at night with no issues.

I went ahead this morning and shut the Power switch on Powerwall #2 off to see if I got the same "Load Meter Fault" error. When I got up, the system was in the error mode and Powerwall #1 was 100%. When I turned Powerwall #2 on, the Load Fault went away, the House kW level was again correct and the Powerwall charge level went to 73%. Tomorrow morning, I will turn Powerwall #1 off to see if the same thing happens. If it does, then Sunrun is incorrect in their troubleshooting that one of the Powerwalls is defective.
So, for all of you out there, s the load meter for the house in the Gateway 2? or somewhere else?

I went ahead this morning and shut the Power switch on Powerwall #2 off to see if I got the same "Load Meter Fault" error. When I got up, the system was in the error mode and Powerwall #1 was 100%. When I turned Powerwall #2 on, the Load Fault went away, the House kW level was again correct and the Powerwall charge level went to 73%. Tomorrow morning, I will turn Powerwall #1 off to see if the same thing happens. If it does, then Sunrun is incorrect in their troubleshooting that one of the Powerwalls is defective.
So, for all of you out there, s the load meter for the house in the Gateway 2? or somewhere else?
As miimura said the house load is a calculated by the GW2 from the values from the solar production CT, the grid CT, and what the powerwalls are reporting in terms of power in/out. Obviously with a reported negative home load one or more of those values is incorrect and I assume that is triggering the load meter fault message.

As miimura said the house load is a calculated by the GW2 from the values from the solar production CT, the grid CT, and what the powerwalls are reporting in terms of power in/out. Obviously with a reported negative home load one or more of those values is incorrect and I assume that is triggering the load meter fault message.
I am starting to think it's the GW that is having issues

I talked with Tesla Support yesterday, and the young Lady was very helpful in identifying that, yes, something in the GW2 is not operating correctly. She said to have the Sunrun tech when he arrives, (Mar 31st), to call them and they will help to step through troubleshooting process. I guess we will not have solar for most of that day during the process.

Update for everyone, seeing another post about CT's from Tesla being defective. Sunrun Tech was here the other day and worked with the Tesla Technical Support people and found that the CT's in the Gateway 2 were defective, causing the "Load Meter Fault" when the PWs charged to 100% and the power from the PVs was high. They now have them on order from Tesla, so I don't expect them to be replaced any time soon seeing how bad support from Tesla is. So in the meantime, just have to put up with the inaccurate readings on the App and my tablet, (I have it hooked up to the IP address of the Gateway).

Reactions: aesculus
Ok, Final UPDATE!! Sunrun Tech came back today with a new Neurio meter. He replaced it and did the setup, he couldn't get past one step in the installation, (he couldn't delete the old serial number), so he called Tesla Installation support and they walked him through things. The Tesla tech stated that his readings weren't right, and to check where the CT's were located. SO, it turns out the original install crew had put the CT's on the main power lines coming in from the grid! The Tesla Tech said to put them onto the non-backed up loads.
The Sunrun Tech did what they said and stuck around until the Powerwalls hit 100% charge. Lo and Behold! NO LOAD METER FAULT!!
So the original install crew had goofed.
Bravo ZULU to Tony Oldfield from Sunrun for a good job!

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
OK... FINAL FINAL FINAL Update. The previous post turned out to be wrong as the power level of the PVs was low,(4.5kW), so the load meter fault didn't happen. Later on it did. April 13th Sunrun came back and moved the one CT, (turns out it was supposed to be placed on the power lines coming from the PVs into the Enphase Combiner), to the proper location.
So here we are 2 weeks later and I don't know if the software finally caught up, or it was the Tesla update to the PWs and Gateway, but the past 4 days, there has been NO Load Meter Fault indication!! In fact, it looks like my system has gotten more efficient in the fact that our PWs are fully charged quicker now than before. (just checked the Tesla App, AFTER the Tesla update the Load Meter Fault went away).
So, come summer I'll see how quickly they charge with the A/C pulling 4kW when it runs. Last year in July, our SRP bill was $105. Maybe it will be less.
By the way, March bill was $20.

Last edited:
Well, I thought the last post was gonna be the last!! LOL! But, UPDATE!! When Tesla did the 23.4.2-1fe55682a update, the Load Meter Fault, (happening when the Powerwalls got to 100% and PVs were producing more than 4kW), went AWAY!! Additionally, when the Powerwalls went into Stormwatch and were charging from the grid, I noticed out house power indication, DID NOT go up proportionately either. So since my post in April, the system has been working fine!!