Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Load Sharing Gen 2 and Gen 3 HWPC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,
We have a gen 2 HWPC - and want to get another HWPC to loadshare.
Since Gen 3 is only $400, we planned to go this route, but werent sure if you can load share the two gens together?

Do I need to sell the Gen 2 and get 2x Gen 3s, or can I just get a Gen 3.

Thanks for your help!

I am interested in same question which you have probably answered but just wanted to check. I had 2 Gen 2 chargers connected by a CAT cable so they could talk to each other. One went wrong and Tesla sent me a Gen 3 charger, which is now installed. I understand it cannot 'talk' my older one as there is no wifi on that, but is there a way of connecting the CAT cable to the new Gen 3 charger? I ask because there appears to be a connector but I am not sure it is correct. It would seem important to be able to have a wired connection to a router in case the wifi signal does not reach, but I cannot find any info about. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I understand it cannot 'talk' my older one as there is no wifi on that, but is there a way of connecting the CAT cable to the new Gen 3 charger? I ask because there appears to be a connector but I am not sure it is correct.
No, there isn't. When the Gen3 first came out, people saw that network connector on the board and briefly had hope it could be wired back to the Gen2 units, but it seems to be non-functional. There isn't a way to do that. So if you want sharing, you have to sell/trade/buy one or the other to get two of the same version.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Thank you that is very helpful. It seems that Although test it replaced my old generation two unit, it means I’m going to have to get another new generation three charger to make my system work, or the whole thing trips the whole time! I wonder if there’s a secondhand market for a perfectly good generation 2 wall charger? I hope so. Thanks again for the advice, very much appreciated

I'm looking to replace my gen 2 charger with a gen 3. Is this a fairly straightforward process or should an electrician do it?
It's a simple task in terms of the number of steps that are involved but it's important that you understand that any one of those steps done incorrectly could result in your house burning to the ground. That's not hyperbole either. If any of that scares you you should get a professional involved. It shouldn't cost too much to have them take care of it for you in a safe and proper manner.

It's a simple task in terms of the number of steps that are involved but it's important that you understand that any one of those steps done incorrectly could result in your house burning to the ground. That's not hyperbole either. If any of that scares you you should get a professional involved. It shouldn't cost too much to have them take care of it for you in a safe and proper manner.
Thanks. Working in electrical projects are the only type I don't like!